93 Seca II, My salvation

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Alright, so calling my bike "my salvation" might be a stretch... But after 4 long years without being on 2 wheels, battling depression and remembering how happy a motorcycle made you....it starts to feel that way. But enough about me.

I wasnt really looking to buy a new motorcycle at the time...let alone one that needed work...but I stumbled across this 1993 Yamaha Seca II 600 on FB for $400, listed as a project bike. Oh alright...twist my arm why dont you... But it was deffintly a project bike..
Still, I bought it after looking at it and a little research. Looked better after getting it out of this dude's garden...
So onto repairs and such:
I knew it would need the fuel system overhauled, it had been sitting in the weather for 2 years before I bought it...with out a cover, and with (what had been) gas in the tank and lines. So new fuel pump, lines, and rebuild lots for acquired. It turned out the tank was so nasty and rusty that I would have to reline it or buy a new tank...so I tried relining with Kreme...no dice; the rust had eaten though in spots creating pinhole leaks like a kitchen strainer. A new tank was bought, the old one saved for maybe a repair attempt down the road?...never hurts to have spare parts...
The front fairing was cracked and broke when I took it off, but I'm poor/cheap, so I gave plastic welding with a soldering iron a try... It worked amazingly well and to save myself from spending $80+ a side of a fairing (going off eBay prices), I'm MORE than happy about it
Now to paint. It needed at very least some work to make the paint look better...but I wasnt a fan of the color to begin with. So black we go...black with red; my favorite color combo.
I know...I only bagged the engine and front wheel...the frame painting is just a temp job for now anyway. This pic was just fitting the pieces to see and to lay out the red.
Did I mention im doing all of this out of a tiny shed that is filled to the bring with parts from 3 other bikes and some old Volvos? AND my tools?
Anywho...
Color on and happy with the flow... Plus I had put on some after market control lever. I needed new ones anyway, so why not upgrade as I replace? And hey...arent those the stock mirrors from my Maxim??
Clear coat and a new cover for the seat. Why pay for a new seat or for someone to cover it for you when you can just shoot up to your local fabric store, grab some marine grade vinyl (with a coupon 'cause that shit ain't cheap), grab your staple gun, and do it yourself? $10 vs whatever it would have been...a lot I'm guessing
The wheels were in dire need of new rubber, and some paint lovin'
And I even through on some LED glow style...why not while I'm waiting on parts. The LEDs are on a switch on a small panel I built and mounted to the triple tree as well as a cigarette lighter. The cigarette lighter, LEDs, and a 12v port I mounted in the "glove box" are all hooked up to an accessory circuit I hooked up and ran using the spare port in the fuse box.

Now I'm stuck waiting for a new chain and new carb boots before I can get to riding... Waiting waiting... Worst part is that as I'm waiting, ideas for possible mods are floating around in my head...
Renegade
My YouTube, My Twitter
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

This topic has 48 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login