Adventures with Radare

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles:: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Can't wait to see arches in Moab!
Id like to take a trip out there, just dont have enough vacation time to really explore.
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:22 pm

It was forecasted to be sunny and in the high 30's here in Boulder, today, so I decided to take out both of my XJ's and put a few miles on them.

I took the stock red one out first. It fired right up and is less cold-blooded then my black one (with the same jetting; go figure). I didn't ride too far with the red one; 15 miles or so. Just enough to get some fuel through the carbs and keep things lubricated. I did notice that the red one is leaking oil from its oil-level sender. It looks like its coming from the o-ring that seals it to the sump. I'll be ordering a new o-ring and replacing that in the early spring.

Then I took out the black one. I decided to ride it over to Qdoba for lunch.

After that, I had them both out and decided to take some shots of them together. I have made so many changes to the black one, I forget sometimes just how far its come.

These two bikes ride completely differently. The red one is soft. It sinks a bit when I sit on it, it soaks up the bumps and it feels a bit top-heavy in the corners at slow speeds. Its brakes are predictable and they're soft too. Its comfortable and quiet.

The black bike, on the other hand, is a beast. Its ornery when its cold but goes like snot when warm. It's exhaust rumbles. It's faster (feeling) than the red bike. Its suspension is firm. It's brakes are firm; it'll stop on a dime. It's riding position is more aggressive. It corners quite well. It drops in easily and is quite fun to throw around.

Oh, and here's a good comparison between the stock 130-series 18" tire and the swapped 150-series 17" tire.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:36 pm

It was a beautiful 78 degrees outside and so I took the bike out for a short ride. I only put about 30 miles on the bike but had a blast doing it.

Here's a short video showing the front fender's view of the morning:

HcUxh7YH_Kw
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:30 pm

aviatortony
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Arizona
Motorcycles:: 2007 r1, 1996 seca ii, 1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Looks awesome! Can't wait to hit the road again!
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:01 pm

I spent some time this afternoon performing maintenance on the red '92 and decided to get out afterward and see how she rode. I went west, up Lefthand canyon, north on Peak to Peak highway and down into Lyons. Given that its been 6 months or more since I've been on a good curvy roadway, I had forgotten how much fun they are. And the old Seca II did well the whole way. Still lots of snow and gravel at the higher elevations.

aviatortony
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Arizona
Motorcycles:: 2007 r1, 1996 seca ii, 1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic

Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Great pictures man! It looks amazing out there! I miss living there..
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Don't exactly have a timeframe for this one yet, but I want to explore this road early-summer or early-fall. Colorado 141.

Here are some GMap images take from that road:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon May 18, 2015 10:04 pm

Radare Plan His Next Adventure: A trip to Moab and Canyonlands Utah
First off, when did Google Maps start sucking so badly? It's nearly unusable on my I7 laptop. I can't embed maps. I can't quickly create a route. Geez, Google, WTF?!

So, I have some time on my hands and a few days-off from work, in the near future. What to do? Let's have a new adventure. I've been wanting to get the bike out and ride through the canyons near Moab, UT. Why not now?

Looking at my calendar, I have June 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th & 16th off from work and K will be in Texas. Perfect time for a trip. The mountain passes will be open and Moab won't yet be to triple digits. Perfect.

I haven't yet taken my red '92 on a true adventure. Sure, it's been through Poudre Canyon, following 90 some-odd-miles of dirt road built atop an old narrow-gauge railroad. But that's not quite an adventure. To increase my comfort and chances of surviving the trip, I'll retrofit a pair of heated grips and a set of Givi E21 bags on the old girl. The grips will save my bacon once I get wet in the 50-degree tundra. And the E21's will give me a place for a spare tee-shirt, some Cliff bars and a bottle or two of water.

I'll spend June 11th making sure the bike's ready; changing the oil, adjusting the chain, filling the tires with air, and waxing the paint.

I'll leave Boulder, bright and early on June 12th and head toward Craig, Colorado, via Berthoud Pass. The first day will cover 230 miles as I pass over Berthoud Pass, past Granby Reservoir and out toward Craig. I'll stay in Craig, eat some dinner and spend some time in the Hotel's hot-tub.

June 13th, I'll get up early, have some grubbin' oatmeal at the hotel breakfast and hit the road. This will be the fun day. I'll ride across the pains and out to Grand Junction where I'll get lunch. After lunch, I'll break southwest through the Uncompaghre Forest along Highway 141. I'll follow 141 out to Naturita where I'll break west and into Utah. I'll stay the evening in Moab, having covered a total of 330 miles on the second day. This is where I'll really need that hot-tub.

June 14th, I'll get up early, have some more rib-stickin' oatmeal and hit the road. This day will be a tour of Canyonlands. I'll stock up on supplies at the local City Market and then head south toward Branding. In Branding, I'll swing west on US 95 and dance with the Colorado river. I have a love for uniquely designed bridges and US 95 has two long-span bridges as it crossess the Colorado River near Fry Canyon. This is the day's desination. I'll visit the bridges, enjoy the canyons the Colorado has carved into the bedrock and then head north through Hanksville and on into Green River, rolling past 260 miles of red Utah clay.

By June 15th, I'll undoubtedly be sick of the bugs, sick of the trucks and ready to get the hell out of Utah. I'll get up late in Green River and spend the next 7 hours heading back toward Denver on I-70. It'll be a day of blowin' and goin' with about 350 miles of fine Colorado Interstate to traverse, including the Eisenhour Tunnel.

So there it is, a new adventure. Now, to get a set of Oxford Heaterz and a pair of Givi E21's ordered as I have some accessorizing to do before I do this.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles:: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 am

radare wrote:
First off, when did Google Maps start sucking so badly? It's nearly unusable on my I7 laptop. I can't embed maps. I can't quickly create a route. Geez, Google, WTF?!

I agree... I tried to email an embedded map to myself like I have done 100x before, and I gave up... It's definately less user friendly then before.
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us