A view from the central Florida highlands

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
gentlemanjim
New to XJR
New to XJR

A view from the central Florida highlands
- Gentlemanjim

So you think Florida is only seashore and sea shells eh? Well it took me 17 years to discover this great riding and unique well guarded secret in the sunshine state

The SV Riders held their third annual bike rally at the Lake Louisa State Park, Clermont, Florida. And I was honored to be invited by Tom Swartz the event organizer, his lovely wife Lori and Craig Freger. We were greeted by cool crisp nights, bright clear skies and dry well paved twisty roads.

Lake County Florida situated only 25 miles west of Orlando with towering 400 foot vertical elevations. Certainly not the Florida seen on “Wish you were here” post cards. Hell back when I lived in upstate NY we snow skied at such staggering heights. I joined a mixed group of riders with a diverse mix of bikes other than Suzuki SV’s among the non conformists were a Kawasaki ZRX1100, Moto Guzzi California, Kawasaki ZX636, BMW R1200ST, a real authentic raced back in the day Yamaha RD350 and my own fresh from a frame off restoration Honda CB650 Café.

The ride led by our trusted friend and local Russell on his trusty BMW ST1200 which has logged an incredible 119,000 miles and still looks and runs pristine. The route while not rivaling the Blue Ridge Parkway’s Tail of the Dragon was an incredible 180 miles filled with enough switch backs, corkscrews and decreasing radius turns to keep us well entertained for a full day of riding. Broken by a spectacular lunch at Gator Joes where we witnessed a sea plane land on the placid waters of one of the hundreds of lakes surrounding the area.

And of course what self respecting bike event would not be complete without a spectacular cook out, a few cool ones, some tall tale telling (you know the older I get the better I was) and camaraderie second to none. Pleased to report everyone survived and returned home safely only to begin plans for next year’s even more spectacular riding event. You can keep the beaches and seashells I’ll take the Florida high country anytime.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login