Jims XJ600N thread

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:21 pm

I'd decided that everything that doesnt look good as it is will need to be painted black. What I would eventually like to do is have everything gloss black except the tank and plastics which will be matt black, with gloss black tank and plastics stickers.

I am not keen on painting the exhaust though, and its quite new (1500 miles or so), so I got to thinking about polishing certain bits.

Here is my right side footrest hangar:
bike dirty footrest hanger.jpg
Using a disposable cloth-towel thing, and autosol's brilliant chrome polish (like this one, not that I bought it on eBay) I set about it.

Here you can see the top triangle bit. This was after about ten minutes, I was surprised at how quickly I managed to get a result. Its not perfect yet and (given how bad it was) would benefit from being removed and cleaned properly.
bike shiny footrest hangar.jpg
I have done the rest of it but forgot to take a photo and now its dark; what this does mean though is that there will be a few bits (downpipes, footrest hangars, levers, headlight/clocks) that will be getting polished rather than painted :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm

I've polished the footpeg hangers on mine Jim ( did it when I first got the bike ).... It's a lot of upkeep to keep them looking good though, you really need to keep on top of it :)

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Your bike looks seriously clean!

I'll see how it goes, it just seems a waste to paint them if they can hold a shine (especially if I can make them as shiny as yours)
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 am

Not much happening with the bike just now, on the run up to Christmas with a big family! So I’ve been removing and cleaning, and also painting.

Managed to find a couple of hours to get painting the calipers and a couple of other bits. I’m using gloss black hammerite which goes on like an enamel paint. Think I might have put it on a little thick, guess we’ll see how it looks tomorrow. What I do know is that they certainly won’t look any worse than they did before!
075BF500-7D2F-4371-AFDF-F0328BD93F5D.jpeg
D3172426-D72F-4673-9F12-7ABC98B410AF.jpeg
737EBA2E-C81C-475A-9439-A3CDAEB84969.jpeg
I also removed the right hand footrest hanger and rear master cylinder, to make it easier to clean and polish. Sadly one of the cylinder bolts has rounded off, not a huge issue but would have like it off for cleaning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trialster
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 xj600 s
Wales

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Interested to see how the brake reservoir lid looks like back on the bike. Mine is manly as hell and really let's the bike down.

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 am

I've repainted the reservoir as well but forgot to take a photo, I'll try and remember to get one at some point!

Just using gloss black hammerite at the moment - not sure if its due to the cold but its gloopy as hell to work with, I should probably be doing this indoors rather than in the garage. It goes on like enamel paint, so it took a little while to work in between the letters without filling it!

I've got a couple of mates that paint little models (warcrafty type stuff) - its a bit geeky for me but they're seriously good at fine detail stuff, I might get one of them to paint the raised letters on the reservoir lid to highlight them for me

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Great Britain

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 am

Its been ages since I posted anything on this, as between getting ready for Christmas and sorting out a family members funeral I haven't had either the time or the money.

However my lovely missus has been sneakily ordering bits for me, and the following items have turned up over the last couple of days:

3 x caliper overhaul kits
3 x brake pad sets
A full set of braided hoses
A new chain

So all I need to do now is get the wheels and swingarm powdercoated, reassemble (and deep clean bits as I go) and get a pair of tyres fitted :-)

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:13 am

That is a lovely missus and for them to come up as the right parts is even more lovely.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.