Adventures with Radare

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Those roads look in surprisingly good condition considering they don't get maintained, don't they suffer any water damage from rain or snow melt running off the hills ?
wzc0014
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Auburn, AL
Motorcycles:: 1992 Seca II

Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:33 am

Looks like a great ride! Excited about exploring some mountainous part of the country once we move out that way.
But, what's what the google maps? 2h 19min to ride 38.1 miles? Surely you rode faster than 19mph?
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region:: North Colorado
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:55 pm

mikee112 wrote:Those roads look in surprisingly good condition considering they don't get maintained, don't they suffer any water damage from rain or snow melt running off the hills ?
They do get a bit rutted. To further clarify, Level 6 roads are not maintained during winter months, but I believe they get graded a couple times in spring and summer after the runoff is finished. They also get a bit of dust abatement applied, which makes them pretty hard packed.
wzc0014 wrote:Looks like a great ride! Excited about exploring some mountainous part of the country once we move out that way.
But, what's what the google maps? 2h 19min to ride 38.1 miles? Surely you rode faster than 19mph?
That's actually pretty accurate, I'd say. Some sections were pretty unsuited to street bikes. Tight, washboarded switchbacks, lots of loose dirt. There was a lot of time spent in 2nd gear just putting along. Downhills were a little sketchy, so we were pretty conservative on the descents.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:35 pm

The weather today was a beautiful, sunny, 70F in Boulder, so I decided to install the new rear shock on PBT and then venture out for a good ride.

I headed out toward Lyons and then up Highway 7 to Allenspark. The road was clean, covered with shadows. I had fun zipping in and out of the sunlight as I snaked my way west.

As I was riding up Hwy 7, I kept seeing these small paved roads headed off into the forest on the righthand side of the road. I decided to pull off and explore some of them. The first I took led me down into the town of Raymond Colorado. A place I'd never been. I followed the road as far as I could go and then turned around and found this overlook:

Buried in the brush next to the bike I found this little guy, or, what's left:

A few more miles down the road, I found another pull-off that ran along the creek. I decided to explore it too.

When I parked and looked down, I found a memory card that someone had lost:

I picked up the memory card, wondering if I could figure out its owner, and explored the creek:

I enjoyed this area and stayed for a good half-hour before deciding to head on down the road:

The total ride was only about 50 miles, but it was much needed. PBT did well, as always, and the new tires are feeling really good. The bike feels heavier with them on but otherwise, they corner well. The noise is noticeable as you push them over and gives a good warning that you're getting close to the end of the tread.

And if you're wondering, the memory card I found was full of some family's photos. But there were picture at an airport and areas I didn't recognize, likely indicating they were from out of state. I couldn't find any address or location info anywhere. But I do have this woman's memory card if any of you happen to recognize her:

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:29 am

Nice ride. :) And I'd try Facebook with the pics. That'll spread them around quickly enough.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:38 pm

I grew up in a small, rural town in eastern Colorado. It looked much more like Kansas than Colorado. I spent many years as an active member of the local 4H club and won many ribbons at the local and state fair in such things as woodworking, raising rabbits, and horseback riding. In my early teens, I even competed in a few gymkhana events though I never really did very well. I spent a good number of years as a kid, riding horses and enjoying the rural life. In my mid teens, I wanted nothing more to be a cowboy when I grew up. Here I am in 1992 (coincidently, the year both of my XJ's were built), helping my sister with her horse. I was 14 give-or-take at the time.

phpBB [video]

Of course, that didn't much materialize and feels another world from where I am today. As I age, and near my mid-point in life, I give more thought to those early years in that small town. I grew up on country music and it has a special place in my heart. One of my favorite singers was a bronc rider named Chris Ledoux, who, in 1991, released a song, "Blue Bonnet Blues", which really hits home for me sometimes.

phpBB [video]

Chris Ledoux passed away in 2005. At that time, his home was a small town in Kaycee Wyoming. There, they have created a memorial park for him. And that is where this adventure will take me. I plan to take a ride, some 1000 or so miles, and visit that memorial park in Kaycee Wyoming.

Here's my current route. I'm thinking, maybe mid-May for a timeframe. If the weather is warm enough, then, I may swing west into Yellowstone National Park while I'm at it. And I plan to take the Bonneville on this ride instead of my XJ. It feels more like the right-bike for the trip.

This ride will take me through some very beautiful country. This will be my summer vacation and a ride I'm quite looking forward to taking. More to come, soon.

phpBB [video]
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:30 pm

I decided that I'd spent enough time in cubicles and offices and took the Bonneville out for a 320-or-so mile ride. Here are some of the highlights of the day's trip.

Started out in Boulder at Kathleen's house. Note the new Tachometer?!

Rode to my house in Denver. I had left my Sidi boots there and so I wore a pair of steel-toed boots and rode to Denver to get my better gear.

From there, I decided to take a trip out to Granby. First stop on that trip is Berthoud Pass. This is one of several passes along the continental divide and took myself/the bonnie up to 11,300 ft.

This elevation puts us pretty close to treeline.

From there, I headed up Colorado 125 which is one of my favorite roads.

This area has suffered greatly from beetle kill; despite this, it is still a very beautiful, quiet and easy route.

This pass brought us up to nearly 10,000 feet and did it much more easily than Berthoud Pass shown earlier.

At the north-end of 125 I saw this monster looming in the distance:

I decided to pull off and consult the map. The mosquitos were so bad that I didn't stay long.

I broke west along US 14 which takes me through Poudre Canyon. Here I am on my way up to the summit. Notice again, that we're close to treeline.

While taking that photo, it began to rain. I decided to hightail it over the pass and down through the canyon. I stopped at Poudre Falls to dig a fly out of my ear and decided to snap some photos.

From this point, it began to sprinkle so I hit the road again. At Dadd Gulch, the skies opened up with the most-fierce thunderstorm I've ever ridden through. Torrential sheets of rain so thick I couldn't see more than 50 or so feet in front of me. I shifted down to second gear and the Bonneville and I crawled along, 10 to 15 mph. I rode in this downpour for 30 miles. By the time I reached Fort Collins, I was shivering uncontrollably and wanted nothing more than to get out of the cold and get a cup of coffee. No photos of the misery.
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:31 am

Great Report as usual, Luckily for you Triumphs don't mind a downpour, after all they do come from England...lol
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region:: North Colorado
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:04 pm

I'm going to buy you a raincoat one of these days.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
Maddy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Devon
Motorcycles:: 1992 xj600 diversion 2000 xj600 diversion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:08 pm

mikee112 wrote:Great Report as usual, Luckily for you Triumphs don't mind a downpour, after all they do come from England...lol

Too true :)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us