the "UGLY BIKE" (finally a build thread for it)

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
MrJoel
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

This thing started out in October of 2014 as a trade for a $200 handgun. As you will see, the craigslist pics were not that accurate and I have found out that it was crashed pretty hard by the previous owner. The previous owner didn't cover it and stored it outside with minimal maintenance and a failed at the 4-5 different colors of spray bomb that were kinda applied. I can see metallic blue, yellow, red, brown and black...one piece has orange as layer #3.
Mechanically, the tires were too weathered to ride on and didn't hold air at all (test ride was a bit worrisome). The fork tubes were raised up in the triples about 1.25" which caused some steering issues. The 4/1 exhaust nuts were seized to the exhaust studs and 3 of them broke off and had to be redrilled and tapped and I just switched out with my other projects exhaust headers after some alignment issues. The seat latch hoop is broken and got switched out for the other project bike's as well. I installed the new sinko tires on the other bikes rims and threw those on the ugly bike as well. Rear brake caliper was seized and the chain was stretched beyond usability (rusted and just a HD chain)...thus receiving the rebuilt caliper and new O-ring chain meant for the cafe project.
This started out as "mr white pants" due to the odd white seat (named after my old buddies nickname after an unfortunate incident where he wore white pants and looked ridiculous). Then every time my 4 year old saw it, he called it the ugly bike. So, Ugly Bike it is!
It is up and running now after simply wanting to adjust the valves and clean the carbs. Unfortunately, the carbs were horrible and had the needle seats siliconed in and all kinds of issues. I've now cleaned the carbs 3 times (initial attempt, thorough pinesol cleaning, pinesol with braking the banks apart). Now, it's back on, running and not flooding (hopefully). I'll add some pics in a few minutes. It will be an ongoing project until the cafe is up and going.

This topic has 8 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login