Newbie with his latest project bike!

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: IL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to take this time to introduce myself and write about my current project. I am a newbie to this site, but far from a newbie to these bikes. This is my 5th Yamaha Seca II that I have owned over the 35 odd years of riding. My latest bike project is a 1994 model in the less common medium to light blue color (I affectionately call it “Smurf blue”). I found it about a little more than 2 months ago. When I went to see it, the seller said “it was a great running bike that he rode all summer, but developed a starting issue recently so it probably just needs a little tune up”. Yeah right (I thought to myself). It was obvious that this bike had not been run a minimum of 4 years. Why must sellers insist on lying so badly? The bike only had about 9K miles and overall physically looked OK and all the parts were there. Yes, it had fallen on the left side lightly breaking the end off of the clutch lever as well as the rear turn signal and scratched (but not cracked) the front faring and bar end. I hooked jumper cables to it (battery was completely dead, surprise!) and could see the entire electrical was in working order (all the lights worked, engine cranked easily and there was spark at each plug) so that was good. I opened the gas tank and could instantly tell the fuel smelled bad. Shining a light into it I could see it had a brownish tint and there was a separated layer down below (water more than likely). The seller was asking $800 for it. I offered $500. He took it immediately. He obviously didn’t have a clue to how to repair it. As you can see in the “before” picture when I got it home it was partially taken apart by the hapless seller. I used the Permatex plastic weld on the broken rear turn signal, hence the black duct tape holding it in place while it cured (see photo). Great stuff BTW. I pulled the sparkplugs and ran compression checks (150, 140, 150 & 136). Not bad. I think the low #4 cylinder reading is a tight valve. I’ll confirm that soon enough. So I knew the electrical was good with easy cranking engine and spark. I then proceeded to drain the nasty gas from the tank. I then treated it to an acid wash and isopropyl alcohol rinse followed by a WD40 spray. I then added fresh gas with Seafoam. This is another great product too. I then turned my attention to the rest of the fuel system. To flush and test the fuel pump, I rigged up a funnel filled with xylene to the intake hose. I then used a disposable pipette that I pumped it to simulate the vacuum from the running engine. I continued to do this until clean xylene flowed out. I then reinstalled it with new hoses. I then replaced the air filter (nasty, probably the original) and pulled the carbs (also nasty with plugged jets and rust in the bowls…but it ran great all summer according to the seller). I cleaned them and used the $0.10 carb mod as outlined by this group (neat idea). I set the floats with a micrometer and double checked with the clear tube on the outside. I set the pilot air screws to 1.5 turns out and fired it up. Boy was it loud! The Vance & Hines was almost deafening inside my garage, but it did run pretty good. So now I had a running bike (still a bit rough in the low rpms and idle), but I figured I would run a couple of tanks of gas (with Seafoam) to clean out any last remants of crud that might still be there before diving into it again if need be. Now to address the little things that make a good bike great, i.e. start spending money on the lesser critical things now that you know it runs. I found a stock exhaust on Ebay (silence is golden and I’m selling the V&H right now on Ebay) and picked up a tank bra on this site from Radare (Thanks!). I had a tank bra on another Seca II and liked it a lot. On this bike I also like the fact it tones down the “Smurf blue” and hides a few nasty dings on the tank. A under belly faring (if I can find a cheap one) would complete the look I want. Hope you enjoyed my long winded story. Check out the before and after pictures attached (hope they loaded right). More importantly, I hope someone else finds my story helpful in their project.

Jimbo

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Welcome Jimbo! I like the name you've given the blue. Smurf Blue is one of the rarer colors on the Seca II and it's nice to see a project with one. What are your future plans for the bike, once you get the small bits ironed out and a belly pan fitted?

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Welcome, and great story. Wow, 5 seca II's, that's alot. What other bikes have you ridden? If you have ridden many others, what makes you keep coming back to the Seca II? I know why I love mine, but always good to see why other people prefer them over other bikes.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Orlando, FL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 SECA II

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 am

Welcome! Love the bike! Do you have a link to the V&H exhaust you're selling on ebay?
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

Drapheus
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: North Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 XJ600, 92 XJ600

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:17 am

It's great to have you, Jimbo!
'92 XJ600 - 50k | '95 XJ600 - 5k
Andrew Long Motography

Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: IL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:00 am

Hi everyone,

I plan to probably keep this one and make it my daily rider. What I liked about these bikes is the overall feel you get with ownership. They fit nice and are comfortable, easy to work on, reliable, which allows you to just focus more on the enjoyment of riding. They may not excel in any given area, but when taken as a whole it works!

I have owned everything from minibikes like the Honda Z50s to superbikes like the Honda CB1000F Hurricane and everything in between like trail bikes, supermotos, scooters and cruisers. I am partial to the Japanese brands though I had a BMW R850R at one time too. The "buy and fix thing" is a hobby and doesn't cost me anything but time as I always sell for more, though usually not any huge sums. The extra cash just fuels more purchases which broadens my knowledge of bikes and answers questions like , "How good is that bike?". I think when you work on a bike you become more one with it (Sounding Spock like with that comment). Also building up something is satisfying. Kind of like building models (which I did and still do from time to time too) where some of the biggest enjoyment is the build itself. If that makes sense?

Draco here is the Ebay link below for the V&H exhaust I'm selling. There nice pipes, lighter weight, and seem to perform a litle better on the top end, but they are just too loud in my opinion even with a new baffle. I guess I'm getting too old :|

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VANCE-HINES-SUP ... 3cc274182e

Jimbo

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: