80's XJ Cafe Project

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
MrSam
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi Guys

I thought I might start a thread on my Cafe racer project.
I first bought this bike around 4 months ago in this state and while it turned over, it would not start.
The original owner thought it to be an electrical issue.
3.jpg
Knowing that the bike was trying to turn over and that there was spark I moved onto the fuel delivery. (Air delivery was perfectly fine)
I started in the tank and although on initial inspection it looked fine, after removing the petcock I found that the reserve filter was dislodged and rust flakes were in its place. Luckily the filter was still floating in the tank...
After that I moved to the carbs, pulled them apart and cleaned out the extensive filth.
This was enough to get the bike running and it was time to take it for a spin.
Now that I knew the bike would run, it was time to order some parts for servicing including some much needed rubber intake boots.
1.jpg
At the time of replacing the boots I decided to look into the the carb settings. Mostly everything was good except the pilot screws. They were all over the place. Some were 1 turn out and others 4 turns out.

In the mean time i had the new clip on handle bars, speedo/tacho, bar end mirrors and fresh cables turn up.
Untitled.jpg
Now it was time to hack the frame and get it ready for the new saddle.
2.jpg
More to follow...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's about the journey not the destination.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login