New Toys, Same Problems

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
HoarderConfirmation
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: NH
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha xj600

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi Everyone!
First time posting so I guess I'll mix introductions with information. This is my first bike, 1992 xj600 Seca II, and I got it for $400 off of FB marketplace. FB Marketplace really hit the nail on the head with their simplicity of posting. Who wants upload photos from their device to their computer these days anyways right? Regardless, This is a $400 bike all around. Heres what it came with:
-Corroded sprocket and chain
-Classic no start problem with grinding noise - that would be my shredded starter gear
-Rusty gas tank
-One Mirror
-New battery :thumbsup:
-Suspicious master cyl on front disk - suspicious due to its lack of purging pressure - wheel stays locked
-Suspicious paint on the windscreen
-Disentegrated Fork seals
-Weathered controls
Theres some more stuff I'm forgetting. Now I know what you're all thinking and I can explain myself. The intention of this bike was to have something where I can take my time and go through this machine from head to toe to have at least ONE vehicle that I can just get in and go. Go with confidence knowing that I had at least seen everything that could cause a problem, and chosen to ignore it :ponder: Now, this is my first time with bikes, but my previous two projects were:
1) 1995 Audi 90Q powered by a 1988 Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro 5cyl - This was when Audi tried to mix mechanical fuel injection with turbos
2)1992 BMW 325is powered by a 1986 Ford 5.0L - This was just a genuine disappointment, sounded amazing though.

This is the part where I would add pictures of everything, but I'm new here. And everytime I try to upload to Cheverto, it is returning an "internal server error." Regardless, I promise to add more photos later if you all can help me :)
So I just about have the engine removed, and I'm about to order parts to crack it open. I wanted to check first with all of you to make sure that my parts list and procedure is correct.
The List: mostly from viewtopic.php?t=6298

4BP-15512-00-00 starter gear 1
4BP-15517-00-00 starter gear 2
806732150 fel Pro 2009 Subaru Legacy Camshaft Seal
90338-48229 crankshaft Button
93102-35109-00 output shaft seal
93102-25233-00 stator shaft seal
93210-48460-00 stator seal retainer O-ring
93210-09350 oil galley O-ring
93210-13361-00 oil pump O-rings
4BR-15461-00-00 clutch cover gasket
3803-0041 clutch basket tool
4H7-16321-01-00 friction disks

Thats all I can think of right now for parts, and the list is more for documentation than anything. This is mostly off of PartZilla for that matter. I'm open to suggestions on different vendors :)
Lastly, I've never fiddled with transmission internals and certainly not from bikes. What do I need to know about getting the gears and shift forks out? Also, are there any extraordinary tools that I will need to proceed with this?

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the site! :thumbsup: The BMW sounds interesting with the Ford 5.0 in it, but wonder how it performs compared to the engine that came in it? Probably a hi performance 6 cylinder, originally?
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

HoarderConfirmation
New to XJR
New to XJR

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm

It originally came with an M50 6cyl without the Vanos, but in retrospect it was a really fun engine. I'm currently driving an 01' 330i and love the 6cyl. The dual vanos is excellent from 2500-6000 :clap: I'm very excited to experience the power range of the xj600 when its all put back together :thumbsup:

HoarderConfirmation
New to XJR
New to XJR

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:11 pm

I ran into a few difficulties as I attempted to remove the engine from the bike today. The first of which being the nut securing the sprocket on the output shaft. I realize that there is a washer with the tabs that need to be flattened, but even after doing so I couldn't break the damn thing. This guy just DOES NOT want to come off. Regardless, after being defeated there, I pulled out the wiring harness and removed the rear wheel. The mufflers are off and the headers are loose. I could not figure how to remove those headers, its like a brain teaser :ponder: So that the update and here are my questions:
-I see stockton and motion pro chain breakers. I just want to buy the little press with an allen key, Does anyone own one here? will it break?
-The carbs look fine but I think this thing may have been sitting for a while, what can I expect from old carbs?
-Will I need any special tools to replace the starter idler gears that have been mentioned?
and lastly: I have photos that I would love to upload for documentation in case other users or visitors care to do the same process. I have been consistently receiving an internal service error when trying to upload photos regardless of their size. Can anyone weight on this? Thanks!!

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm

The error is caused by images that exceed 8mb, 2080 pixels in width, are a type other than JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP, or that have already been uploaded with the same name. What's your username for the gallery? I'll take a look.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Lastly, I've never fiddled with transmission internals and certainly not from bikes. What do I need to know about getting the gears and shift forks out? Also, are there any extraordinary tools that I will need to proceed with this?
The transmission is pretty straightforward. Two things to be careful of, though. There are half-moon shaped retainers that hold the shafts aligned to the case. Don't lose them. And there are oil caps at the end of each shaft. Don't lose those either. When putting the cases back together, make sure the shift forks align. Once they are correct, the cases will slide together. If they are misaligned, the cases wont fit. Don't try to force them.

HoarderConfirmation
New to XJR
New to XJR

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks to radare I was actually able to resize my images appropriately and get some actual photos on here :clap:

So here's what I paid $400 for:
I have no Idea why he painted the windshield black.

Complete with rusty gas tank :thumbsup:

The source of all my problems. Just kidding, that would be my wallet :ponder:

I'm not a carb guy, I've always done fuel injection, BUT what I hear is that these should not smell like varnish. I have yet to smell them and I am hopeful they smell like 110 leaded, but that's being a bit optimistic.

This is the current state as the next step is to pull that darn 4 banger out of there.

So heres just a few things I'd like to document here:
#1. If my deductions are correct, the front sprocket was actually tightened by Hercules himself. I know this because his dad, Zeus, actually threw a couple bolts of lightning at it to make sure it will never come off. Previous owners man :lolno: Anyways, after using a breaker bar WITH AN EXTENSION, this bad boy didn't even make a sound. And yes, I did flatten the washer before attempting to remove the sprocket nut. So I think this picture sums it up pretty well.
I was pretty happy when I got the nut off to say the least.
Conclusion: Always refer to the torque specs before securing engine components.

#2. The tank on the bike was pretty rusty. The kind of rusty where you look and say "yeah I'm not dealing with that." So I purchased another tank off Ebay for $100 shipped. I open the box, excellent packaging, and after a brief glance into the oxidized interior I sighed and said,"Well, damnit." So now I have two rusty tanks :clap: The solution? That's right, electrolysis.
Components: Lenovo power supply with alligator clips, threaded rod(cleaned) insulated with a hose segment, arm&hammer washing soda
I filled the tank with a saturated solution of sodium carbonate and let it sit for about 48hrs, then rinsed and repeated for another 12hrs or so. Quick, easy, and highly effective. Just don't do it indoors as it does create hydrogen gas.
Conclusion: Ebay sucks. - just kidding, I should know better

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am

That tank is NASTY. Did it come completely clean in the end? A follow-up with phosphoric acid might be just the trick.

When you heated up the sprocket nut, you might have melted the output-shaft seal. Give it a good look while you have the sprocket off (so you don't have to do this again if its damaged).

HoarderConfirmation
New to XJR
New to XJR

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:06 pm

*deleted*

HoarderConfirmation
New to XJR
New to XJR

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:08 pm

radare wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am
That tank is NASTY. Did it come completely clean in the end? A follow-up with phosphoric acid might be just the trick.

When you heated up the sprocket nut, you might have melted the output-shaft seal. Give it a good look while you have the sprocket off (so you don't have to do this again if its damaged).
I had a good look at the output shaft and I'd imagine the seal is destroyed but I didn't see any sludge( or seal for that matter ). I will upload a picture the next time I get a look at it.

Looks like my assumption was correct. There were a few more in the oil pickup but hopefully there aren't any other lying around.

Next up: gearbox removal. Had my clutch basket tool back-ordered but hopefully will be in this weekend.

Can anyone share any tips on how to clean this engine without damaging any components? I feel like a wire brush might be too aggressive for the heat sinks maybe a pressure washer to get rid of the corrosion?

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93