Jims XJ600N thread

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 am

Hi folks

I figured it was about time that I started a thread in here for my bike. Its probably not really a project, not like some of the custom jobs and restorations on here, but its now quite tired and in need of some TLC.

A little about me: I'm an electrical engineer (on paper) but with mostly mechanical (hyd/air systems) experience from a career on Submarines. Comes in handy for playing around with tools, I dont have a huge wealth of experience with engines but can generally work my way through things (especially with the help of you lovely lot).

The current bike is my second XJ; the first was a 600S in red, bought as a confidence builder following a collision with a deer on my previous bike. I sold it to move house and then bought my current 600N 3 years ago. Two Scottish winters have not been kind to it!

Its been off the road since the middle of last year due to work, family and a new hobby (MTBing) taking over. To be honest I'd kind of lost the buzz that biking had always given me. A mate (who has just passed his Part 1 test) has managed to give me the buzz back with his enthusiasm for biking, so last weekend I dragged the bike out of the corner of the garage (took an hour to free the brakes and wheels up), charged the battery, and she started without too much hesitation :)

So I've spent the last couple of hours crawling around it and have a list of jobs to do:

Brakes - new hoses, pads, seals, caliper paint - a full system overhaul
Wheels - paint, clean up discs, new tyres (front is gubbed and I have a new 4 inch rear with no tyre on it)
Chain - you'll see why in a minute!
Swing arm removal - to address corrosion issues and check / grease bearings / pivot points
Shock removal - as above
Oil pipes - wow, these are seriously manky!
Painting - touching up other bits to prevent corrosion getting any worse
Cleaning/degreasing - all the other bits that aren't mentioned above
Full service - I did the valve clearances less than 1k miles ago so dont plan on doing that this time round

Things I've already done since I bought it: new fork seals and 15wt oil; valve clearances and service; new chain and sprockets (-1 tooth on the front); heated grips (toasty); petcock overhaul; starter motor rebuild.

The good bit is that the engine runs, all the electrics/switches etc work, and I replaced the entire exhaust system 18 months ago so no issues there either.

If you've read all of this, wow you're patient!!! So heres some pictures of the bike in its current state!

Horrible oil pipes - anyone know where to get (or what to use as) replacements? The usual suspects dont have them!
shitty oil pipes.jpg
Dont think its worth trying to clean this!
manky chain.jpg
Front brake reservoir needs painting:
wtf no paint left.jpg
Same with the calipers (they're all similar!)
corroded caliper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Rdrasher
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Florida, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: (3) 92 Seca II's, 1993 GTS1000A

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:49 pm

your pics are not coming through.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Rdrasher wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:49 pm
your pics are not coming through.
Photobucket really hosed its users with the hosting restriction and fees. Jim; if you get a chance, shoot the pictures up on the site's gallery (it's pretty easy to use) and share 'em with us. I'm excited to see the progress.

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: France
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 Diversion S (97)
France

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 am

Lot of rust there! Scotland is really a wet land ;)

Good luck you have some work!
My project : '97 XJ600 S Rebirth

XJLiverpool
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Northwest, Liverpool, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha XJ600S (seca II)

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 am

I might have a spare swingarm, I'll have a look around when I finish work tonight for you if you're interested.
I live just a little South of you about 300miles south that is lol

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am

div wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 am
Lot of rust there! Scotland is really a wet land ;)

Good luck you have some work!
Yup. Combined with the incredible amount of grit that gets put down from October through to March (sometimes Sep-April!) it just eats things. Unfortunately you cant let the weather stop you doing things or you'd never do anything!!!
XJLiverpool wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:55 am
I might have a spare swingarm, I'll have a look around when I finish work tonight for you if you're interested.
I live just a little South of you about 300miles south that is lol

Cheers dude thats very kind; I'm going to strip it back and see how bad it is - the main arms of the swingarm seem ok its just the front end, I guess I'll see once I get it off the bike and cleaned up
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Finally managed to grab an hour in the garage today, and as I'd started at the aft end I thought I'd dismantle the rear brake caliper and torque arm as they're next in line for paint.

I hate brake calipers.

I used the brake pedal to push the pistons out as far as they would go and then split the caliper but still can't get the pistons out. Looks like I'll be finding a compressor at work, unless someone has any other top tips?

The pads, shims, etc are all pretty corroded. I'm going to try a vinegar bath to remove the rust - I reckon I can fill one for about £1.50 so it has to be worth a go!

I'll keep you posted...
IMG_2966.JPG
IMG_2963.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:49 am

Success!!!

Sometimes it's awesome having access to tools at work 😊

This time it was a grease gun and variety of attachments for it. With the rear caliper split, the attachment below goes straight on the bleed nipple. You will also need a bolt to blank the banjo bolt hole on the appropriate half of the caliper.

All you need to do then is hold your thumb over the internal port that links the two halves and get your mate to pump away! Leave your thumb off till grease comes out. Then hold it and three/four pumps on the grease gun and out they come!

All I need to do now is wait for the wife to go out so I can fire the bits through the dishwasher....
IMG_2968.JPG
IMG_2967.JPG

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
All I need to do now is wait for the wife to go out so I can fire the bits through the dishwasher....
Not sure if joking... but don't think that's a good idea. It's a pain to try and get that grease and grime out of the dishwasher. I have a friend that used his for a parts cleaner once, he has since replaced it due to this usage.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 am

Casper wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:48 am
Slartibartfast wrote:
Not sure if joking... but don't think that's a good idea. It's a pain to try and get that grease and grime out of the dishwasher. I have a friend that used his for a parts cleaner once, he has since replaced it due to this usage.
Hahahaha as much as anything it's to annoy the wife 😂 I've used it a couple of times but to be fair I've got the vast majority of the grease off things by then.

You can just about fit a wheel in one 👍
IMG_2976.JPG

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93