Restoring 96 Xj600

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
jdc518
New to XJR
New to XJR

Picked up a 1996 XJ600 last weekend as a second bike for me and one my son can ride. Overall it is all original with all the parts. was running but not well , chain was rusted stiff and rear break caliper is dragging. So first this was to go through the carbs and getting running to see what we have

Pulled carbs flushed tank, had to replace the rubber carb boots and bowl gasket. and while apart drilled the pilot jets out to 0.020". Placed carbs back on and would not start of fill the float bowls. Went on amazon and ordered the polaris fuel pump p/n 2520227 for only $12. and got it the same day wow what service. That seemed to do the trick my son replaced the pump and fuel filter and it fired right up.

So I wanted to adjust the idle circuit and borrowed a Thermal camera from work and picked up that one carb was running lean (see before and Aft adjustment images) very cool way to do the carbs

very helpful

Replaced the chain and worked on the rear caliper this weekend to free it up a bit. and finally took it for a ride. engine feels good and smooth and goes through all the gears.

Thanks for all the tips on this forum

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login