93 Seca ii, dang this thing is yellow!

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
theecube
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: SF Bay Area
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600S
New Zealand

Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:40 am

Hey hey, so begins what I hope will be a productive build thread! TLDR: I got a 1993 1994 xj600s that had been sitting around since 2000 (inside, it appears at least), in need of some work. Fortunately, it was dirt cheap. Unfortunately, it was missing parts (i'll go into more detail below)

Here's an image of it on the way home:
https://imgur.com/a/1PAYE

NOTE: I'm busy/lazy/etc, so this will prob be a slow thread, but the dream would be to get it done over the winter! Of course, given it's the SF bay area, aside from some rain I could ride it all winter long, so the sooner it gets moving the better :V

What the bike needs:
  • Carburetor + Air box (yep, the whole thing) - prev prev owner left them out to dry, didn't realize it was trash day, and whoops someone recycled his carbs >_<
  • New battery
  • new keys - I already got a couple spares made from the existing cylinders- faster than re-keying the whole bike
  • gas tank bolts (front bolt + rear seat clip thing)
  • fairing + windscreen bolts/fixes - some of the fairing bolts have popped thru the plastic, looks like the bike went down at low speed (mild scuffing, but only on plastic), and all the windscreen bolts/rivets have sheared off somehow? screen isn't cracked tho
  • rust inside the fuel tank - looks like mostly crud/surface rust, gonna give the electrolysis method a shot
  • tires - this bike hasn't been reg'd/ridden since 2000(!) definatly don't trust these tires for anything
  • general maintenance/full fluid replacements + flushes
Eventual Fixes:
  • Exhaust burn on seat
  • New chain/sprockets - look in decent condition, but will lube up and see how it goes around the block
  • repaint? the yellow is kinda growing on me, i won't lie
  • some kind of rear rack/box/etc would be nice for commuting
“It’s impossible to make a man understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it.” — Upton Sinclair

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: yamaha FZS1000
South Africa

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:34 am

Looks Like you have your work cut out for you! Goodluck and enjoy! Will be following this one!

Carbs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-93-YAMAHA ... 9i&vxp=mtr

Air box:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-Yamaha-Seca ... P4&vxp=mtr
I ride solo

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:26 am

Welcome to XJR man, looks like you have a good starting point. If you need/want any tips or tricks, feel free to let us know.

Are you looking to rebuild her stock or going to alter her at all? I look forward to seeing what all you do.

I don't know if mentally you are like me, but I will say that doing my own thread and seeing the feedback on what I was doing kinda spurred me on to really buckle down on the work and get my own build done. It might happen for you as well
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

theecube
New to XJR
New to XJR
New Zealand

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Here's another pic in the garage (need to clear that thing out, get some space to work!)

And thanks for the encouragement! (Renegade - your build log i devoured over the last couple days, so you might be on to something!)

As for plans, I'm gonna start with stock (gonna get #20 jets since gotta carb rebuild anyway), basically just get it running, and see what needs to be changed. I try and go by the mantra "if you're gonna replace, you might as well upgrade," so until I need (say) new shocks or forks, I'll use what I got! (also I'm cheap)

Carbs and Airbox are on their way, I started my shopping spree last week :v

Also I forgot that I have a box of all the parts the person took off the carb before they lost it, so I got basically every screw, bolt, float, needles/jets, etc besides the carb body, in case i need replacements.

PS: because I love spreadsheets, I'm planning on keeping a running tally of what I'm spending building out the bike - hopefully give the next newbie an idea of what they're in for!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
“It’s impossible to make a man understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it.” — Upton Sinclair

cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Southern California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:27 pm

FYI, that's a '94, not a '93... Looks to be in dang nice shape overall!
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II

theecube
New to XJR
New to XJR
New Zealand

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Hm interesting, the sticker with the vin/etc says 5/93, and the reg did come up as a 93, but a vin checker says it's a 94 as well. How can you tell/whats the difference?

theecube
New to XJR
New to XJR
New Zealand

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:00 pm

Working on the bike Day 1
or
"there's a reason that part was half the price of anything else on ebay"

Carbs and airbox arrived, and with nothing planned today (and it's nice out), time to take apart + clean before the gaskets get here.

Some corrosion, not great, but not terrible? one of the butterfly valves is stuck, so these definitely sat around for a bit

Makin' progress! a bit of that corrosion/powder floating around, but rubber boots look good, pins/needles look straight - better condition that the ones in my "box o' random carb parts" at least. locking pliers and an impact driver make taking rusty screws out a dream. (most of that dirt on the table was there already - working in the back yard)

Unfortunately, here's where things went not great. The float bowl side has a lot more rust on the screws, a couple heads sheared right off (again, locking pliers come in handy). One was so locked into the screw (since looks like both the cover and the body is threaded?) I had to cut the cover itself /:
(suddenly I was very happy to have spare covers!)

I mentioned "not so great"? Yeah, here's what the float bowls looked like

If you can't tell from the light/shadow, there is HELLA corrosion in there - every bowl had a bunch. Unscrewing the jets/jet holders actually some force, all those little screws that held down the retaining washer were instantly stripped they were so rusty. Also, 2 of the pins wouldn't even come out - one turns, but couldn't get a good grip on it, the other is locked in there pretty well (moves a little, but not much).

SO, back to ebay it is! Let this be a lesson kiddos, maybe don't buy the part that's 90$ when literally every other seller is listing 150-200$
Also, the connecting rod that linked the valves was bent, so this thing was taking out of a bike that must've had a SERIOUS wreck (wear your motorcycle gear, people)

Next set of carbs will be here by friday, and after that, with something like 2.5 carbs worth of parts, I'll cobble together a carb set, come hell or high water.

And now, some good news: airbox is in great shape, and all the rubber anti-vibration rings look in good shape.

Hell, there's even a usable air filter in here, not too dirty - hey, after those carbs, i'll take a win where i can get it :v

Now for pizza and homebrew

cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Southern California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am

theecube wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm
Hm interesting, the sticker with the vin/etc says 5/93, and the reg did come up as a 93, but a vin checker says it's a 94 as well. How can you tell/whats the difference?
The VIN sticker indicates the manufacturing date, not the model year. The VIN itself designates the model year.

The '92~'93 bikes are identical. They have a smaller fairing without vents and the vented windscreen mounted behind the fairing. They only came in red, dark green and black.

The '94~'95 bikes are also identical. Larger fairing, windscreen without a vent mounted on the outside surface of the fairing and the headlight is a different shape. Different fairing bracket behind it all too. These years came only in yellow and blue. The '96 was the same bike but came in different colors.

The above is only true for bikes sold in the US...

Yours is obviously a '94. No worries; lots of people think the sticker on the neck designates the model year... On my bike (which is a '92) it shows a '91 manufacturing date. But there was no such thing as a '91 Seca...
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks man, I love when my work can be of use to someone.

And its a cool idea so tally up cost, I'm getting ready to do that myself, as well as a part source list for the parts I got that are labled for other models.

Sucks that the carbs truned up so funky, but after that other one gets in you'll be fine. 2 or 3 to make one...it works. I HIGHLY approve of the thought process here; including the "if I'm going to replace it..." bit.

If you dont mind me asking, where are you located? Make sure that the #20 jets will work well for your elevation and that you get a good setup for the proper A/F ratio. Just trying to impart the wisdom I learned from other members. Lol
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

theecube
New to XJR
New to XJR
New Zealand

Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm

cafe_bill: interesting! yeah, looked up a couple 93 vs 94 photos and you're totally right - thanks for the heads up, in case i go about ordering any specific model year stuff ^_^ guess i gotta change the thead title now!
also, one thing that threw me is a prev owner took off the "seca ii" decals (did a good job at least - can't even tell where they were), so wasn't able to compare the logos between the years. Person I bought it from was thinking of doing the old black+yellow yamaha logo (like this)

renegade: yep, lesson learned (hopefully, we'll see how the next set looks...). As for cost, it was something I had been thinking since the beginning (I knew I wanted a project bike, something to fix up for cheap, and just waited until the right deal came along), and I also knew that whatever I expected, it would end up costing double (law of vehical projects!). I'm hoping writing things down will help keep me from getting distracted by shiny upgrades.

I'm in the east SF bay area, so basically sea level (even the big hills are <600 meters high) - so #20 should be quality (gonna see whats in the carbs before buying anything tho)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93