Could use some insight on '97 Seca II wiring

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
SquireSCA
New to XJR
New to XJR

Long time rider. Started in dirt in 1980 and got my first street bike in 1996, new red Seca II. Rode it for several years and 25k miles and that got me hooked.

Since then I have had a lot of bikes. Currently on a new GSX-R750.

However, my buddy has had his 1997 Seca II that he bought used about 6 years ago... He has dropped it a few times, and as he has had a really bad spell of luck of late(divorce, his mom and brother died withing months of each other, his dog died), I decided to try and cheer him up.

He has a black '98 Seca II and so I took off all the plastics and we are going for a retro cafe or streetfighter look as I have seen from lurking here and elsewhere.

Ordered up the EMBO headlight assembly, got the brackets that mount to the forks, got a new but retro style set of chrome analogue gauges, set of retro looking front blinkers(non LED) and made a bracket to mount the gauges where I want them. I plan to add a small panel nestled between them that will house the large LED's for hi-beam, neutral, oil pressure and signals, in the appropriate colors of course.

Added a bar-end mirror on the left, bike has brand new sporty rubber, a new gold chain, steel braided line up front with EBC HH pads...

We plan to redo the ugly tail light with some sort of integrated unit that does the blinkers as well.

But here is where I am stumped...

1) The brake lights don't work, but the running light does.

2)Also, when I wired in the front blinkers, which are incandescent, they come on as running lights, but they don't flash or do anything. I have tried different combos with the 3 wires, as there are 3 wires in the harness and 3 wires for the blinkers. No matter what combo I try, they either don't light up at all, or they just stay on bright, hitting the turn signal switch does nothing. I tried it with the key on and the bike not running, and with it idling.

Brake lights don't do anything but sit there as a running light.

What am I missing here? Has to be something...

Any idears?

I will post up pics as the build hits completion...

Thanks!
Last edited by SquireSCA on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login