Jims XJ600N thread

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:58 pm

I've asked myself that question once before doing the exact same task.

I used a set of wire cutters to cut through the bead wires in order to get the tire off, but I don't suggest anyone doing that either.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles:: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 am

Casper wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:58 pm
I've asked myself that question once before doing the exact same task.

I used a set of wire cutters to cut through the bead wires in order to get the tire off, but I don't suggest anyone doing that either.
Thats what I ended up doing. Pull the valve core out. Get a decent hacksaw and big set of tin snips/wire cutters, cut through all layers of tyre. Then attack with snips until you get to the bead, and then use the wire cutters for the bead.

Even with the bead cut I then had to stand on the tyre sidewall and use my body weight to get the tyre to start coming off - the bead was almost completely white with whatever adhesive was used!

On a plus note though both my wheels are at the powdercoaters for acid bath and powder coat. I'll be collecting them on monday! The orange they use is a high-gloss finish that is apparently a very good match for KTM orange 8-)
EIF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm

A wee update for y'all

Got the wheels back from powdercoating the other day. Today I got the front wheel bearings/spacer/speedo drive bits in, and for the rear wheel I got the left hand side wheel bearings, and the sprocket carrier and bearings installed.

The two wheels before powdercoat

here's the wheels as they are now

I do have a question for those of you that have done the 4" FZR rim. Can I use the spacer from the FZR axle or do I have to use the XJ one? Because the XJ one is still inside the XJ wheel.
EIF wrote:
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles:: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s
Australia

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pm

They look great

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:42 am

andrewed1 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pm
They look great

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cheers, I'm really happy with them!

On another note I've answered my own question on the spacer (or collar as its called in the parts catalogue). They are the same for the FZR as the XJ.

Using www.fowlersparts.co.uk you can search by part number and more often than not it will then give you a list of other compatible bikes which is handy!
EIF wrote:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us