Radare's Seca II Scrambler (PBT take 2)

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:51 pm

I have officially decided to abandon my Parts Bin Tourer project. I put a lot of work into it, had fun, learned a fair bit and spent a lot of money. I sorted out the Bandit 600 wheel swap, the R1 electronic speedometer conversion, and proved that you can put other fairings on the XJ. But in the end, I don't see this bike fitting into my garage. I already have two other XJ's that I enjoy riding and both are capable of distance touring. Bolt a set of Givi E21 bags onto my red '92 Seca II and it'd be ready.

I've let PBT sit in my garage for the past two years and collect dust. It hasn't moved.

As I've already mentioned, I've decided to give up on PBT. But NOT give up on this bike. Instead, I am going to repurpose the project and move it in a direction that will result in something I can use. It has occurred to me that I don't want to take my two complete XJ's down dirt roads, but many of the things I want to see in Colorado require some sort of dirt travel. So this one, instead of being another pretty faired bike in my garage, would be one I could take out and go camping with, ride some dirt-roads in Utah with, or take up to Yellowstone. The idea would be, comfortable, capable, light and simple. With no pretty bodywork to worry about and plenty of places to attach racks. If you want to label it, I'd call it a Seca II Scrambler.

Some requirements for this new project are as follows:
  • Use as many of the parts that I already have, as possible
  • Minimize the amount of bodywork to damage or worry about scratching.
  • Keep it as simple, straightforward and light as possible
  • It should be comfortable enough for full-day rides, both sitting and standing
  • I don't have to have the final version done on the first shot; it can be a work in progress
With those things in mind, here's a cartoonistic drawing showing what I have in mind:

I have a lot of the parts to put this one together in my parts-bin, currently. I'd run the FZR600 front suspension, Bandit 600 rear wheel, build a simple new tail and custom seat, and run a round headlight with electronic gauges (remember that R1 cluster I have?). I'd fit the wheels with a set of Avon Distanzia tires.

Considering all the parts I currently have, I plan to use the following:
  • 7" Delkevic headlight I have on the workbench
  • Spare set of signals sitting in K's garage
  • Spare set of prototype headlight brackets
  • R1 electronic speedometer I bought a few years back
  • FZR600 front end, that's already on it.
  • Blue-dot calipers that are in my basement
  • Daytona handlebars that are currently on it.
  • 16mm master cylinder I accidently bought for my red '92
  • Stock clutch perch from my black '92
  • The stock engine, airbox, carbs and bits that came in the box with PBT when I bought it
  • Stock fuel pump that's sitting in a box in the garage
  • Stock header and exhaust that I removed from my black '92.
  • Vstar 650 shock that I pulled off the black '92 earlier this year.
  • 17" RF600 wheel I bought for PBT and have in my garage
  • Bandit 1200 caliper & bracket I bought for PBT and have in my garage
  • GS500 sprocket carrier I bought for PBT and have in the garage
  • Custom sprocket spacer I had made last year
  • The stock wiring that I bought for PBT earlier this year
  • FZ-07 tail light sitting in K's garage
  • Set of engine guards that I'll be pulling off of the red '92 to fit the belly pan on it.

I'd need to source or buy:
  • A stock fuel tank
  • A new petcock
  • GS500 rear caliper
  • Spacers for the rear wheel
  • Suzuki Gladius sprocket
  • A stock swingarm that isn't cut up
  • Set of Napoleon bar-end mirrors (actually, I'd buy these for my black '92 and put its old mirrors on this one)
  • A custom seat
  • Pair of Avon Distanzia tires; 150/70-17 rear, 120/70-17 front
This one would actually be from the parts-bin, just not in the way I'd originally intended before I got carried away.

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:41 am

Shame about not going down the "touring" route, I was liking the style, however I totally get why you changed your mind ( especially since you got the red '92 )
Now I'm definitely looking forward to the "new" direction this bike is going in :thumbsup:
and looking forward to some dirt road ride reports ( eventually...lol ) :)

Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Region or State: United Kingdom
Motorcycles Owned Currently: The Rust Bucket

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:04 am

What about a Rat / cafe racer / scrambler crossover.

A cafe racer in matt black all over, no shiny, no bling.
Knobbly tires, crash protection and ammo box panniers, simple universal tail light and round matt black headlight with a wire guard over in like kantan had.

Would be nice and simple but still classy looking. :thumbsup: :twocents:
1992 Yamaha XJ 600 Neikiddo

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"

MrJoel
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Louisville, ky
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 xj600

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:41 pm

If we are voting on a project...I'm all for the matte green bug out bike, 50 cals mounted fore and aft, lots of ammo boxes and.... Ok, probably not but...

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:56 am

Some Ramblings from a Hotel Room in Amarillo:
I've been giving this some thought and I really want to keep this bike simple. I'm actually not even going to keep the FZR600 front fork on it. I do have enough spare components to put together a stock Seca II front end and will use that on it, including the stock wheel and single caliper. I want this bike to have the softer stock suspension and the dual front brakes will be overkill on dirt.

I'm also thinking about running the stock rear wheel for the time-being with a 130/70 tire. This will keep me from running the Avon Distanzias I wanted to, though, but I can save those for the future. For now, I think I'll use a pair of Kenda Cruiser tires on this one as they're cheap and good on dirt & gravel. The thinner tires also seem to do better on dirt & gravel than the wider series tires.

I'm also thinking this bike will get the VStar 650 shock and not the FZ6R shock. The FZ6R shock is notably firmer than the VStar variant and I think the VStar shock will be the better choice for dual-purpose use.

Up-front, instead of using the R1 gauge cluster, I think I'll use the KZ1000P gauges I bought a few years ago. They will be cheaper and easier to run with the stock front-end than the R1 gauges. I'll save the R1 setup for a future project.

I have a set of Bikemaster Daytona handlebars sitting on my workbench. They're quite comfortable and have a bit more pullback than the European Bend bars I typically prefer. I think that pullback will help with riding comfort on longer rides and when standing on the pegs.

For the front fender, I may use the same Ducati Monster fender that I have on my black '92, modified slightly. Or I may buy a cheap fender off of an XS400, XS650 or KZ bike and modify that to fit. I want something that will give ample protection for the headlight and exhaust while also looking a bit standard.

I don't want this bike to have any sort of fairings/plastics to scratch up. I plan to make the coil covers and side covers out of aluminum and leave them raw. They will attach to weld-tabs on the frames using a pair of rubber-isolated screws.

I bought some 1" steel tubing from McMaster Carr and an 8" cafe-racer style frame loop, also 1" in diameter. I'll use those to build the tail. I hope the 1" steel tubing looks apropriate with the larger tubing of the front-frame sections. Also, when I build the tail, I plan to add some simple mounts for side-bag supports. This one will be used with leather or cloth saddlebags and the supports will keep the bags out of the rear wheel. The supports will be removable as-needed.

For lighting, I'll use a Delkevic 7" headlight up-front. This light uses an H4 bulb and is quite bright with a good pattern. I've used this one in the past with good results and its cheap. I'm also considering using signals from a late-model Triumph Bonneville. Owners typically pull them off to replace them with more stylistic versions and they can be had cheap. For the tail light: I used a simple trailer tail-light on my XS400 and it worked quite well. It was plenty bright, looked fairly good and was easy to replace if damaged. Best of all, it was cheap. I plan to follow suit on this bike.

More ramblings to come . . . :ponder:

aviatortony
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Arizona
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2007 r1, 1996 seca ii, 1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 pm

:thumbsup: Love the concept, can't to see what you do! Also, where did you get that seat? I'm looking at finding a "newer" more comfortable seat for x-country

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:33 am

The slides on this bike's stock carbs aren't great. So I bought a set of ratty California carbs off of eBay and hope I can build one set of good carbs out of the two. When I get these, I'll pull them apart and I'll grab the good parts. Expect another "how to assemble Seca II carbs" write-up soon.

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 am

Great, looking forward to that "how-to". I'm sure I can pull everything apart but putting them back together can be another story.
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Received a package from McMaster-Carr this afternoon.

I bought three sticks of 3' steel tubing to use for the new tail. I'll be fabricating the entire tail from 1" steel tube. I think the larger diameter steel will give it a good stout appearance.

Also, sometime this winter, the wrench and nut for my grinder disappeared. So I had to take a trip to my local Wal-Mart for a new grinder. $33 and some change for this one.

Once I had the new grinder, I was able to cut off the FZ1 tail in short-order:

I have an 8" café-racer style loop coming in the mail. When I get that, I'll be able to get the new, simple tail built. More to come.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:26 pm

A revised version with a few small changes to the tail and side cover:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall