XJ600s/n after head rebuild

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:48 am

For sure it will be cheaper to buy whole cylinderhead

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Oulu, Finland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S butt naked modificated

Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:16 am

Okay it is time for little status update :)
Got a deal of 38k km driven cylinderhead with valves and it is on it's way somewhere between germany and finland. Hopefully next week i could take a closer look of it.

came to see what's up for the bike. Didn't see any oil leaks or cracked rear swing so looks good to me.
Here's a photo of the camchain tensioner, seems to work just fine, still wondering what has happened to screw up the cylinderhead...

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Had some free time after work so i took a closer look of the new cylinderhead.
Bought this piece from germany for extremely cheap price. Only 76€ delivered to my near post office. Head came with valves and shims. Valve seats has been remaked recently and all bolts and threads seems to be fine. Noticed only little scratches on sealing surface but they wont be in contact with oil pressure, so they wont be a problem. Seems to be a bolt on installation (luckily). For now i'm healing my bank accounts :twocents: :twocents: so i could get new gaskets for top end.
I'm still not sure would i use OEM head gasket and oil galley seals or should i order Athena's top end gasket kit, What i know Athena should be one manufacturer with good reputation on gaskets quality... But baby steps, this bike hopefully will run at least in a few months.
Also im waiting for weather to warm up, temperature outside was just -30 degree celsius last week and i dont have a warm place to work with :)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:12 pm

I'd recommend using the genuine Yamaha head gasket and oil galley seals. They are durable, reliable and you know they will last. Nothing sucks more than tearing apart something you recently built to replace a failed gasket.

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:53 am

Mailman brought my headgasket yesterday!

Two days ago i got new valve stem seals from poland and today after work i assembled valves and adjusted valve clearances. Luckily the new cylinderhead came with shims so i didn't have to buy any new one, i found all kind of thickness that i needed. The measuring tool i have, only got slides on 0,05mm steps. i adjusted intake valves to 0,15mm each and exhaust valves to 0,20mm. I think that the tolerance would be ok...
Today was a payday so i walked straight to our local yamaha dealer and ordered the rest things i need to get this piece of junk running! :thumbsup: Price for exhaust seals, oil seals to cylinder and couple of copper washers was about 20 euros, not bad at all. OEM exhaust seals costs 14,90€ each so i took them as a aftermarket part...

At the first weekend of march i'm going to build this thing ready so let's wait for a video from the first start(if it starts)

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:36 am

Ookay. Just got home from the workshop and this is the result!
Assembling went well and fast, thanks to the haynes manual book. Even when the book was on my cellphone and temperature was around -1 and +2 celsius and the cellphone's battery died every 5 minute... But we got it running!

Littlebit of misfiring caused by old sparkplugs but the timing seems to be correct and it did not break yet :clap:
phpBB [video]

Things to do before i hit the road:
New bearings to the front wheel, was clacking a quite well
Spark plugs
New clutch cable if the old one won't loose even a bit.
Rear brakecylinder needs a redo. slightly jammed but working.
Wider handlebar.
Tachometer signal missing, wiring must be wrong.

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ 600 S Diversion

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:14 am

Are you using the SS182 (china replica) speedo and tach? As far as I've read, the tach is a bit troublesome.
You can read more on it here: http://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/c ... ps-152756/

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:22 am

AleksanderMoRod wrote:Are you using the SS182 (china replica) speedo and tach? As far as I've read, the tach is a bit troublesome.
You can read more on it here: http://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/c ... ps-152756/
This one should be a genuine koso rx1n multifunction gauge. Rev signal should be taken from pick up sensor or spark wire. I think the original signal ain't compatible with koso. Luckily there is a full wiring diagram available on google :thumbsup:

Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:05 am

The bike had it's spark plugs changed and fired up right away and runs smoothly!
Old NGK's looked like dump. So i bought new Denso's and this happened.
phpBB [video]

Took the bike for a little test ride and it ran pretty well for a 600cc, i think this is fully powered, even that the registration documents says this is 37kW. Intake boots are not restricted...
During next weeks i'll have to take an insurance and pick up licence plate from the inspection officers. Also those front wheel bearings will be renewed. I'll take few pics of it too.
At the end im gaining some motivation to solve this mess

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:29 pm

Sounds like your idle speed might be a bit low, but congrats on getting it going. Sounds good!

And regarding the headlight; wow, now that's a rats nest of wires. Did they cut up the main harness or just the headlight subharness?

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us