XJ 1997N/I.O.M.

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Ronnie
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region:: Isle Of Man
Motorcycles:: 1997 XJ600N
Isle of Man

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Now I've introduced myself I now would like to start a thread regarding my project. I am going to make a Cafe racer/Project bike/Flatracker. I am trying to decide if I should go for a 17"rear wheel but kinda like original front end even though Its single disc and 38mm forks. Next thing is it's running fine at the moment but I see all sorts of posts regarding carburattion issues, what's the story? I intend to run open mouth trumpets.
Is it possible to match both wheels to 17" without changing swinging arm and forks.
I have sourced a 275mm Olhins rear shock but need advice on what to do with front end.
I have modified swinging arm to allow more room to get 4 x 31.75 pipes through for planned 4 into 4 exhaust system. Next what I am after is 2 x 4" / 5" nice twin headlight units. Anyhow if you have any thoughts on above let me know. Ta and Merry Christmas. Ronnie
Team Collins & Russell
Ronnie
New to XJR
New to XJR
Isle of Man

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Ok I am making progress on this project but need some questions answered if possible.
I managed to get a Suzuki Bandit 600 17" rear wheel which with a new spacer on disc side fitted straight in.
Engine is running good but while I have it removed from frame I would like to check valve clearances so where can I get a valve lifter from?
I would like to change or upgrade the cam tensioner so where could I obtain one?
Would there be a problem in relocating the fuel filter to above the carbs/float line?
Once I figure out how to post pics I will show you progress
Team Collins & Russell
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:33 pm

How's your chain alignment?

Cam chain tensioner hasn't been an issue as far as I have seen, fairly simple unit.

No issues moving the fuel filter, as long as your pump is functional. Why though? To get it out of sight?

PICTURES! I like pictures.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles:: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:33 am

I'd be interested to see the rear wheel set up. So you have one spacer custom made and with that it fits in and the chain is correctly aligned? If its that simple and you can post details of the spacer that would no doubt help lots of people do that mod!

You don't need a valve lifter to check clearances - is this something you use if you have to change shims? I've never had to adjust mine thankfully, a set of feeler gauges and access to the valves is about it to start with. I'm sure there's a video on youtube of a bloke hooking them out with a cable tie. The manual and how to section on here has loads of info.

As for posting pictures I'm sure there's a guide in the forum somewhere to using the gallery.

Good luck, looking forward to some pictures!
EIF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
Ronnie
New to XJR
New to XJR
Isle of Man

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 pm

I now think 17" wheel is of a Suzuki GS400/600, got it from a breaker.
It uses same 17mm spindle and same 13mm spacer on sprocket side.
I have changed the disc to a 210mm one with a Brembo calipers.
I have made up a new caliper bracket with the calipers underneath, also fixed bracket to spindle adjuster but allowing for chain adjustment movement.
I just want to hide the fuel filter and tidy up the area.
Thanks for replys and pics to follow
Team Collins & Russell
Casper
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:19 am

GSF400 or Bandit 400?
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Ronnie
New to XJR
New to XJR
Isle of Man

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:54 pm

WANTED A Fuel pump mounting bracket for 1997 xj600n. Anyone please?
Team Collins & Russell
Ronnie
New to XJR
New to XJR
Isle of Man

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm

SAM_3754.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Collins & Russell

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us