What happened while riding your Seca II today?

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region:: Wisconsin
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:33 am

On Sinday i decided I would take a little ride towards Lake Michigan and down lake drive towards the summerfest grounds. all was going really well and it was a beautiful day for a ride. About half way down Lake drive I rounded a corner, corners are fun. Lake drive has several spots with linked corners that go left then right right away. As i rounded the right corner headed south and accelerated out of the corner I was greeted with a torn up road! The corner is a bit blind and there were no road signs entering the corner. Nothing happened, I didn't go down or anything and was able to get the bike straight and up right before hitting the gravel, it just surprised me a bit. They really needed some warning that construction was going on ahead. I hope the rich that lie in the masions there enjoy the new water main!!
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:27 am

ride92 wrote:On Sinday...
Is "Sinday" the day you don't go to church?

Seriously though, glad you didn't go down! That could have been bad...and you might have gotten hurt, too!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Maine
Motorcycles:: 2015 FZ-07 (now) 1993 XJ600SE, 1989 XJ750 Virago
United States of America

Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Good thing ONE of us went to church. I was praying that gravel wouldn't take you down, Ride! Saw it all in a vision, I did... :)
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.
ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region:: Wisconsin
Motorcycles:: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 pm

LeighTower wrote:Good thing ONE of us went to church. I was praying that gravel wouldn't take you down, Ride! Saw it all in a vision, I did... :)
What?!? That's a bit freaky if you were actually dreaming about my bike. You got worse then I do!
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles:: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Today I was riding along when all of a sudden... there was no shifter :o

I look down and the bolt that holds the shifter to the rear-set was missing and the shifter assembly was just hanging off the selector...
I had to ride the last mile to work in 4th gear, through town... Poor clutch :(

I have one of the shouldered bolts in my inventory but just have to go out the house to get it...
The last 4000 miles have been hard on my poor Seca... Crashed into a ditch and cracked the fairing, biffed an attempted wheely and bent the handlebars, got gravel under my tank bag and scratched the tank, my wheel bearings need replaced, the front rotor is warped, my dash is cracked, and she really needs an oil change, and chain adjustment.

I am still temporarily living in a Hotel so all my tools and a place to work are at my new rental house that we can't move into until the 24th... ARRRGGGHHHHH......
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Maine
Motorcycles:: 2015 FZ-07 (now) 1993 XJ600SE, 1989 XJ750 Virago
United States of America

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:12 pm

And all this after trailering that baby to your new state (or was that someone else we convinced)? :what: I guess you gotta give love to get it! :)
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.
superman22x
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Motorcycles:: 94 XJ600

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 am

Yesterday I had an adventure! While riding to work, my lunchbox decided to bail on me. Which wouldn't have been a big deal. Except, I wear khakis to work, and things don't stay in my pockets too well. So in my worry that my wallet, phone, glucose meter, and so on would bounce out of my pockets while riding, I decided to put them in my lunch box, that I bungie cord onto the back of my bike. So I get to work, and realize the tail of my bike is now empty. I quickly go back and retrace my route. Find it in piece on a two lane access road/on ramp. Busiest part of the drive to work. My wallet is in the middle of the road. My keys are all in a pile. I gather them up in between bursts of traffic. Got everything back except my student ID and... social security card. Luckily we had some torrential downpour last night, and I know that part of the road was badly flooded (it was closed it was so bad). So I'm hoping the card got destroyed enough in that rain. Or whatever pulled it out of my wallet also ripped it hopefully.
The expensive part was my Infiniti key that I found, but the chip was missing. Being my only copy, I had to have my car towed to the Infiniti dealer 30 minutes away to get a new one made. So $470 later, I have a new key... Thankfully I have roadside assistance, so I don't have to pay the towing fees. That $1/month paid off here.

To top things off, I had a meeting at 8:30 with my boss's boss. Basically an interview for a fulltime engineering position at Ford (I'm an intern now). I got in at 8:28. It was really hot out yesterday, and I was running around in my leather jacket and helmet searching for keys on a freeway onramp. Sweating like crazy. Luckily, the guy I was meeting with was a fellow rider, and I told him the story and we just talked about motorcycle for a while.

I'll post some pictures of the keys in a bit from my phone.

Two lessons:
1) Do NOT carry your social security card in your wallet
2) Do NOT trust an ordinary bungie cord. Get a bungie net.

It wasn't the worst Monday I've had. But it's up there, haha.
superman22x
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 am

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region:: West Coast
Motorcycles:: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:17 am

You are so lucky that the boss was also a rider. What if he'd been one of those who hates motorcycles? And $470 for a key? Way too much, in my opinion.
Better to be over the hill than under it.
superman22x
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:33 pm

1Oldman wrote:You are so lucky that the boss was also a rider. What if he'd been one of those who hates motorcycles? And $470 for a key? Way too much, in my opinion.
$470 was the total. Towing was $150. Key was $170. Labor was the rest. Stupid chipped keys. None of the locksmiths in my area had the SSD programmer required for my car. Plus, locksmiths can't always be trusted, especially not in Detroit. Sadly.
The price of the key is the ridiculous part, the supplier to Infiniti is Ilco. From Ilco, the exact key costs $24. I needed my car though, and Infiniti will only work with an "Infiniti" key. And Labor, I'm not really sure why it took so long... That part doesn't make sense to me either. Coding should only take a few minutes, same with cutting.

The key folded in half was my original yamaha key, the only OEM one I have, haha. Oh well. The Ilco copies are much better anyway.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us