96 Seca 2 - Brat Transformation

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
sbigsby
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

When I purchased my Seca 2 a couple years ago, I was simply thrilled to have a bike and the freedom of the open road that came with it. My dad and I loaded it up in the back of his Dodge and drove it home. Every 2 minutes I did a shoulder check to make sure she was doing okay.
20140702_172619 (2).jpg
After a few little fixes: adjusting the kick stand kill switch, oil and filter change, new battery, a headlight tweak and some much needed general maintenance she was ready to roll.
20140704_185654 (2).jpg
A few rides later it was apparent that tank was leaking. No, it wasn't the petcock assembly, but the actual tank had rusted out around the petcock mounting holes! So off came the tank and a quick jb weld fix and paint to follow just to get through the last couple weeks of the season.
20140703_081723 (2).jpg
The following season (which sadly encompassed 1 entire week of riding due to work away in the oil field) I was dismayed to discover that the fix needed to be re-fixed. Out of desparation for what was to be a brutally short riding season already, I took it to a buddy who cut out the rust and welded in a small plate. This enabled me 1 entire week of riding, it was the best week of that year. Did I forget to mention that this was also the start of my deliberations towards a naked conversion? Why, you ask? Out of necessity due to a smashed up fairing courtesy of my dad. The first time he dropped a bike in his 30 year career. Anyways, it didn't bother me so much with the fairing gone. And from a distance, I really didn't mind.
20140922_100943 (2).jpg

More of the transformation story to come once I can find the pictures in a mess of archives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This topic has 10 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login