'92 Seca II "Scarlett" - Disaster..

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
User avatar
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Posts: 1751
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 pm
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
Location: Thumb Area
United States of America

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Aw man! I'm sorry about the accident, but sure glad you didn't get really injured! Even at that speed, it could have been worse.

As far as being a bit scared of it...good! You should be! ...but only a bit. Every motorcycle rider would do well to always ride with just a bit of healthy fear. Riding a motorcycle is AWESOME! ...but, if we're being honest, it definitely is more dangerous than cars and trucks. You can drive most autos with nearly no fear, and you'll be fine 95% of the time. I know. I drive on the same roads as those idiots every day, and natural selection hasn't eliminated them yet. Motorcycles aren't that way. If you don't maintain a healthy bit of fear - just enough to help you remember to drive defensively and wisely, odds are you'll pay for it eventually.

For you as a new biker, of course you'll have more fear than that. It's a new thing, and it can be dangerous, so fear is natural. Don't let that stop you, though. The point in fear is just to alert you to the possibility of danger to make you think to protect yourself. So, protect yourself by using the proper gear, learning from someone with experience (we all highly recommend taking a motorcycle safety course!), and taking it slow and easy while you learn. Eventually, you'll feel so comfortable with it that you'll have to remind yourself to maintain that healthy fear that keeps you safe.

...and, in the meantime, enjoy the fruits of your labors as you learn repair skills from your learning mistakes along the way! ;)

Live and learn...but remember the first part is to live!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

User avatar
Scape
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:23 pm
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Seca 2

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:08 pm

SpeedRacerOnline wrote:Aw man! I'm sorry about the accident, but sure glad you didn't get really injured! Even at that speed, it could have been worse.

As far as being a bit scared of it...good! You should be! ...but only a bit. Every motorcycle rider would do well to always ride with just a bit of healthy fear. Riding a motorcycle is AWESOME! ...but, if we're being honest, it definitely is more dangerous than cars and trucks. You can drive most autos with nearly no fear, and you'll be fine 95% of the time. I know. I drive on the same roads as those idiots every day, and natural selection hasn't eliminated them yet. Motorcycles aren't that way. If you don't maintain a healthy bit of fear - just enough to help you remember to drive defensively and wisely, odds are you'll pay for it eventually.

For you as a new biker, of course you'll have more fear than that. It's a new thing, and it can be dangerous, so fear is natural. Don't let that stop you, though. The point in fear is just to alert you to the possibility of danger to make you think to protect yourself. So, protect yourself by using the proper gear, learning from someone with experience (we all highly recommend taking a motorcycle safety course!), and taking it slow and easy while you learn. Eventually, you'll feel so comfortable with it that you'll have to remind yourself to maintain that healthy fear that keeps you safe.

...and, in the meantime, enjoy the fruits of your labors as you learn repair skills from your learning mistakes along the way! ;)

Live and learn...but remember the first part is to live!
Thank you for your words of encouragement.

I know it is good to have a little fear. I plan on taking a rider safety course, but Getting laid off yesterday kind of put a hold on a few things. My bike being one of them.

So in time, I will be out riding..

User avatar
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Posts: 8476
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:
United States of America

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:10 pm

The bike faired pretty well. Sucks that your fairing and muffler are scraped up but it happens. Maybe there can be a naked conversion in your future.

As Speed recommended, sign up for the MSF course in the spring and take it. You will learn a lot and it will help you with your fear. Many of us started that route.

User avatar
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Posts: 1751
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 pm
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
Location: Thumb Area
United States of America

Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:22 pm

Scape wrote:...but Getting laid off yesterday kind of put a hold on a few things. My bike being one of them.
Oof! When it rains, it pours, eh? Been there way too many times. The way my current job pays, I almost might as well be laid off, lol. (I love my job, but the pay is really bad.)

Do some searching on the safety course, and you might find a deal. For instance, we have a community college near us (Delta College) that offers a course every summer that always gets rave reviews from everybody for just $25. They even provide the bikes. You just have to bring your own safety gear (helmet, boots, gloves, etc), and come ready to learn. I've been riding since I was 4, but I plan on taking the course with my wife sometime, 1) for moral support, and 2) because I know I could still learn some stuff, too.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

User avatar
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:31 am
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 YAMAHA XJ 600 N
Location: Timis
Romania

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:30 am

May I add that if you don't have good tires you will fall often or lay the bike down allot (saying from personal experience). My first ride was like that, i got to 40km/h and i thought i was going very fast, but you will get used to it. Seeing as u went down from front brake indicates that you have plastic tires or very good brake on front. My old rear tire would slide after downshifting, it looked new but it was old and like plastic. After i changed them it was like i had a different bike, the handling, braking was safe and i started enjoying and loving the bike.
1997 XJ600N Diversion
-(rusted inside)Marving Master 4 in 2 exhaust system
-DID X-Ring Chain 520 VX-Gold 110 Link
-Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips

User avatar
Scape
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:23 pm
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Seca 2

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:34 am

MichaelX wrote:May I add that if you don't have good tires you will fall often or lay the bike down allot (saying from personal experience). My first ride was like that, i got to 40km/h and i thought i was going very fast, but you will get used to it. Seeing as u went down from front brake indicates that you have plastic tires or very good brake on front. My old rear tire would slide after downshifting, it looked new but it was old and like plastic. After i changed them it was like i had a different bike, the handling, braking was safe and i started enjoying and loving the bike.
I plan to get a new set of tires soon enough, along with a chain and sprockets.
My front brakes are very good, I pull it just a hair and it's already starting to engage. Which is mostly why I set it down, Because I wasn't used to it.

User avatar
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Posts: 8476
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:
United States of America

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:50 am

Scape wrote:I plan to get a new set of tires soon enough, along with a chain and sprockets.
My front brakes are very good, I pull it just a hair and it's already starting to engage. Which is mostly why I set it down, Because I wasn't used to it.
The front brakes should not be that grabby. Have you checked the pads and rotor on the front? Also, the caliper slide pins?

User avatar
Scape
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:23 pm
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Seca 2

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:05 am

radare wrote:
Scape wrote:I plan to get a new set of tires soon enough, along with a chain and sprockets.
My front brakes are very good, I pull it just a hair and it's already starting to engage. Which is mostly why I set it down, Because I wasn't used to it.
The front brakes should not be that grabby. Have you checked the pads and rotor on the front? Also, the caliper slide pins?
I have not check them, What should I be looking for? I just assumed they were touchy..

User avatar
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Posts: 8476
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:
United States of America

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 am

They shouldn't be touchy. You should be able to pull the lever in about 1/4" before you feel any braking. After that, they should be linear and very user friendly (remember the reputation this bike has as a beginner bike; it has beginner friendly brakes too).

Pull the front caliper off and take a look at the pads. Look for any sort of contamination, rough surface, etc. Also, look at the rotor for grooves, rust, contamination and varied thickness. When the caliper is off and the pads removed, move the pad bracket and see if it slides back and forth along the slider pins, easily. And then look at the piston and make sure it's clean and shiny (no rust).

User avatar
Scape
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:23 pm
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Seca 2

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Well, It's been cold and actually snowed the past few days. That's Wisconsin for you..

In the down time I welded on O2 Bungs so I can fix the A/F ratio.

My welds wont win any award, but they work.
I was lazy and didn't want to take my exhaust back off. So I just welded it on the bike.

Just waiting on the O2 sensor and Gauge to get it running perfect

Image
Image
Image

Post Reply