Replace or swap?

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:38 am

TwoWheelGeorge wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 pm
Man? You guys are tough critics. So leave it stock? I really respect your opinions because I am totally new to this, and basically playing it by ear. Gonna have think this through lol.
George... We would love to see someone get more power out of this motor, folk have tried in the past with limited success, the truth is Yamaha never designed this bike to be powerful, they designed it to be a reliable workhorse capable of high mileages...... and that's what it is
However nothing is impossible and if someone was willing to throw enough money at it ( you would prolly need a completely redesigned head ) I'm sure more power could be had.... the problem is you would end up spending three times what the bike is worth :(

johnny ro
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NH USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: wee strom K6, srx250, XJ600s

Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Agree

Was designed be a slow happy bike with just a bit of zip to it. And, real pretty.

My bet is on replace with another XJ engine and be happy.

Want fast, buy a fast bike. I see clean older FZ1s out there for $2k, silly fast for an upright seated bike.

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: yamaha FZS1000
South Africa

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:13 am

johnny ro wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 pm
Agree

Was designed be a slow happy bike with just a bit of zip to it. And, real pretty.

My bet is on replace with another XJ engine and be happy.

Want fast, buy a fast bike. I see clean older FZ1s out there for $2k, silly fast for an upright seated bike.
I recently got me the FZS1000 '08 And it is wicked! A great upgrade but do miss my XJ.
I ride solo

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:04 am

I also agree, if you want a faster bike - buy a faster bike that comes with all the go-fast and great handling sport bike goodies. Quite a few people over on advrider have the FZ1, both early and later generations. They seem to like them quite a bit as a good sport-tourer (emphasis on sport).
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93