New Toys, Same Problems

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:24 pm

So heres just a few things I'd like to document here:
#1. If my deductions are correct, the front sprocket was actually tightened by Hercules himself. I know this because his dad, Zeus, actually threw a couple bolts of lightning at it to make sure it will never come off

Made me chuckle, found a few of those whilst stripping mine..

HoarderConfirmation
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NH
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha xj600

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:28 pm

So, its been a while, but I felt obligated to update. I just finished a 6 month internship and entered my final year of school so its been a little hard making time for projects. However, I also bought an 86 ninja 250 so I guess you could say I'm cheating on my XJ >:D.

Here's whats been done:
1) New Starter Gears
- Sealed case with permatex
- replaced those half moon bearings(?) that went on my shaft and counter shaft
- I can't remember which seals were replaced but I know one of them was on my output shaft and the other was on my clutch basket.

2) Clutch Basket Pin Fix
I tried to follow a method that was posted on this site that went like this:
1. measure min diameter of pin retaining hole
2. select a spring pin that will fit without compressing the spring pin
3. select a dowel that will fit in the spring pin with a diameter that will expand the spring pin
4. insert spring pin
5. tap in dowel
6. drink beer
7. don't forget Step 6

3) New Friction Plates & EBC Springs
- soaked friction plates in 10W-30(might be 10W-20) before installing
- faced the "Sharp" edge of steel plates outward
- made sure to index clutch before tightening down

I think that's about it. My next challenge will be the fork seals which I am still researching. I have all of the parts, but I already have the forks out of the bike and I'm not sure how that will affect the ease of disassembly. Also, I ordered all the parts necessary to rebuild the carbs and I look forward to doing that. I just want to start putting the bike together first because its taking up a hell of a lot of space.

Anyways, here's some pics:

Shredded Gears

New Gears Installed

All assembled again (Note the ridiculous amount of gasket maker left by the previous owner.)

New Friction Plates

Clutch basket pin repair (Note the incredible resolution for an Iphone 6s)

Current state of affairs

GAU-8
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Houston, Tx
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 97 seca II

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Enjoying the thread, and all the work you are doing. I went over your initial parts list for the XJ. I found one part listed is the wrong combination for your XJ.

It would be the "Subaru Legacy camshaft seal. Not sure how you would mount that. :)

HoarderConfirmation
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:07 pm

GAU-8 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:12 pm
Enjoying the thread, and all the work you are doing. I went over your initial parts list for the XJ. I found one part listed is the wrong combination for your XJ.

It would be the "Subaru Legacy camshaft seal. Not sure how you would mount that. :)
This part number was chosen from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=6298

"What seals and gaskets do I need for reassembly?
The seals, o-rings and gaskets needed for reassembly in addition to the starter gears are as follows:
Crankshaft seal (I recommend without lip):
With lip - 93101-32144-00
Without lip - (Get a camshaft seal for a 2009 Subaru Legacy with the 2.5 engine) "

I honestly cannot remember if even used that seal, but I know I replaced all the seals in the gearbox. Regardless, you should be fine ordering the seal with the lip. I recall someone replying to that thread noting that they prefer the seal with the lip.

I'm sure seeing a subaru part # in my list looks absolutely ridiculous for that matter :ponder:

GAU-8
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Houston, Tx
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 97 seca II

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Ok. Thanks for clarifying :D.

I skimmed through some of the other comments. I wondered if i missed something. My fault, and thanks for the info. I will check it out!

Rdrasher
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Florida, USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: (3) 92 Seca II's, 1993 GTS1000A

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm

HoarderConfirmation wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:28 pm
However, I also bought an 86 ninja 250 so I guess you could say I'm cheating on my XJ >:D.

Current state of affairs
I had one back in the day!

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Good job on buying the bike man, I did the exact same: $400 off eBay. And same thing, the fuel system was a disaster: rusty, varnish tank, varnish all through the petcock, pump, carbs... If I were you I would replace the fuel pump straight off, thoroughly clean the petcock and carbs, replace all the lines (vacuum too).

As for your motor cleaning, I used a powerwasher QUICKLY and under mild pressure on the outside. I've never really thought about doing it to anything under the covers. I use degreaser and toothbrushes, not too abrasive but can scrub and only a dollar at the dollar store.
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

HoarderConfirmation
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Little progress has been made recently, but nevertheless, progress has been made. I've been tied up with the ninja having fuel issues and had to do subframe bushings + reinforcements on the E46. Regardless, I want this thing standing up on two wheels and have the engine in there before the next semester starts(last year woot woot :D ) Here's what happened:

This was the condition of the forks when I bought the bike. I will reiterate this to save you guys the time and trouble - I should not have bought a bike in such poor condition, this was a clear sign of that.
Counter Argument: It was $400 ;)

MOVING ON

Pulled out these bad larry's and let them sit and drain for a little bit.

See if you can spot the issue in this picture

All clean!

I had to order copper washers and fork oil so those will be sitting for a little while. I decided to go with 15W Bel-Ray high performace fork oil. I read a few threads suggesting to go to 20W, but I'm ~200lbs and live in New England which means roads can be pretty bad in some areas.

While I had things apart and the weather was nice, I decided to do a little work on the frame:

I haven't done a ton of research on frame prep and such, but my plan is to get a can or two of two stage black paint mixed up at the local paint shop then I'll throw a few coats of that on there. There's a bit of rust which will need to be cleaned and sanded. Like I said, I don't have this part planned out yet, but that's the next step in this project. I'm not much of paint guy, but I decided that this site has too many awesome project threads and I'm starting to feel left out. So, I'll give it my best attempt........FOR THE FORUM :D

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 am

I like that.
FOR THE FORUM
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:35 am

Yes! Do it! We want to see! Join us who painted their own bikes! One of us! One of is!

Alright, I got carried away, but I really look forward to seeing it.

Also I love the counter argument, "It was $400." Price vs Trouble? Yeah...I still think you made out well
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay