1992 XJ600 Seca II Diversion

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s
Australia

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi all.. i am hoping you can help me..

i have just got a 1992 XJ600 Seca II for a project bike (basically to learn on) and need help.. i tried to start it today after i pickup it up and connected the battery and hit the starter button.

this resulted in the Starter motor spinning a humming noise (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) and never got close to starting the bike, or engaging the flywheel

Yes i did buy the bike and have not heard it running as the seller did not have a battery but did say it had a stater issue. Would this be a simple fix like pulling the started and clean then refit, or from experience could there be more.

any idea's ??

l would like to get it started before i start throwing money at it....

thanks

Andrew...

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Hooo boy. Could just need a new starter, but your starter gear is likely stripped. That means pulling the engine and opening it up to do some surgery. Pull the starter first and see what the teeth on the gear look like. Post a picture up and we'll go from there.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Australia

Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks
fateddy wrote:Pull the starter first and see what the teeth on the gear look like. Post a picture up and we'll go from there.
Thanks, will do in the next day or so..

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Ed is correct. Stripped starter gears are getting more common as these bikes get older and their petcocks wear out.

Here's a writeup I did showing some of what is required to access and replace the stripped starter gears.

viewtopic.php?t=6298

andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Australia

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:14 am

OK so i pulled the starter and the gear on that looks ok,

Wait for it....... BUT...hen i look inside the the Stater Gear (or what ever its name is) i can see the issue

looks like Ed and radare are correct. thank you both... i guess now i will need to prep for surgery in the near future (after parts are sourced of course). Are they any aftermarket or just original ??.

For now, i guess i will just start at the front and fix the fork seals... OK any special tools needed for this job? can they be made easily?

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:13 am

Yeah, your starter gear is toast. Follow that link that radare posted about how to fix it. Make absolutely sure you find every little chunk of metal that fragmented off that gear.

Here's the thread you need for servicing your fork. It's a pretty easy job. You may consider replacing the oil with a 15W to stiffen it up a bit. Seca front ends are notoriously soggy.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the bike? Anybody who sold you that bike with "starter issues" probably had a very good idea what the problem was. If it's a friend or close acquaintance, they probably owe you some money back or at least a bunch of beer.

Capriotti613
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Pa (US)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600, 03 Kawi Zr7s

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Wellp, I happen to have two engines sitting in my den that no one seems to want. Neither of which had any noticeable issues in that department, so I could probably hook you up with cheap (VERY cheap) Oem parts. I just want to clean out, and help out. It's bad enough you got sold a lame bike(lame as in crippled), I don't wanna see you get beat up by eBay prices. It's definitely not the smallest job, but with the excellent write-ups, and cheap parts, you'll be good to go in no time.

andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Australia

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:53 am

fateddy wrote:If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the bike? Anybody who sold you that bike with "starter issues" probably had a very good idea what the problem was. If it's a friend or close acquaintance, they probably owe you some money back or at least a bunch of beer.
Very cheap $500 AUD. The bike is in ok condition, it just been sitting ... No rego with starter issue. thought i could just replace the starter motor and would be good. Anyway look at the positive this was purchased for me to learn on and now looks like i will be fixing first. At least i will totally understand the bike...

My plan will be to do a quick fix (well not so quick, will be my first engine rebuild), learn to ride on it then maybe fix it up, seen these looking real nice (single headlight, new seat fresh paint, etc)

andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Australia

Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 am

Capriotti613 wrote:Wellp, I happen to have two engines sitting in my den that no one seems to want. Neither of which had any noticeable issues in that department, so I could probably hook you up with cheap (VERY cheap) Oem parts.

That would be Fantastic, thanks. Shipping on complete engines to Australia would be quite costly i would think or do you just parts..

You are CORRECT eBAY is getting very expensive..

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:02 pm

andrewed1 wrote: Very cheap $500 AUD. The bike is in ok condition, it just been sitting ... No rego with starter issue. thought i could just replace the starter motor and would be good. Anyway look at the positive this was purchased for me to learn on and now looks like i will be fixing first. At least i will totally understand the bike...

My plan will be to do a quick fix (well not so quick, will be my first engine rebuild), learn to ride on it then maybe fix it up, seen these looking real nice (single headlight, new seat fresh paint, etc)
That's a good way to look at it. Actually knowing how the bike works is on par with being a good rider. Can't fix what you don't understand, can't even really recognize good running condition if you don't know how it works. This place is the best resource for a rebuild, we've had quite a few completed, and several ongoing.

Good luck.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93