'93 Cafe racer from Norway

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ 600 S Diversion

Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:06 am

Hi, guys.
This project has been going on since September 2015, but I never started a project thread. The project is really close to being "finished" (we all know these types of projects never finish), and I thought, better late than never.

I bought the bike really cheap (by Norwegian standards), and the bike was in a fairly good nick, consindering it had done 80k km.

Here's how it looked when I first bought it.

And here's how it looked during building.
I bought a fiberglass seat from the UK. Had to shorten in a few centimeters, and bend in the rear frame a few millimeters to make it fit. As you can see I shortened the frame. Replaced also the rear shock with a Honda CBR600 shock, which is a bit longer. Looks much nicer when it's a bit raised in the back.

I got the frame welded by a very skilled, professional welder.

And here's how the bike looks like right now (the tank and seat are only placed on the bike on the picture, not fastened).

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:34 am

So a quick list of what I have done, as I remember:
- Powder painted frame, wheels, forks, swingarm and smaller bits and pieces.
- Blasted and painted all visible screws and nuts.
- Overhauled the forks with new bushings, oil and springs from Racetech, with 1.0 kg/mm spring rate (I'm a big guy).
- New wheel bearings.
- New headlight, tail light and indicators.
- New tyres (the old ones were from 2001!!)
- Koso CRB speedometer/tachometer.
- New oil, spark plugs, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter. Adjusted all valve clearances.
- Exhaust headers wrapped in black exhaust wrap. Custom made exhaust between headers and mufflers. Mufflers from a Harley Davidson Sportster.
- New chain and sprockets.
- Lowered rearsets from China.
- New clutch
- Steel braided brake hoses.
- Top triple from a FZR, which I cut the ignition hoop off, and painted.
- Clip-on handlebars.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:40 am

I like the tank color and striping. Are you planning on carrying it through the tail or what are you plans?
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Siper2
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Pennsylvania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600SF

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:15 pm

I also like the paint, nice work!

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Casper wrote:I like the tank color and striping. Are you planning on carrying it through the tail or what are you plans?
No, I will keep the tail black as it is. I feel it would be too much with the white and green on the tail as well as the tank.

MiguelSilva
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Setubal
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 96

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:22 am

Hi, did the CBR600 rear shock worked without any modifications? How much did it put up the rear comparing to stock shock, or how much longuer is the shock? What model is it from CBR600F? 600R?

also can you give me the link to the rear seat fiber glass that you bought?
XJ 600 PROJECT REBORN - Check my Project Here - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7913

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 pm

MiguelSilva wrote:Hi, did the CBR600 rear shock worked without any modifications? How much did it put up the rear comparing to stock shock, or how much longuer is the shock? What model is it from CBR600F? 600R?

also can you give me the link to the rear seat fiber glass that you bought?
There are som slight modifications when using the shock (it was an CBR F3, by the way): The mounting bolts for the XJ shock are 12 mm diameter, while for the CBR they are 10 mm, so you have to space out the holes in the frame. I just bought a pipe with and outside diameter of 12 mm and 1 mm thick walls.
You also have to use quite a lot of washers as spacers, because the F3 shock is narrower than the original at the mounting points.

I didn't compare the shock lengths, but when I installed the F3 shock, my center stand barely touched the ground. It would hold the bike upright, but just barely. It would be unstable. But it was a huge improvement for the looks.

http://caferacerseats.co.uk/products/9-bmw-style-seat
This is the one I bought. Be aware, it will sit on top of the widest part of the frame, unless you modify the frame by bending it inwards. It's just a few millimeters. I bent the frame a bit to make the seat sit over the frame.

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:40 pm

So I spent a full seven hours in the garage today. I'm so close to the end and I get so eager!
A friend stopped by to help me sort the issues with my speedometer. To my luck, out of the 15-20 different cables me and another friend had connected, two had a bad connection and they were both power! That's a crazy coinsidence. But, we got i working!
Other than that I have bled the rear brake and have started the front one. Boy, does it take time. Seems to be endless. Wonder about bying better equipment tomorrow.

The big tasks left now is the final electrics, I.E. connecting rear light and turn signals, plus the battery. And I have to properly assemble the exhaust. I'm dredding that, if I'm honest.

Some pictures from tonight:

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 pm

I love this picture! I started working on the bike as soon as I bought it (september 2015), and after 10 months I forget how it all started. Now I see how big of a change it is.

MiguelSilva
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Setubal
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 96

Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:23 am

Very nice man. I really love the rear.

About the front brake, make sure the small return hole is not covered insire the master cilinder because that will make the bleading task a nightmare.

Here are you going to put the electronics and the batery? are you using a standar batery or the new small ones.

Are you thinking in using a FZR600 rear wheel with a 150 tyre? that would improve the rear picture!
XJ 600 PROJECT REBORN - Check my Project Here - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7913

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto