93 xj600 overhaul

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Orlando, FL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 SECA II

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 am

timwill730 wrote:A little update that I did last night. I ended up putting a jet kit and pods on the carburetor
Here is the best explanation as to why the factory airbox is better than individual pods.

Taken from the old forum here.
sportieboy wrote: Quote:
Because only one cylinder is pulling air at any one time, those dimensions would be pricisely adequate.

Bingo!

I don’t have the Seca’s camshaft specs on me, but let’s assume the intake valves open for 35 degrees. That’s probably close… The engine is a four stroke, therefore it cycles once every 720 degrees. With four cylinders, total intake for one complete cycle is only occurring for a total of 140 degrees out of the 720 degrees. In other words, the carbs are only flowing air roughly 20% of the time the engine is running. Plus, the firing order is spaced evenly around that 720 degree cycle – no overlap. So, there’s not only never a point where more than one carb is flowing, in fact there’s approximately 145 degrees of rotation between the time when one intake valve closes and it’s carb stops flowing before the next intake valve opens and it’s carb starts.

Therefore, as long as the intake to the airbox is at least as large as one carb, there is no restriction. The airbox horn can flow 100% of the time. In fact, I don’t remember the exact dimensions, but the Seca’s intake horn is a few mm larger than one carb – therefore it can flow more than one carb can ingest at any time. Plus, you’ll notice it’s not just a hole into the box – it’s a velocity stack…

Quote:
I believe the total size of the air box is more important than the opening.

Jason is correct, the volume of the airbox is critical. (Read about any new sportbike and they’ll typically mention how much larger they’ve managed to make the airbox…) Velocities are high going through the carbs and when the intake valves close, it sends a reverberation wave back up through the carb. The larger the volume of airbox, the better it can cancel that wave, allowing the next reversal of air flow back into the carb (when the valve opens again 685 degrees later) to happen more quickly and smoothly.

Pod filters don’t have that advantage. In fact, air movement on their outside is turbulent, depending on the aerodynamics of the air flowing around the engine, the riders legs, etc. (Quite often it's a partial vacuum.) The air supply might be good, it might not – it’s impossible to control and it will vary depending on how fast the bike is moving. Airboxes eliminate all those variables, supplying the engine with a consistent source of air and making it easier to tune the engine for consistent operation at any speed.
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:28 am

Amen.
Good find Draco. That needs to be posted some place as to be permanently available for viewing as this matter comes up time and again.
Better to be over the hill than under it.

draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 am

1Oldman wrote:That needs to be posted some place as to be permanently available for viewing as this matter comes up time and again.
Agreed! It is a good explanation with some technical backup as to why. In fact that whole old thread lays everything out rather well.
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

cafe_bill
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Southern California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ, 96 Buell, 07 FJR1300, 02, 95, 97 Sportsters

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 am

Here is the best explanation as to why the factory airbox is better than individual pods.
LMAO! I wrote that....

I actually dug it up myself off the old forum the other day and was in the process of cleaning it up and combining it with some other bits I posted over there to repost on this forum.
Bill
'07 FJR 1300
'02 Sportster
'97 Sportster
'96 Buell S2
'89/'95 Sportster
'92 Seca II

draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:12 am

cafe_bill wrote:I wrote that....
I should have realized since you carried over the same user icon. Different screen name though ><

But yes, please do, make a post or start a new thread even about this. Maybe we can get it stickied and every time someone new pops up and starts talking about all the mods they want to do we can just reference the post to them.

draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 am

cafe_bill wrote:combining it with some other bits I posted over there to repost on this forum.
The link that was also posted just after that was a good read too!

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Airboxes.html

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:52 pm

cafe_bill wrote:
LMAO! I wrote that....

I actually dug it up myself off the old forum the other day and was in the process of cleaning it up and combining it with some other bits I posted over there to repost on this forum.
One thing you didn't clearly mention in that article was that the velocity stacks to the carbs are part of the airbox set up. So you might add that to tie it all together. Not to be confused with this statement; "Therefore, as long as the intake to the airbox is at least as large as one carb, there is no restriction. The airbox horn can flow 100% of the time. In fact, I don’t remember the exact dimensions, but the Seca’s intake horn is a few mm larger than one carb – therefore it can flow more than one carb can ingest at any time. Plus, you’ll notice it’s not just a hole into the box – it’s a velocity stack…"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_stack
These are the velocity stacks;
http://compare.ebay.com/like/3702019493 ... si=y&cbt=y
Better to be over the hill than under it.

92-600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: oregon,USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 600xj seca 2/ Honda rebel 250 custom

Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:35 am

I see you went wtih the pods air filters. i want to do the same but im not a carb guy. If it would need tuned i would have to find someone and hope they dont mess up my bike. Ive laid it over twince because of bad mechanics. SO how did the pods affect her? Did you try to run piping and get a shadow cone in black? They look sick and im hoping i can run it out about the valve cover and under my body. but i havent stripped it yet to see the space avalible to play. Any advice?

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93