'97 XJ600 S Rebirth

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: France
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 Diversion S (97)
France

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:55 pm

My project is to ride again my first bike. For some reasons it didn't run for almost 5 years.
Was going to sell it, but i forgot about it when i pulled out the blanket that was covering it.

Lot of good memories, and i want to learn a bit of mechanics so i have to put it on the road again.

My project : '97 XJ600 S Rebirth

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 pm

First i've done some simple tasks :
- New battery
- New spark plugs
- Gas tank cleaning (some rust and about 5 liters of old fuel)
- Carbs draining

After that, put the fuel valve on pri position for 30 seconds, then on, turned the key, pulled out the choke and keep fingers crossed while hitting the starter

:thumbsup:

But the sound is a bit weird, and when touching the choke or the throttle the engine stops

:thumbdown:

Friday tried to start again, but now there's no start. The battery seems dead :ponder:

Is the "tac tac tac" a known signal for you for any part failure? The starter?

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Today update :)

I recharged the battery and it started :thumbsup:

The idle is really low 1k and can't go higher, after 5 minutes the engine stopped.
With my little knowledge i'd say it a air/gas balance problem, but i know quite nothing :huh:
I'm a bit out of solutions and there is still this weird sound when the engine stops :ponder:

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Sometimes if mine wont start, it gives a short series of rapid clicks as I let go of the starter button. Not sure from the sound files if this is what you have or not? The fact that the engine turns over would suggest that the starter motor is functioning.

There is loads of useful advice on the wall; I would probably start by looking at fuelling. Make sure the fuel filter isnt blocked up, and make sure that the petcock is functioning correctly (I suspect this will be ok if putting it to prime allows fuel through to the carbs). Then onto the carbs - I've never torn these apart, but Radare (I think) has done a very comprehensive walkthrough. Between this and the Haynes you'll be fine! Once this is done balance them.

The rubber carb boots can perish and crack too, that might affect your air/petrol mix.

If you're heading half way down to the valves I would also check all of your valve clearances - this is fairly straightforward but can cause issues as well.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted, use the wall and the search button on here as there is a huge amount of information on this site! Good luck!
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks, i'm using the search engine to find some clues but it's a bit hard.
I'll check the fuelling system tomorrow, maybe a pump problem or not, but it's always good to check and learn.
A bit afraid to touch the carbs, i'll see that later :)

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 pm

I've never touched mine either but I know at some point I will have to! As long as you take your time and be methodical about it then you'll be fine.

You could always look for a cheap used set on ebay to fiddle about with?
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

alexxj600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600N 1999
Germany

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:52 am

Mine did that at one point last year, turned out to be my stator, replaced it and it's been running perfectly since!

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:38 am

Good news guys :)
It's running well now, thanks Slartibartfast :thumbsup:

I found 2 problems :
  1. the petcock was kinda stuck, just pumped the pipe going from the petcock to the intake with 3 fingers while the engine was running and saw the fuel filter getting filled :clap:

here is the pipe, i'm going to replace it as it looks on a poor condition :
    Image Image
  2. the idle screw was too much unscrewed, certainly someone played with it.
Now the engine is running fine, 1200rpm whithout choke and start at first try. That made my day :) and now i can say how a petcock works.

@alex you must be rignt for the stator, as i had problems in the past with the battery going empty even when using it. So i put that on my todo list : check the stator

Next step now is to check the clutch.

alexxj600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600N 1999
Germany

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:46 am

Hi Div,

Yes, it can't hurt, one time my battery actually ran flat while I was doing 50 down a country lane. Just completely cut out on me and had to get jump started by a colleague... twice!

div
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
France

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:21 pm

New little test, the rear caliper was stuck. Had to take it out to rebuild, waiting for some parts to continue (pistons seals and red grease).
Going slowly, tomorrow i'll change the brake fluid for front caliper and the oil filter and oil.
Everyday i'm getting closer :D

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: