1984 FJ/YX600

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Create a project page and tell us about the things you're doing to your XJ.
kiwi5000
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: TN
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1984 Yamaha Fj600

1984 FJ/YX600

Post by kiwi5000 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:28 am

So I purchased this project bike for the sake of learning how to work on a bike and not feel like if i screw it up then it's not a big deal. This is my 1984 FJ600 with a 1986 YX600 motor or frankenbike as I like to call it. I've sorted out some of the wiring (some of it's still finicky though) and was able to get it to kick over but now I'm at a stand still. New plugs. Changed the oil and filter. I sprayed the carbs with cleaner but not entirely sure it's 100% so I might just buy all new jets and take it apart and soak it. Before I go further though I'd like to share my troubles with anyone who could help.

1.) After testing the spark, there was a residual power surge. Yeah I got a little shock. I did it again (without holding it) and saw a residual spark. Like it's hold the current temporary then letting it go. Is that normal?
2.) An odd thing happened when i was turning it over after I let go of the switch it kept turning! I pushed the kill switch and shut the ignition off but it was still turning over! Is that normal? Ok, I know it's not normal but what's the deal with that? It was scary.
3.) It backfires out the muffler when I turn it over. Occasionally. Someone told me it was timing and I've ordered an ignition box just to test that. I'm leaning towards the carbs.
4.) When I turn it over one of the carbs looks like it's shooting out the gas. Like a mist. What could cause that?

That's all for now. I'm just trying to get it running and it's fighting me somethin fierce. Thank you for your time. I'll be updating this when I can.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Re: 1984 FJ/YX600

Post by Crimson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:51 am

2.) An odd thing happened when i was turning it over after I let go of the switch it kept turning! I pushed the kill switch and shut the ignition off but it was still turning over! Is that normal? Ok, I know it's not normal but what's the deal with that? It was scary.
Just wanted to say, don't use the bike until you've sorted the problem out as you risk destroying your starter motor and possibly your starter gears. You should check the wiring to the ignition switch, and the switch itself (it might not be returning properly). The problem is almost certain to be electrical.
I'm sure you'll sort out all the other problems soon, but watch out with that one. Turning the starter motor should be a momentary thing.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/