'99 Divi rebuild 'Ellen'

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Create a project page and tell us about the things you're doing to your XJ.
etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Suffolk, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 Yamaha XJ600 Diversion

'99 Divi rebuild 'Ellen'

Post by etch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:52 am

Ellen is a 1999 XJ600. The aim is to create a mostly stock XJ, but with a fresh paint job and overhaul to withstand winter riding in the UK. Here in Suffolk we get lots of rain, a little snow in the winter and about four weeks of glorious summer. I ride every day to my job in a school 15 miles away and I also enjoy a good camping/exploring trip. Ellen needs to be reliable, tough and handsome.

Okay, so a few months ago I started looking for a bike to eventually replace my commuter 'ped: a 2016 110cc Suzuki Address. I bought this as my first bike last year and have racked up 4000 miles on it. I'm joining biking a little late - about to turn thirty - and this economical little ride is great, but I'm beginning to long for something bigger and more personal to me. Enter the XJ.

These bikes are everywhere, in various states of decay, here in the UK. I looked carefully for one that had been looked after within my budget, finally purchasing this:

PO was a mechanic and as honest as they come. He had receipts for all parts for the work he had done on it - services every 4k etc. The bike has 49k on the clock, averaging 5k a year and has been touring more than commuting. New tyres. Nexxus exhaust. £840 listed, but knocked him down to £775.

So, the project is this: a full tear down and repaint of fairings and frame. The frame, wheels and certain accents will be white. I'll keep the green body, which I like, to save hassle with DVLA, but give it a freshen up.

While I'm at it, everything will get a good scrubbing and I'll replace anything that looks suspect and hopefully learn a lot about caring for my girl.
'If you get stuck, always use your spanner muscle - strongest muscle in your body, that'un. Where's that, eh?' *taps forehead* 'Tis up 'ere, you plonker'

etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Re: '99 Divi rebuild 'Ellen'

Post by etch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:20 am

Let's get this log caught up. Last week I spent some time observing the new bike at idle, examining bodywork and poking various greasy components. As I was fully aware, there is a crack to the seat fairing that has been repaired but not painted and a corresponding ding in the front shoulder. Probably a gentle drop rather than anything too nasty.

After idling for a while, oil collects on the inlet manifold seal - not enough to drip, but enough to leave a smear on your finger. I'll replace the o-rings there when I tear into her. I'm guessing that they are generic metric viton rings from the Hayne's diagram, so I'll measure them rather than ordering the OEM rings at £4 each.

Once back in the garage, I whipped off the centre stand. It is caked in old chain lube and road filth, so a quick scrub in a paraffin bath and some soapy water before some time under a wire wheel gets the most of it off. I figure this is a good place to start painting. I'll be brush/roller painting everything using smooth Hammerite, so I want to get my hand in.

Here it is mostly scrubbed:

Curiously, the spring has been bolstered with a smaller spring inside. Both are sleeved and in good stiff order. They get a degreasing, rub down and a quick spray of GT85.

Looking closely, I can see someone has rebuilt the stand at both the pedal end and the hinge. The additions look bombproof, and seem to have added some height too. Nice one.

'If you get stuck, always use your spanner muscle - strongest muscle in your body, that'un. Where's that, eh?' *taps forehead* 'Tis up 'ere, you plonker'

Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kent, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj600N 1998

Post by Ollyrag » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:54 am

The double spring for the centre stand is standard.
By the way, I call my Divvy "Simply Red"
IMG_20170313_125559830.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.

etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by etch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:27 am

An apt name - and I'm pretty envious of the naked look. The red really suits these bikes. I can't fathom why they made so many in such drab colours. Fully faired, the green on green just makes for a plasticky amorphous mess.

Ollyrag
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Kent, UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj600N 1998

Post by Ollyrag » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:58 am

Think they are simple to change to Naked, depends on what you want, I like the old school type of look.Enjoy yours, all the best.
It's not how old you are, It's how you are old.

kk600cc
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Liverpool UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 Yamaha XJ600S Diversion

Post by kk600cc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:16 am

The center stands are like that as standard mine is the dull green as you say but quite happy with it now got decent duel cans on it plus some extra green on engine parts. Good luck with your refurb keep us posted.

etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by etch » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:28 am

That is a very nice green you have on those covers - makes a big difference just highlighting. I must have been looking at pre-diversion stands, my bad. ;)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Welcome to the site, etch. You've made some good progress already.

etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by etch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:07 am

Thanks, Radare! :)

etch
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Post by etch » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:03 am

I've had a busy few days stripping the bike right back to engine and frame. I've got through 3 litres of degreaser, painted most of the frame once and I've got two coats on the fairings and swingarm:

I'm enjoying the brush painting more than I expected. It's quite nice not to have to fret over it being perfect.

Swing arm bolt needed serious persuasion - that's a two metre scaffold bar.

I didn't take pictures of the grime, I gagged when I first saw the engine sprocket swimming in filth.

Any advice on replacing hoses? I've gathered 4mm silicone is best for vacuum lines and the fuel line is 6mm. I have to replace the oil cooler pipes - can I get away with fuel line here too? Is silicone okay for the PCV as well?