Jims XJ600N thread

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Hi folks

I figured it was about time that I started a thread in here for my bike. Its probably not really a project, not like some of the custom jobs and restorations on here, but its now quite tired and in need of some TLC.

A little about me: I'm an electrical engineer (on paper) but with mostly mechanical (hyd/air systems) experience from a career on Submarines. Comes in handy for playing around with tools, I dont have a huge wealth of experience with engines but can generally work my way through things (especially with the help of you lovely lot).

The current bike is my second XJ; the first was a 600S in red, bought as a confidence builder following a collision with a deer on my previous bike. I sold it to move house and then bought my current 600N 3 years ago. Two Scottish winters have not been kind to it!

Its been off the road since the middle of last year due to work, family and a new hobby (MTBing) taking over. To be honest I'd kind of lost the buzz that biking had always given me. A mate (who has just passed his Part 1 test) has managed to give me the buzz back with his enthusiasm for biking, so last weekend I dragged the bike out of the corner of the garage (took an hour to free the brakes and wheels up), charged the battery, and she started without too much hesitation :)

So I've spent the last couple of hours crawling around it and have a list of jobs to do:

Brakes - new hoses, pads, seals, caliper paint - a full system overhaul
Wheels - paint, clean up discs, new tyres (front is gubbed and I have a new 4 inch rear with no tyre on it)
Chain - you'll see why in a minute!
Swing arm removal - to address corrosion issues and check / grease bearings / pivot points
Shock removal - as above
Oil pipes - wow, these are seriously manky!
Painting - touching up other bits to prevent corrosion getting any worse
Cleaning/degreasing - all the other bits that aren't mentioned above
Full service - I did the valve clearances less than 1k miles ago so dont plan on doing that this time round

Things I've already done since I bought it: new fork seals and 15wt oil; valve clearances and service; new chain and sprockets (-1 tooth on the front); heated grips (toasty); petcock overhaul; starter motor rebuild.

The good bit is that the engine runs, all the electrics/switches etc work, and I replaced the entire exhaust system 18 months ago so no issues there either.

If you've read all of this, wow you're patient!!! So heres some pictures of the bike in its current state!

Horrible oil pipes - anyone know where to get (or what to use as) replacements? The usual suspects dont have them!
shitty oil pipes.jpg
Dont think its worth trying to clean this!
manky chain.jpg
Front brake reservoir needs painting:
wtf no paint left.jpg
Same with the calipers (they're all similar!)
corroded caliper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Slartibartfast on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

This topic has 118 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login