Adventures with Radare

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:43 pm

I've decided that, instead of giving you all ride reports everytime I ride, I'm going to start a ride thread to show my adventures. :D

So I've consolidated the other two threads and will add my future adventures here.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Rode through Coal and Clear Creek Canyons! This is one of my favorite rides on my SV. I took the XJ through it this morning and holy hell. The bike is perfectly suited for the ride with the wide bars and desire to lean as far as I ask her too.

Started with the usual breakfast: Starbucks coffee and coffee cake in Golden.

After that, I rode up Clear Creek Canyon to Blackhawk, turned north on the Peak to Peak highway and cut off at Coal Creek Canyon. Had one hell of a good time and met a guy on an older Streetfighter XJ600 ('91). Very similar bikes when compared side-by-side; you can see the evolution of design.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

I'm going to risk annoying Prafeston and post the pictures I took today. I rode thorugh Pike National Forest and down to Garden of the Gods on the XJ. Had a fun time. There were some steep gravel descents (15% grade) and the XJ did just fine.

The ride report can be found here.

Just west of Sedalia:

Just inside Pike National Forest:

Stint on the gravel road:

(15% grade downslope :D )

Platte River:

Snack break in Woodland Park:

Garden of the Gods:

Lunch at Subway before heading home on HWY 105:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Rode lefthand canyon with my buddy on Saturday. Had a great time. Decided to explore the roads north of Jamestown and found some awesome curves and nice scenery. On the way back, he took a corner a little hot and lowsided his Nighthawk. He was wearing full gear and it did it's job. He's fine other than a few abrasions. The bike needs a repaint, new handlebars, new mirrors, headlamp, signals and engine cover but it did make the 50 mile ride back to town.

Here's the curve he went down on. The scrapes are from the side stand and the engine cover. He didn't want me to photograph him or the bike so I respected that wish. The gravel kept him and the bike from getting entangled in the guard rail. A nice pair of british men on an old Kawasaki stopped and helped us get things back on the road. Thanks guys!

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Tonight I rode through Deer Creek Canyon. Nice ride and I hit it right at dusk; beautiful. The only problem? Bugs. Popping on my helmet and sounding like rain. I've put a thousand miles on the XJ over the last week and a half. Great little bike.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Rode through Golden Gate Canyon after work. I've been down this canyon several times but never at dusk. Traffic was almost non-existant, the weather was a cool 55 degrees, there was a full moon in front of me and a sunset to my back. It was the perfect place and time for this ride and I couldn't have had a better time.

And a cameo mug-shot!

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Took the route from Morrison to Idaho Springs (up to Mt. Evans) this morning. It was a brisk 45F as I passed the turnoff to Mt. Evans' Summit. Beautiful ride and no rain this time.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:46 pm

10ldman wrote:Hoowee, I'm breathing hard just looking at the pictures, what elevations were you at?
11,500 feet, give or take. If I ever remember to bring cash, I'll take the road to the Summit of Mt. Evans. That's a lick over 14,200 feet. I'm not entirely sure how the bike will run at that altitude but it'll be fun nonetheless.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Took a ride out to Lyons, up Highway 7 toward Estes Park and then back on the Peak to Peak highway to break in the new back tire. Near Allenspark, I heard a clunk and pulled over immediately. The left chain tensioner had vibrated loose and managed to rotate itself into one of the sprocket nuts and then bent itself outward. It made a mess of the tensioner and the end of the swing-arm, but I salvaged the pieces and rode the remaining 60 miles without the tensioner in place. Lesson learned: Check the tension on those chain tensioners after installing the back wheel or doing chain work.

On a positive note the new Kenda Cruiser S/T back tire felt great and the bike's stability at speed seems to have improved!

Took these photos with my Cell phone:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

One thing I really needed for longer trips (like the one I have planned to Fairbanks Alaska next summer (yes, on my XJ)) is a good pair of saddlebags. I bought a set of Nelson Rigg Silverstreaks from NewEnough for $85 a few weeks ago and they're a good fit for the XJ. I am working on designing a side-bar that will go between them and the fairing to keep them from scratching the fairings. I'd highly recommend them if you're in the market for a pair.

And as you know, I've also recently purchased a '99 BMW Funduro which I hope to use for some dual sport type rides. I'd like to get som experience with dirt and see some of Colorado which I currently am missing.

Here's the first Adventure with my new AVenture bike ( ;) ). This is Grapevine Road, just after turning off I-70:

Same road, much further south:

Back onto Morrison Road, headed toward Morrison:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: