XJ600s/n after head rebuild

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Oulu, Finland
Motorcycles:: XJ600S butt naked modificated

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi.

First i started to write this in introduction area but moved my story here.

Few weeks ago i bought this bike, which was told to be unable to start. Seller told me that the bike eas running earlier spring but then wont start then trying. I was excited about buying a bike with little spark of gas problems and dead battery.
Paid 500euros for this thing.

Got home and tried to start. Little inspection and noticed it had no compression at all on all cylinders. I disassebled the cylinderhead and saw all exhaust valves and 1 intake valve bended. At this point i demanded the seller to refund 100euros from broken valves. I still think that he just tried to fool me around.
At the end, final price for this was 400 euros and for that i got a bike with koso cluster and Ixil slip on silencer and all original parts. Bike mileage is about 80 000kilometers

The bike is a 60 miles away from my home so there wont be any serious updating happening a while, just a little bit at the time. But there is plenty of time to spring as it seems now, just looking out of the window and it is snowing :clap:
For now, my final goal is to get this thing running during the winter and fixed up for the roads until the riding season starts.

More coming soon.
Next step is to clean all the ports and grind the new valves to the sylinderhead.Kit of valves i ordered from UK and should arrive in next week
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Ooo, I almost never see bare valves on the first post of a build thread. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region:: North Colorado
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Getting right down to business. This should be good.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:20 am

Wow, I wonder what happened to bend all those valves? :o
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:52 am

I think that the former mechanic hasn't been fully awknoledged about setting the timing. As i saw there was fresh oil and filter on the motor, some work has been done. Timing chain tensioner could have maybe failed... On the other hand the dealer told me that he was able to start the engine and never heard the bang which i doubt... this kind of thing usually comes with a slight rattle :D

Just noticed that the package is dispatched from UK and heading to Finland. So maybe end of the week i manage to fit new valves to the cylinderhead. I did not have funds to buy brand new valves 'cos the 35$ price each was just too high so the parts are from wrecked bike. Well i hope that those are at least not bended :)
Grumps
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Droitwich Spa
Motorcycles:: XJ600s BMW K1600GTL, Suzuki DL650, Explorer Xc

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:15 am

Good luck. This is going to be an interesting thread as I have to do my head gasket this winter.
Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:39 am

Any ideas for top end gaskets? Im found brand called NE gaskets. Sure athena or centauro would be better quality but does anyone have experience of these NE gaskets? Price does matter where NE costs about half of athena's ~140€

But for the rebuild, just 2 days ago picked up the valves from the post office and ill post some new pics shortly :thumbsup:
Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:01 am

Next step.... unfortunately backwards! :oops:

First i was like yay!

But then i was like meh...
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Romania
Motorcycles:: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S
Romania

Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Is that a crack on the valve guide?
Byge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:27 pm

predrag80 wrote:Is that a crack on the valve guide?
Yes it is. All of the intake valve guides and one exhaust guide has cracked. Now i really have to think about my financial status, meaning those guides costs about 40€ for one guide. Think that it is cheaper to buy whole cylinderhead from scrapyard than renewing those valve guides. :(

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us