93 Seca II, My salvation

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks XJL. And yeah that does sound annoying as hell; I dont think I would be able to deal with that. I know I'm digging the new mirrors, so why not go for it. Just be sure to get an assistant to help you the test positioning them before you still into your fairing.

And I have to say that, besides certain few moments, I have been feeling great and stronger than I have in a long time lately. I hope that doesnt pass once I'm done this build...

So let me start off today's update by sayung that I HATE waiting on parts to arrive. It leaves you sitting around, unable to do the work you really want to get done...stuff you would consider important. So while I wait for my jets to come in...from Texas...., my steering damper (currently in CT), and my chain adjuster plates (in customs maybe?), its time to just work on paint.

I really liked the red on the rear sets, better than the aluminum color they came to me as, but they didnt look quite right...it was just too big of a visual block of red. Amd while looking at the bike, I noticed that my levers looked out of place being an anodized red while everything else was a "Crayola" red. So, a little looking around and thinking and...
Faux Anodized Red. Or Candy Red if you prefer. Either way it just just a couple shades redder than the levers, but I dount think it's that noticable. Even for me with an artist's eye.
Sadly one of the bolts for the master cylinder mounting is stripped, the bolt for the reservoir is stripped, and I didnt feel like rebleeding brakes...so I got creative with my masking for the right side.
Now I can live with that! In fact I liked it so much that I did my bar-ends too. The silver was too bright and eye-catching anyway.

"Now Renegade, when are you going to get to that ugly, beat up motor that you yourself keep complaining about?" Now, my friends; now. Its been too long, its driven me mad enough, and the nicer I make the bike look around it, the more of an eye-sore it becomes.

Now since I am this far a long, I don't really want to pull the motor out...so it's gonna take some creative masking and such, but already I have the bottom portion of the case painted
Oh, and I hit the exhaust with some high temp black...spruce it up a bit. I would love to get new headers...maybe a stainless finish to go better with the muffler...but that's a ways off... My bank account and I aren't friends currently.

Doing things they way I am, masking and blocking, I had to stop fpr the night part way (plus it was getting dark), but tomorrow is another day, so back into the garage she goes. Plus it gives me time to think a little on the rest of the motor....

But we have a Biker Weekend coming up near me (this weekend), so i WILL be finishing and doing some touch-ups before then. Gotta look your best while you're sitting with a bunch of other motorcycles that people are no doubt admiring...
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Wow....it has been a busy week. Very important dentist appointment on Wednesday, then Biker Weekend in Wildwood, NJ (big let down to be honest), then work which always kills doing other things... But I did get some work done on the bike. Besides spending quality time with her of course.

First off I did finish painting the motor: I did decide to go mostly silver, instead of paintign the combustion chambers. Look wise, going with any other color was too much of a visual break, though i did give it a lot of thought. Of course some details had to be painted on.
Looks pretty good I say

I mentioned before that I had felt a bit more head wobble than I felt comfortable with; so i took care of that with a steering damper
Not the conventional way of installing one, I know. But it works great and i didnt have to make any mounting brackets. Good thing since my welder is broken...maybe when I get a new one I will make some brackets for at least a better look. But for the time being, this works wonders.

However, right after installing the steering damper, I was going to take the test ride and dial it in...but i came to realize that the old and leaking fork oil had given all that it had to give. All it had to give as in what would have been a test ride was sketchy as shit because i was riding on fully compressed forks... Just how bad was the situation? Well...
That was was in the left fork. ALL that was in the leg. So I took car of that issue; tore apart the forks, cleaned them, put it all back together with new oil, new seals, and new dust caps.

That brings us to today: when some of the last parts I have been waiting on finally arrived. (Seriously...I have been waiting on my chain adjuster plates for over 3 weeks)
Lots of fun laid out. Lets start with the chain adjusters:

Why did I need to get chain adjuster plates? Well when I first took off the tire, the one split in 2 and fell. I don't know how long it had been broken, but I have been carefully riding with it like that all this time. In theory, they sit in the swingarm and the tension holds them in...but still....little too sketchy in my mind to go for too long with.

So i got myself a set of plates, with spools, for a 2013-2016 R3. Damn close fit, and hey spools will make working on the bike so much easier once I get a stand. No more cinder-block and wood for me (Don't judge, it worked). Of course minor alteration had to be made with the grinder:
And now they are snug as a bug and I feel better
There is a small gap on the top and bottom from the swingarm being slightly taller, and if you're going to have it on a stand I would be careful if you're taking the tire off.

Since I knew it was going to need a couple more coats of clearcoat, I put the decals on the belly pan so I could spray it and have it dry while I messed with the carbs.
How much work/how many mods have to be done before I can call her an XJ600R? hahaha I kid, I kid.
I will have better pictures of the bike soon, I promise

I ended up not getting to the adjuster caps today, wanna bone up on the adjustment first, plus running out of daylight and whatnot...But tomorrow is another day

Now onto the main event for the day: New Pilot Jets!
Holy hell I hated how long it took to warm up the bike! 70-80+ degrees Fahrenheit and Im spending forever with the choke on? And just when it starts to bog like she is good and ready...nope PULL THAT CHOKE BACK OUT! No, no, this was NOT working for me! An upgrade HAD to be done.

Now our fearless leader, Radare, started a great thread about the "Lore" of the #20 Pilot Jet: "Gather around my dear friends, I would like to tell you about a cure for what ails you, be it sniffles, scurvy, stomach ailments, eye sight, nervousness, gout, pneumonia, hard starting, lean mixtures, crankiness, tiredness or plum just sick of life... Yes, sir, a bottle of my magic elixir will fix whatever ails you; the #20 pilot jet" His words, not mine. Its a great thread about chosing the best jets for you and your elevation, I highly suggest checking it out if you haven't: CLICKY

Well using that knowledge given to me by that thread, I went with the #20 pilot jet. Seems like a great choice since I live at sea level. Ok, about 20 feet above if you want to get technical and precise... Well ladies and yetlemen, i can tell you that this did wonders! Not only was the bike warmed up within a few minutes, but it changed the whole dynamic. Getting the bike to warm up was the main desire, but along the way I also got WAY better throttle response, better power delivery through out the range, and it evened out my looping idle. I do of course have to fine-tune tomorrow, but this is just plug and play type of things we are talking about right now. These pilot jets seemed to smooth everything out in a fantastic way. Well smoothed everything out except that attitude this bike has that seems to say "You wanna go? Let's F***ing GO M*****F*****!" (i dont know the rule on cursing here...lol)

At this point some of you might thing Im being crazy, or maybe Im just ignorant since my last bike, what I was/still am kind of used to, was an '82 400 cafe racer and this 600 is much stronger than that, but my lord this bike gets up and going. I have to get a hand one of these days doing a timed 0-60 run, cause that seems to come up REAL fast, even when Im not pushing the bike... Either way, she is certainly living up to her name: Mercy
Renegade

TwoWheelGeorge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: New York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca2
United States of America

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Nice Job so far. I know time and cost are a big consideration when doing a build.
looks really good. Great job with the mechanical work as well.
I love that belly pan you and radare have on your bikes. Is that stock, or an aftermarket item?
I have a 1993 seca2, can i put that on mine?

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am

Thank you.

From what I can tell, and if im wrong someone can correct me, they are a stock part that were on certain years, but will fit on yours. We have the same year bike after all. They seem to be hard to come by, even harder to find in really good condition, and you will need the mounting hardware, which seems to be even harder to find... at least on the cheap. There is currently a mounting kit on ebay for $150 if you're interested...That's why I just made my own mounts: I'm cheap.

You can find aftermarket/universal ones that should work, but the one I have is the OEM
Renegade

TwoWheelGeorge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: New York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca2
United States of America

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks Renagade.
Since I posted I saw a couple on ebay, but they want like $400 with shipping, I don't mind doing ody work on them, but even broken ones were the same price.
I'm thinking of 3d printing one and overlay it with fiberglass

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:16 am

You might want to check out http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/xj_6 ... ion/93-94/. They have some belly pans listed for £99 (134~ USD), though I can't speak on the quality...I only just found the site and have yet to order anything.

"And now for something we hope you'll really like."

Well folks, I think my gremlin bell is defective; the gremlins got to my bike. After a ride, I came home, pulled my bike into the garage and noticed that my one frame slider was one good shake away from falling off. The nut had come loose, fell off, and now the bolt was sitting with 1 thread still in the hole. Oh, and the other side? Gone...completely gone.

I still had the original bolts (what's rule number 1 of mechanical work) for the motor mount, so I put them back in while I waited for new sliders to get in. The last set I bought were cheap, had to be modified, and came from China so the took a long time to get here. This time I didn't want to wait, so I spent the extra money to buy something that would come in faster. And boy am I glad I did.
OES Accessories Frame Sliders for the Seca II. I know right? I used a "mod" part meant for this bike?! Weird... Honestly everything about these feel better; I think they are a higher grade bolt, come with a heavy duty nylock nut, and are a single piece already shaped for the motor. Plus the material....yeah...holding both the first set I bought and the OES, you can tell the quality difference. The China set are like holding a cheap plastic furniture leg from a cheap piece you bought at a cheap store like Big Lots.

Take it from me folks, dont buy the cheap stuff on this; spend the extra and buy the ones meant for this bike.

And yes folks, I made sure these are torqued down well. To be honest that was probably more the case the gremlins..just your buddy Renegade being a moron and forgetting about torque settings. Maybe...I dont actually remember that part of the install...lot of stuff happening lately..

Speaking of goofs and flubs, the fork seals I just put on? Apparently the one didnt seat properly and I thought it had.. Little riding and is started to come loose..a.nd I leaked oil. So I had to tear the front end apart and do it again. Love that game... But it gave me the chance to put my new pre-load adjuster caps in.
I also eliminated the little panel that I made...and broke...and put the accent LED switch on the front fairing. Hate to see the lighter go...but maybe one day I will put it back. I'm still not quite at the point where I am comfortable enough to wear anything but a full face for long anyway.

The adjuster caps are actually a littlw longer than the stock ones...about 13mm I think? So but putting them in a have myself that extra bit of adjustment and BAM, preload taken care of, didnt even need to adjust. One day down the road I might which out the stock preload spacer so I do have the room to adjust...but that's down the road.

I did finally, after saying I need to for so long, but a set of tank grips for the bike. I don't know if its my riding style or if it's because I dropped the front end down a bit and changed the geometry of the bike...but I am constantly sliding on the tank. If the corner is too sharp or too fast, my knee might as well be on ice. These certainly fixed that issue.

They are for a CBR600, but they were cheap, look good, and I only has to cut a small corner off to fit where the seat is.

Some of the things ive been doing are small things, seemingly trivial things, but they say "The Devil's in the details..." One thing that seems maybe trivial are the grips...but ibhad to get new ones. The Super Bike grips that were on there were horrible. I mean if you rode for like 20 minutes; no issue, but get out on the bike for 1/2 or so and the vibration you felt through your arm started to kill. And if you are replacing, why not consider looks too and get something you think looks nice..
D3 knock-offs. Look just as good, feel fantastic, and 1/10 the price. MUCH better.

I did also get a full set of footpegs, complete with hardware, only to realize the "driver" pegs' mounting ears are too short for this bike and they want to sit about 20 degrees lower of an angle than they should be... Thoughts are being given as to how best to rectify this issue. And when I do, info and pics will be up. But I did get the passenger pegs on nicely, which was one of the main reason for this. I didnt really have any hareward when I got the bike so there was noting keeping the passenger pegs up and down. And the rattled...no more though.

I also have a rear shock from a 97 FZR600 on the way, sjould be here Monday, so you all know my plans are then. I really am almost completely done...wow. And even better: I'm riding.

I'm actually really trying to make sure everything is good before the 6th or October because weather permitting, I will be taking my bike to D.C. for a week. That's a 200 mile drive, 3.5-4 hours (being responcible...ish) amd I can't wait.

Especially after a day of riding like I did today amd more days to come
Renegade

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 am

You've got quite a vision and your going the extra mile to get it there. I like the gumption. That oil from your forks made me say 'eck' out loud as I read past. And in your last photo, man, with the rag and the cigarette, you gotta raise your right eyebrow to complete that shot.

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks man, that means a lot. I figure if you're gonna do it, do it right. Plus I have to admit, being on this site, showing the process and getting feedback like this really has me wanting to really make sure I'm not mucking around with it.

I will remember the eyebrow for the next time I take a pic like this. Hahaha

Well I finally took the hour long trip (one way) to go to Harbor Freight to get the stand I wanted. Living where I do is rough sometimes but I suppose it could be worse. Kinda glad though because it have me a chance to give the car a good running. And now I'm really glad that I got the chain adjuster plates with the spools like I did...makes life so much easier. If you dont have spools on your bike, I highly suggest getting them.

Of course I got the stand a day after I swapped my shock... Allow me to share some VERY valuable wisdom with you: when removing your shock, be VERY VERY careful how you keep your bike up. If not....well....
I will be the first to admit, that was my stupidity. But have no fear, no damage was done and I was able to bribe my sister into helping me out of this now extra difficult situation. Coffee, in our family, goes a long way.

As seems to be the popular choice, I went with an FRZ600 shock. Better quality shock for a better ride? Sounded good to me.

Now the important thing to know is that the shock that came on the bike when I bought it was...well...bad. I have been riding with it set to the hardest setting, and there was a fair amount of sag when my skinny ass got on. I tell you all this because I'm not sure how the stock XJ shock should act or sit.

But I have to say, this FZR shock seems to make the bike sit really high...
Am I wrong? Shock on the softest setting in case you were wondering.

Now in my last post I mentioned that I put the adjuster fock caps on but due to the extra length, didnt have to adjust them. Well with the new shock, thw weight jas been shifted more to the front and yep...now it needed adjusting. 3 turns took care of it.

I took it for a test ride, and I felt like I was a like up in the air and the change in weight placement made sharp turns feel like I was going to fall if I went too far over. Not quite sketchy...but a little....worrying... I'm the type of person who will give changes a chance before thinking it was a bad idea. Maybe its just a matter of getting used to it?

I'm glad to say that is the case. I went riding for a bit and am starting to get used to the new suspension and geometry of the bike ans can give a ride report.

Oh yes! Oh yes oh yes. That is way better. I still have the shock set to the softest setting and its a lot string than the old shock was and really makes the ride a ton more comfortable. I am glad that in room the advoce from the site and went with it over the XJ shock. I do question the ride height now...but ride-wise, its so much better.

I still really want to get the foot pegs I got for the bike on (driver set) and I do still think I can get the bar set up that I want...so there are still a few projects left that I could do, but wow she has come a long way from where I started; seeing her sitting in some dude's garden, not having been run in 2 years, and with a $400 price tag. When all is said and done, thing I will tally up how much went into the bike...could be cool to see.
Renegade

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:07 am

Bike is looking really good! Looks quite aggressive with the new shock fitted :-) I take it the sketchy feeling is because it tips into corners quicker? I had a CBR shock on my last XJ, and it raised the bike height enough that I had to be careful where I parked it using the stock side stand!
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:24 am

Wow man. I dont worry about that...if anything it seems to seat the kickstand better. Before it felt too upright when I put it on the kickstand.

The sketchy feeling is basically because with the weight (mine included) being higher up, it feels too top heavy; like we could both go too far in a corner and meet the road. I know its because of the difference; what it was to what it is now. I was getting used to it though while I was out yesturday, so its just a matter of time
Renegade

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay