For those of you who have been following this thread: I apologize for the late update. School started and I had about a week of balance before all my professors had a meeting and decided that they should just open the floodgates of work to be done within a week. Sleep is a mere memory.
For those who have not been following this thread: I bought this bike for $400 ^__^ that about sums it up. MOVING ON:
Over the past month and half I have managed to do a cheap rattle can job on the frame, swingarm, and wheels of this bad larry.
I used a deglosser commonly found at the hardware store. From what I understand, the deglosser just needs to be rubbed on the painted surface then cleaned off. So thats what I did and it was not visibly clear if it worked In retrospect, I should have just scrubbed it with a 3M pad.
I figured I would clean off the visible rust spots while I'm at this paint job. Which turned into me wire wheeling about 1/4 of the frame just finding rust. There seemed to be rust beneath most of the welds, not to unsettle any of the other XJ owners out there
I sprayed all of the bare metal spots with etching primer then did a coat of filler primer for the whole frame in an attempt to smooth out the bumpy areas. Did it work? Maybe.
The same was done to the swingarm. After a coat of primer, both parts were wet sanded with 600 grit. I cleaned the sanded surfaces with a glass cleaner and tack cloth as I hear glass cleaner is intended to evaporate water.
I did two somewhat heavy coats of paint and two coats of clear. All parts were wet sanded with 1500 grit inbetween each coat. The paints used for the frame and swingarm can be found in the image below:
I chose the black paint off of a thread on here that recommended it as a similar yamaha color. I believe its BGM0381. The rust-oleum was chosen abstractly, but honestly it came out great. Pretty good match too. I always thought duplicolor was superior to rust-oleum, but the nozzles on the duplicolor cans were really not that great. The rust-oleum cans sprayed better and it felt like the can itself maintained a higher pressure even at the last bit of paint left in there.
Lets move on to the wheels then:
I put off painting the wheels for a loooong time and thats because I knew what a pain masking them was going to be. I was not wrong.
Hered the deal: using index cards to fit between the wheel and the tire worked for the front tire, BUT not for the rear. The rear tire may as well have been made of granite because this tire would not budge. Needless to say, I'll be getting new tires before this bike is considered roadworthy. This resulted in me using half a roll of tape to cover what used to be a functioning tire. Regardless, I think they came out pretty good.
This is my first time incorporating painting into one of my projects. It's easier than I thought, but its not my thing. But I'm glad I did it because I can paint stuff now if I need to. For anyone considering painting their bike: I'd recommend it. But start it in the spring and make sure to allow yourself time and supplies to make mistakes.
So whats next? Next I believe is getting my triple on the bike so I can finally re-assemble my forks. Then I'll have to get the engine somewhat clean so it can be put back in the frame. That will allow me to get back to where I was making sure the engine still works. It shifted alright when I sealed the case back up but who knows.
Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
- XJ Enthusiast
- Posts: 876
- Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:15 pm
- Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
- Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
- Location: Marble Hill, MO. U.S.A.
Your wheels look great!
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.