93 Seca ii, dang this thing is yellow!

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
theecube
Still Counting the Days
Still Counting the Days

Hey hey, so begins what I hope will be a productive build thread! TLDR: I got a 1993 1994 xj600s that had been sitting around since 2000 (inside, it appears at least), in need of some work. Fortunately, it was dirt cheap. Unfortunately, it was missing parts (i'll go into more detail below)

Here's an image of it on the way home:

NOTE: I'm busy/lazy/etc, so this will prob be a slow thread, but the dream would be to get it done over the winter! Of course, given it's the SF bay area, aside from some rain I could ride it all winter long, so the sooner it gets moving the better :V

What the bike needs:
  • Carburetor + Air box (yep, the whole thing) - prev prev owner left them out to dry, didn't realize it was trash day, and whoops someone recycled his carbs >_<
  • New battery
  • new keys - I already got a couple spares made from the existing cylinders- faster than re-keying the whole bike
  • gas tank bolts (front bolt + rear seat clip thing)
  • fairing + windscreen bolts/fixes - some of the fairing bolts have popped thru the plastic, looks like the bike went down at low speed (mild scuffing, but only on plastic), and all the windscreen bolts/rivets have sheared off somehow? screen isn't cracked tho
  • rust inside the fuel tank - looks like mostly crud/surface rust, gonna give the electrolysis method a shot
  • tires - this bike hasn't been reg'd/ridden since 2000(!) definatly don't trust these tires for anything
  • general maintenance/full fluid replacements + flushes
Eventual Fixes:
  • Exhaust burn on seat
  • New chain/sprockets - look in decent condition, but will lube up and see how it goes around the block
  • repaint? the yellow is kinda growing on me, i won't lie
  • some kind of rear rack/box/etc would be nice for commuting
Last edited by theecube on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s impossible to make a man understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it.” — Upton Sinclair

This topic has 36 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login