Radare's Seca II Scrambler (PBT take 2)

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:48 pm

I think this one is a bit too much for the bike. I like them, but on this bike I would go for a chromed or aluminium one, not a black one. Something a bit more like:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:17 pm

arnehulstein wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:48 pm
I think this one is a bit too much for the bike. I like them, but on this bike I would go for a chromed or aluminium one, not a black one. Something a bit more like:

You have a really good point there Arne. I completely agree.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:03 pm

I think Arne's suggestion hits the nail on the head.

It makes sense to protect the glass, but the black one is a bit much.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Bought another bag. This one is a used scooter bag. A girlfriend had one, years ago, that she used on her Vespa. I remember it being good quality.

I found this one for $20, shipped. It's a bit worn and I don't care much for the logo on back. I think some new straps and a can of black vinyl paint would do it good. Or I may sew a patch over the logo. A good friend of mine gave me a Yamaha patch a few years back and I've been looking for a place for it. I think the design will compliment the sidebags, nicely.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:16 pm

I couldn't make the cheap WR 250 pegs I bought, work. After removing enough material from the pivot point to make them fit the XJ pegs, they were down to about 1.5mm on each side. And then, they had a 10mm mounting hole that needed to be shimmed. So I've given up on those, unfortunately. I'll leave them in the parts bin and see if I can find something else to do with them.

I came up with an idea for some homemade pegs that I may make, using a 3/4" square tube and a length of 1" strapping iron. I'll draw it up when I find a few moments and then I'll build a set and see how they work out. If they're homemade, they're also easily homemodified.

In the interim, though, I thought I'd try a set of Chinese pegs, so I bought a pair of these to see if I could make them work. I like that they have a wide footprint and are made of aluminum. I'm not so sure on the strength of the mounting point, though, or how the peg is bolted to the adapter. But I'm going to give them a shot and let you all know.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:08 am

Wider pegs are a great help offroad. I changed them on my Transalp and have to adapt a Chinese set for the Tiger still. There are lots of different models to work with. I had to buy 3 before I found a set that would fit the Tiger, though I still have to get someone to weld something on a bar so the pegs sit level. Right now they hang downwards a bit and that is no help at all. ;)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Fender and horn brackets came. They look fantastic. Now I need to figure out how to shape them. :ponder:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Today I shaped the front fender brace. I used a combination of a ratchet strap, 4" ABS pipe filled with sand, and a rubber mallet to shape it. I had to mount it up in the vise to get the shape right where the brace mounts to the fender.

The triumph fender then bolted up really nicely, almost as if the brace were made for it ( ;) )

I rode it out to Boulder afterwards. I think the fender looks good and the additional clearance is much welcomed.

I am really liking the new brake and clutch levers, btw.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Looking good!

It might just be me and the picture vantage point, but it seems as if the clearance of the tire is bigger at the back than the front...

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 am

I'm sitting at a coffee shop, having a coffee and some pumpkin bread, and watching the Scrambler out the window. Two guys on some really nice Road Kings walk up and start looking it over. You can see the smiles on their faces as they walk around it, trying to figure out what it is. Eventually they walk away, smiling and talking.

This happens all the time, at gas stations, coffee shops and other break stops and I'll admit, I love it. It's good to see interest in these old bikes, even if it's mere curiosity. Wonder what they would say if they knew it was an old Seca II in new clothes.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us