OneTireFire's Naked Conversion

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Onetirefire
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: NC
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 seca 2, 1980 Suzuki GS550 (In Pieces)

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:47 pm

So after 2 years of having a bike that was fun to ride but revolting to look at I finally decided to bite the bullet and go naked. I had an old gs850 parts bike that had been sitting in the garage and I had an epiphany realizing that I had most of the parts to complete the conversion and got to work. Over the past few days I have also added LED strip turn signals, shorty levers, a KZ1000P speedometer (per Radare's suggestion) and gutted the undertail. It's come a long way since I bought it but I have finally reached a point where I don't want to sell it. I have a Vortex 50 tooth rear and a -1 front on its way from the UK. After that arrives all that remains is a new paintjob.

This is how the bike looked when I got it:

Here it is today:

So 2 things I learned while doing the conversion that everone might want to know:
1. GS850 headlight brackets fit our forks as they are only 1mm smaller in diameter. Simply spray the rubber grommets with windex while sliding them on and they'll go right on.

2. If you can weld up some simple brackets to hold a gauge (I stole the ones from the 850 as well) you can bolt them to the bottom side of the triple tree as the clamp holes are threaded all the way through. I'm trying to find some M8 bolts that are long enough to thread all the way through allowing the bracket to be held on with a nut from below. I'll update once I do.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Nice!

Really like the single dial look, and the bar end mirrors - nice and uncluttered.

Could you use some threaded bar rather than a long bolt? If you're struggling to find one the right length you could cut some threaded bar down (make sure you already have a nut on it to re cut the thread(and sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs!))

I have a -1 front sprocket and love it but still standard on the rear. Need to get a 50 tooth rear custom made here. Will you need to change the chain length running 15/50?

What colour were you thinking of for the paint?
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Onetirefire
New to XJR
New to XJR

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 pm

First off, thanks.

I went by fastenal and considered doing threaded rod but I found some longer M8's online in stock near where I work. I plan on picking up some of those tomorrow. As far as color I'm thinking a dark metallic blue and a gunmetal stripe, Ford Sonic Blue or GM LeMans Blue are my favorites right now. I have a friend that works in racing and had him make some infills out of Carbon Fiber from the team shop. I'm getting those in the next few days.

As far as the sprocket goes, gearing commander shows the 110 length chain working. It should move the rear axle forward .2" so it'll be within adjustment. I'll know for sure when i go to put them on.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:13 pm

I'd be interested in a ride report with that gearing - I'd thought about it as I dont tend to ride mine flat out anywhere, so the extra acceleration would be more useful! Not sure how vibey it would be?

Personally my money would be on the Ford Sonic Blue (having googled them lol) - much prefer it! Gunmetal grey would tie in with the engine/frame too.

Oh, and those infills are pure filth by the way, they look awesome! I was thinking of hydro-dipping my infills and side panels with a carbon fibre sheet to get a similar effect.
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 am

A new naked to look at. Like the paint scheme and the infill choice. Nice.

Onetirefire
New to XJR
New to XJR

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:13 pm
I'd be interested in a ride report with that gearing - I'd thought about it as I dont tend to ride mine flat out anywhere, so the extra acceleration would be more useful! Not sure how vibey it would be?
Well I got the sprockets on last week and took the bike up to the NC mountains for some fun twisty riding on Sunday. The gearing might be a smidge overkill but it is now so much more fun to ride. I rode home on the interstate between 80 and 85mph without issue. 6th gear pulls hard now so I found myself staying in 6th for most backroad riding on the way up to the mountains. As far as vibration it actually makes most riding better. My bike has always vibrated in 6th at 60mph (4000ish rpm). The gearing bumps it up about 800rpm at that speed so it actually smooths things out. Gas mileage did take a small hit dropping to about 43mpg from the 50mpg I normally get. That being said I haven't done anything other than flog it since I got the sprockets changed. One other benefit is that it can now power wheelie in first and 2nd gear clutch ups are pretty easy.

On the asthetic front I haven't had a chance to mount the infills but I did throw some YZ250 renthals I had laying around onto the bike and absolutely love the difference.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 am

Onetirefire wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:56 pm
One other benefit is that it can now power wheelie in first and 2nd gear clutch ups are pretty easy.

Never thought I'd hear the phrase "power wheelie" applied to an XJ600!! Sounds like I need a 50 tooth rear cog...

Onetirefire
New to XJR
New to XJR

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:14 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:46 am
Never thought I'd hear the phrase "power wheelie" applied to an XJ600!! Sounds like I need a 50 tooth rear cog...
I never thought it would either. I took it out and you can tap the rear brake at about 13mph then wrench the throttle and the front comes right up. I know that is somewhat cheating by using the fork rebound but it never did that with stock gearing. When I pulled in my driveway the first day I wondered what it would do at a really slow roll. Just pushing down lightly on the front and WOT resulted in a chest high wheelie and my crotch slamming into the tank when it caught me off guard and I let it slam back down. So I'll need a bit more practice but it is a much more fun bike now.

webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: arizona
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Nice job, OneTireFire! I really like the direction you're going. One question; what length M8 are you using? I'd like to explore a similar mounting system for my speedo.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 am

webman94 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm
Nice job, OneTireFire! I really like the direction you're going. One question; what length M8 are you using? I'd like to explore a similar mounting system for my speedo.
I agree. Love the color scheme. Consider an LED headlight. It's worth it!

Webman, if I had a guess, I'd think about 50mm. Add 10mm to what you have now to accommodate the additional speedometer thickness. The bolt holes in the triple are drilled through, btw, so if you get too long, they'll just run through.