The Cost of a "Free" Motorcycle - 1992 Seca II

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
EIF
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region:: New England
Motorcycles:: 1992 Seca II; 2015 CB300F
United States of America

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:39 pm

The cost of a “free” motorcycle.

The tale begins with a longtime acquaintance who I see often at their place of work. Having gone to his home on many occasions over a 20 year period, I knew he had a red 1992 Seca II hanging out in his garage. He had lost interest in riding over the years as new people and hobbies entered his life. So I knew about the bike, stored in a heated garage, languishing but not being truly neglected.

Fast forward to last summer. I encountered my acquaintance and he asked if I wanted the Seca. I thanked him but told him that I had just bought a bike. His reply was that he just wanted it gone, he had the title ready to go, all I had to do was come and pick it up.

So a week or so later I popped by with my trailer and he and his wife helped me load it up. He signed a $1 bill of sale and the title. I gave them a $50 gift card to Buffalo Wild Wings as a thank you, a free lunch for a free bike. Fast forward again to the second week of February. All of my other projects are sold. The Honda and the dirtbikes are sleeping soundly. It’s time to get to work.

First the bike had to be pulled from storage. When I say pulled, I mean dragged through the snow and ice from a storage shed to the garage. I shoveled the level ground in between, but left the approximately 10” of snow on the twenty feet of incline. It helped keep the bike upright and gave me needed traction. After 45 minutes of grunting and swearing, the Seca was tucked into the space formerly occupied by a Yamaha 3wheeler.

The immediate needs of the Seca are very apparent. The fork seals are blown, the gas tank has surface rust and a number if pin holes, the tires are rocks, both calipers are slow and sticky, and the engine has not been run in years. Carb cleaning and balancing will be necessary, and replacing rubber bits and hoses along the way.

A trip to the local multi-brand dealer miraculously produced a set of OEM fork seals. Dust covers needed to be ordered, again OEM parts. Total outlay $98. The quote from the dealer for the shock rebuild was an hour per shock, if I pull the shocks myself. Since I am bringing the front wheel to a different shop for a tire, pulling the shocks should not be too much trouble.

Hopefully by the end of the month I will have appropriately springy shocks and a new tire. While those parts are gone I will begin my assault on the tank and chassis. Stay tuned, pics to follow.
EIF
New to XJR
New to XJR
United States of America

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Dirty but undamaged under the seat. Electrics all seem intact. Add another $80+ to the butcher's bill for a new battery.

A picture worth a few dozen words.

All the lights and the horn work. Initially the flasher relay did not function, but I think the problem is in the switch. It is not responding positively to attempts to cancel the signals once activated.

Scaling, but I think the damage is limited to seam pin holes.

Pretty sure this is evidence of a slow leak over a long period of time.

Tank in a downward facing dog position with a gallon of white vinegar inside. There will be many other positions over the next week or so. Now I have to find where I stashed the can of sealant.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am

I have always enjoyed the idea of a free bike.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
EIF
New to XJR
New to XJR
United States of America

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Total as of 2/13/18 - $120.67

This does not include the gift for the previous owner or the title cost, one was optional, the other would be required regardless, so it does not factor into the build.

Stop me if you've had a bike conversation like this before;

PO: "Glad you've started working on the bike."

ME: "Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."

PO: "Huh, that's strange."

ME: "What, the left switch?"

PO: "No, the dogfood. I don't have a dog..."
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles:: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 pm

EIF wrote:
ME: "Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."

PO: "Huh, that's strange."

ME: "What, the left switch?"

PO: "No, the dogfood. I don't have a dog..."
This could be an early contender for post of the year already! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And my new sig!
EIF wrote:
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
EIF
New to XJR
New to XJR
United States of America

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:43 am

My first significant issue has emerged...

I attempted to start the bike after I had removed the garbage from inside the airbox. Transmission in neutral, kickstand up, clutch in. I was greeted with the headlight going out and a single click from the starter. The oil light did not come on and the battery is at full strength. There is plenty of oil in the engine and it is black as ink.

I tried bridging the posts on the solenoid and was rewarded with a fireworks show but no spinning starter motor.

To ease the stress on the starter motor I pulled the spark plugs. There was rust on the electrode and the base of the threads in cylinder 2, the others were OK. That obviously got me concerned, so I put the bike in 5th gear and tried pushing it to turn over the engine. The result of the attempt was a skid mark across the cement floor.

I presume that the Seca would be like other bikes I have had in that the easiest way to rotate the motor is to put it in a high gear and push it. Since that did not work, I am going to jack it up and try to turn the rear wheel by hand. If I can't budge it, then I know I have a seize. That will change the game dramatically, depending on whether or not I can break it free by hand.

There's WD40 down each cylinder, which will get to soak for about 12 hours. Then I'll have some Wheaties and try to turn the back wheel.

Wish me luck.
Casper

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:13 am

Since it's been sitting for a while, you're probably looking at a little rust ring around cylinder number 2. I expect the vavles were open on that one and that is why you see a difference in only its plug.

You can also use automatic transmission fluid for a good soak, the detergents in it are amazing.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles:: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s
Australia

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:37 pm

You may need to give it a little rock back n forth to loosen up..

Also

Have you confirmed the starter motor works???

1st useful point
If your Starter does not spin when you turn/press the ignition , you need to test the solenoid..

2nd useful point (this i already new but handy if you did not)
The Solenoid is a small black box directly connected to the battery via a red wire (battery positive lead) you can trace this back to the solenoid

3rd useful point
Bridge the gap between both posts of the solenoid with a insulated screwdriver.

If the starter motor spins when you make contact, the solenoid is bad; if the starter motor does not spin, the starter is bad...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Casper

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm

If the engine isn't turning over with rocking the rear wheel, I would be hesitant to try spinning it with the starter motor.
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles:: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s
Australia

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 am

^^ true true in saying that 2 bolts and the starter out to test it.. alot safer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us