ADV XJ600N (sort of) :)

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
icatenej
New to XJR
New to XJR

Little background first...

When I thought of my next ride, I wanted something which can be used on all kind of terrains, which can handle two up reasonably good, which will be light enough, which can cruise all day long 120-140 kph on highway, and also be good in town traffic :D :D...

I already have Cagiva Canyon 600 which is good for almost all of my requirements, except it is little underpowered two up, and as a thumper it is not particularly good for sustained driving above 110 kph...

At first, I thought about buying bigger enduro/ADV motorcycle, but when I tried some popular models (Africa Twin RD07, Yamaha Super Tenere 750, BMW R1150 GS...) I realized that I don't want to wrestle 250 kg behemoth (not mentioning pretty high price range for good specimens here in Serbia). Some other models, like KTM 990, were way beyond my price limit...

So, I start to think of buying some simple, cheap and durable Japanese naked bike and transform it according to my needs. Long story short - I bought XJ600N couple of months ago with intention to make something like this (I've played a little with Photoshop :)):

This is a picture of my XJ when I bought it:

It was in decent condition overall. Paint was fine, engine was fine, seat cover had some small bruises and there were minor electrical issues with rear blinkers and dashboard lights... - nothing functionally important. The biggest issue was right side exhaust muffler. It was heavily rusted.

So, first thing to do - regular maintenance. I changed oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs, cleaned carburetors, cleaned gas tank, fixed electrical issues...

Next - I put wider handlebar with ROX handlebar risers, bigger windshield, heated grips and standard 12V socket.

After that I made new seat cover:

Also, I bought these babies:

And dual-sport tires:

Little about tires... Finding rear tire was not a problem. All major manufacturers have something in dual-sport category in 18" which can be fitted on XJ without major issues. But 17" dual sport front tire was much harder to find. There is Continental TKC 80 in 120/70-17, and as far as I know, there is no any other "proper" dual sport tire which is made as dedicated 17" FRONT tire... Well, there is Shinko 705, And Avon Trailrider in 120/70-17, but I don't consider these profiles suitable for 50/50 riding. I would buy TKC80, but it is known as fast wear tire, and I wanted something more durable... Other option was to look for 4.6x17 rear tire and use it on front turning thread in opposite direction. Finally I opted for Heidenau K60 - 130/80-17 rear and 4.6x17 front.

After installing tires, it was apparent that stock front fender will have clearance issues... Anyway, I took a short spin around my home.

After couple of kilometers I took down front fender only to confirm major clearance issues (inside of fender as well as on stock fender holder there were numerous scrubbing marks).

I took some measurements and found that it will be sufficient to rise fender about 2cm. So I welded 22mm extenders and it was fine:

This is current state of project:

And off-road test near Belgrade:

[video][/video]

There is still some things to do:
- bash plate
- roll bar
- holder for side bags (or cases)

This topic has 14 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login