XJ600s/n after head rebuild

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ 600 S Diversion

Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:06 am

How did you attach the odometer/speedometer? Did you buy a bracket, did you make something? Got any pictures?

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Oulu, Finland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S butt naked modificated

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 am

radare wrote:Sounds like your idle speed might be a bit low, but congrats on getting it going. Sounds good!

And regarding the headlight; wow, now that's a rats nest of wires. Did they cut up the main harness or just the headlight subharness?
I think that it is the subharness what's been chopped and modified. Still all of the original dashlight sockets are attached and insulated. I did not yet connect the tachometer signal wire so i don't know the idle speed, but luckily it is easy to adjust :thumbsup:
AleksanderMoRod wrote:How did you attach the odometer/speedometer? Did you buy a bracket, did you make something? Got any pictures?
The cluster was on the bike when i bought it and it is attached to handlebar fasteners on clusters own bracket

MiguelSilva
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Setubal
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 96

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:33 am

Hi, im also thinking in buying that Odometer to my Project.

Did you had any trouble conecting the wires? did you conect the REV wires directly to the stock ones or did you add a resistor?

About the Spedometer, can you show how you attached the magnet and the sensor?
XJ 600 PROJECT REBORN - Check my Project Here - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7913

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:26 pm

MiguelSilva wrote:Hi, im also thinking in buying that Odometer to my Project.

Did you had any trouble conecting the wires? did you conect the REV wires directly to the stock ones or did you add a resistor?

About the Spedometer, can you show how you attached the magnet and the sensor?
I think that Koso meter is excellent choice for having a compact and goodlooking cluster. I dont have picture of my speed sensor but the sensor is attached near rear brake disk and the magnet is on one of the brake disk bolts.
about the wiring, i haven't done it myself, thats why the "rats nest" mess under headlights :oops:
The full wiring diagram is available on the Koso manual

MiguelSilva
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Setubal
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 96

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:30 pm

you attached the spedometer into the rear? that will cause badreading if you wheel spins( slips )..
Should you have place it on the front?
XJ 600 PROJECT REBORN - Check my Project Here - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7913

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:53 pm

MiguelSilva wrote:you attached the spedometer into the rear? that will cause badreading if you wheel spins( slips )..
Should you have place it on the front?
Yes the speed is read from the rear wheel. Sensor's has been installed by former owner of the bike...
I think that the tolerance in reading speed wrong during wheel slipping or burning rubber wont be a big thing if thinking about mileage reading. At my case i have 58 000 km on old odometer and about 9000 km on koso odometer. Sure it is possible to install sensors on front wheel to prevent these things to happen.

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:08 am

I was wondering if Divvy has an oil pressure sensor? does that oil level sensor measure pressure too? My koso cluster has an oil temperature sensor not attached to anything, is there a sense place to put to measure oil temp? should i buy the adapter plate between crankcase and oilfilter, thinking if i later install a oil cooler 'cos that plate has connections already for that... :huh:

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon May 02, 2016 2:54 am

Finally i got this thing on the road!
before that, i fixed the front end wiring which was messy AF
This is the result of hours of work. I was using soldering and heat-shrinking tube and lot of PVC-tape. Came out just fine.

The front wheel bearings were totally over. Both bearing had serious gap and the whole center was filled with rusty slime.

Yesterday i drove it about 100km test ride and no problems occurred, if the minor clutch slipping doesn't count, it occurs only on high speed ex. passing cars and changing gears on high rev.
Next thing is to wash the bike perfect and in the future clutch reneving as also the minor rattling could be fixed.

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:05 am

Season is now over here in finland and bike went to shelter for a while.
i think a bit lean mixture is causing the power cutting off at high rpm. Next thing is to try change main jets some bigger number.
Also i have ordered new blinkers and levers which i install later... some small windscreen is in a development state at the moment. I'll post some photos of it later. I have driven the bike about 4000km after the rebuild and nothing bigger problems have not yet occurred so i assume that this thing was saved from wrecking by small actions 8-)

whathifi
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Saarijärvi
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Xj600S -94

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:57 pm

Täytyypäs seurantaan laittaa tämä 🙂. Need to follow this topic.
- Opel on pop -

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us