Jims XJ600N thread

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles:: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 am

Cheers Olly. I had it in a bag labelled left hand caliper so I'm not sure how I managed to mix the two up!

Good to have someone else confirm this before I buy one though, there's a couple on eBay so I'll put an offer in on them and see how it goes.

Jim.
EIF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 am

I usually find it cheaper to bid on a pair with lines attached. Can usually pick them up for $50 that way and get more spare parts.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 am

haven't seen any like that, but I'll keep my eye out. I've put an offer on one on eBay, looks like its in reasonable condition - bleed nipple is free to turn and minimal corrosion on the outer edges of the pistons.

Just waiting for a response now and will take it from there.

In the meantime I need to get the needle bearings back in the swingarm and get it reinstalled. I can then add the original stock rear wheel, take the front wheel off, and try and get them powdercoated.
EIF wrote:
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 am

We are pretty lucky here in the US. While we only have one front caliper, they tend to be free from bad corrosion and thus, easily sourced. Good luck with it. What are you thinking? Disassembly and rebuild or clean up and install as-is?
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm

radare wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 am
What are you thinking? Disassembly and rebuild or clean up and install as-is?
The seller has accepted my offer so I’m getting a caliper delivered for £40. Advertised as being in pretty good condition - bleed nipple is free to turn, and the pistons are supposedly in good order. Will strip and clean, I have a seal set anyways to go in the other one along with new braided lines so it makes sense.
EIF wrote:
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Its been an evening of experiments, not least of which how to add a video (both to youtube and here). The gallery wouldnt allow me to upload as it was too big, and I couldnt work out how to make it smaller (other than standing further away from my phone while I watched it!).

So, for no other reason than it seems the best way to show what a brilliant job my local powdercoaters have done (for only £30!) here is a very short video showing my lovely swingarm :-)

phpBB [video]

I also got the needle bearings installed today, once I had cleaned the residual powdercoat from the edge of the bearing face. The bearings went in really easily; chucked them in the freezer for half an hour while I greased the inside of the swingarm. Whipped the bearing out the freezer, whacked a wee bit of grease on the outside of it, and then used threaded bar/nuts/washers to drive the bearing home.

This technique makes it easy as long as you take time to make sure the bearing is being driven in square; including the half hour in the freezer it only took an hour. There is a nut and washer the other end of the threaded bar (should have took another photo, I'll get the hang of it one day) just hold one and tighten the other till its flush, simples.

heres the installed bearing, as well as the swingarm protector once the hole was tapped clean (I also needed to run a 12mm drill through the suspension mount to clean the powdercoat out)

Next up was to play about with an old steam cleaner I found at home, to see if it could take some of the time/effort from cleaning manky bike bits. This cost a tenner at a car boot sale ages ago.

Heres the back of my right hand footrest hanger before cleaning

Here's the same after a steam clean. I had to take care to stay away from the switch, but it certainly helped although I still need to finish the job by hand

EIF wrote:
MattP
Formerly spr1
Region:: Silesia
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ 600 Diversion
Poland

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
The gallery wouldnt allow me to upload as it was too big, and I couldnt work out how to make it smaller (other than standing further away from my phone while I watched it!).
rotfl!

The paintjob is great though!
Got a question about the plastic chain slider(?) you have mounted there - is that new? I remember having to source one a couple of years ago and the price for a new one was plainly outrageous. Had to settle for a used one...
'96 Seca II
Matt
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
I couldnt work out how to make it smaller (other than standing further away from my phone while I watched it!).
Ha!
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm

MattP wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 am
Slartibartfast wrote:
The gallery wouldnt allow me to upload as it was too big, and I couldnt work out how to make it smaller (other than standing further away from my phone while I watched it!).
rotfl!

The paintjob is great though!
Got a question about the plastic chain slider(?) you have mounted there - is that new? I remember having to source one a couple of years ago and the price for a new one was plainly outrageous. Had to settle for a used one...
Its the original one; it looked really manky when I removed it but cleaned up really nice. Protected by over-zealous chain-lubing I guess. I'm guessing that it isn't going to be pretty when I remove the front sprocket cover!
EIF wrote:
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 am

Its been a slow weekend on the bike, all I've managed to do is clean the back of the engine (in front of the swing arm mount) while the swing arm is still off.

I also removed the silencers and remaining footrest hangar, all of these items have also been cleaned and polished.

Here you can see the layer of grime (about an 1/8" thick in places and really sticky)

This was taken from the other side of the bike, but boom...the dirt is gone. Petrol, cloths and an old toothbrush :-)

Next up was to remove the sprocket cover. 10 points to whoever can spot what is wrong here, this is exactly how it was when I moved the cover:

EIF wrote:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us