Jims XJ600N thread

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 am

Think I've found some info on the swing arm bearings; being a bit tight, I didn't particularly want to pay £30 for two bearings.

Googling the Yamaha part no (93320-32403) and hunting through a few other forums (none as good as this one ;-) ) gives the bearing code as IKO TA2428Z, and the dimensions are as follows:

Inside Diameter: 24mm
Outside Diameter: 31mm
Width: 28mm

Bearing Station has them at £8.50 each so at £17 for the pair its nearly half the cost!

This is all based on the assumption that I break them when I remove them prior to powdercoat; I've been quoted £100 for both wheels and the swing arm as long as all bearings/tyres are removed
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:01 am

It turns out that "drifting" a swing arm bearing doesn't really work:
IMG_2979.JPG
This is the inner race and needles from one of the bearings. The outer race is still firmly stuck in place 😡

The inner lip of the outer race isn't strong enough to drift on, next stop will be heating the outside of the swingarm with a torch to try and loosen it off, but will need to wait till the weekend now I think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:38 pm

Well that didn't work either 😡

I suspect I will need to (VERY CAREFULLY!) cut the race to be able to move it, hopefully we have a dremel somewhere at work 😎

Here is the edge of the outer race which would rather break than leave the comfort of its snug little home:
IMG_2988.JPG
I'm quite keen to not make the same mistake on the other side!

On another note, white vinegar makes a very effective and cheap cleaning agent. I got a bit carried away and forgot to take pictures apart from the one below, but for light surface corrosion it wiped off with a rag, after 24 hours in vinegar. Not bad at 80p a litre! The other picture is my torque arm in an improvised bath 😂
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2983.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Mrs Jim has just bought me a blind bearing puller :-) :-) :-)

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:47 am

I really need to remember to take some pictures - most of the time I get a little way in and then remember. Today I didnt even manage that.

I have now cleaned up all of the fasteners for the brake calipers and have the components for each caliper removed, cleaned and bagged up.

I have also polished the brake pistons to see how much of the muck was stuck on. Using autosol chrome polish (which seems to be really good) I've managed to polish up the pistons but a lot of the corrosion is unfortunately the piston material, rather than residue from the pad backs. Three of the four I can confidently re-use as the corrosion is only on the top mm or so, and wont be anywhere near the seal. One of them though I think will need to be replaced, which is unfortunate as they're expensive :-(

Next job will be to remove the front wheel to get the discs off; once they're cleaned up, along with the fork lowers, I will have enough separate items to start painting things.

Items so far: torque arm, rear caliper mount, chain tension adjuster plates, footpegs, all three calipers, rear brake disc (inner ring painted), sprocket and carrier (painted).

The wheels and swingarm will get powdercoated at some point later on.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 am

Man, you are really going to town on that rear suspension. I remember doing siwngarm bearings once and it was real PITA. Don't even remember if it was on an XJ. No, now that I think about it, it wasn't. It was on a 1966 Austin Mini. The one with the needle bearings and the bushings that had to be field bored. Woof.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 am

radare wrote:
Man, you are really going to town on that rear suspension. I remember doing siwngarm bearings once and it was real PITA. Don't even remember if it was on an XJ. No, now that I think about it, it wasn't. It was on a 1966 Austin Mini. The one with the needle bearings and the bushings that had to be field bored. Woof.
Yeah, to be honest I didnt fully appreciate what I was getting in to! And as soon as you bash something with a hammer you're committed to keep on bashing! I'm hoping the inner lip of the outer race is intact enough for a bearing puller to grip on, or I'll be bribing a machine worker in the dockyard to bore it out for me.

The annoyance is that there was nothing wrong with the bearings but they need to come out to get the swing arm powdercoated. Oh well, at least I get some new tools out of it :-)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:45 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 am
radare wrote:
Yeah, to be honest I didnt fully appreciate what I was getting in to! And as soon as you bash something with a hammer you're committed to keep on bashing! I'm hoping the inner lip of the outer race is intact enough for a bearing puller to grip on, or I'll be bribing a machine worker in the dockyard to bore it out for me.

The annoyance is that there was nothing wrong with the bearings but they need to come out to get the swing arm powdercoated. Oh well, at least I get some new tools out of it :-)
If that bearing puller doesn't work, I've had luck cutting through the bearing cage with a hack saw blade (loose blade, one end wrapped in duct tape to protect my hands) in a couple of places and then drifting it out in pieces.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 am

radare wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:45 am

If that bearing puller doesn't work, I've had luck cutting through the bearing cage with a hack saw blade (loose blade, one end wrapped in duct tape to protect my hands) in a couple of places and then drifting it out in pieces.
I shall certainly bear that in mind! Bit worried about trying it with a dremel in case I goof it up and dig into the swingarm!

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:11 pm

So, its been a wee while since I put an update on here. My spare time seems to have dried up a little lately (yet another internal job move at work has meant putting some extra hours training in) so the bike has been sat in the garage not getting progressed at all :oops:

When I last left it, the biggest battle that I was facing was the swing arm bearings. There is a great youtube video that shows the technique required for this job.

Points to note though:

Drifting these bearings out in the same way you would attack a wheel bearing DOES NOT WORK. The lip on the outer race is too thin, so you will start to fold it over before you slip and smash the roller holder out of the middle.

A slide hammer / blind bearing puller is pretty much essential. I ordered this one from eBay for £20, I guess its much lower quality than the expensive ones but for all the time I'll use it, it'll do!

The puller on its own isnt enough. You will need heat! I felt like I was applying too much, but keep moving the flame around a bit and be patient with it.

Here's the puller set up and I'd just given it a beating after heating it (for about the third time)
bike swingarm bearing puller.jpg
Here's it starting to move (you have no idea how relieved I was to see this!)
bike bearing moves!.jpg
And here's the offending bearing:
bike bearing success.jpg
However, the other side (that I mangled trying to drift) still has the outer race in, and the blind puller isnt working, so I will be adopting Radares hacksaw-blade-and-a-rag trick to cut into it. I have access to a dremel but am worried about damaging the swingarm so I will go with a hand tool.

I also had a crack at polishing the footrest hangar but this post is at the limit of pictures so I will add them in a new post below!