Restoring Yamaha XJ600S 1998

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Create a project page and tell us about the things you're doing to your XJ.
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Restoring Yamaha XJ600S 1998

Post by predrag80 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:37 am

Hallo to everyone!

I have bought in autumn 2014 a Yamaha XJ600S Diversion, from 1998, originally made for French market. Because I was really afraid of buying a stolen bike, I wanted one to be registered in Romania. I decided also that I would like to have model from 1998 onward, because of last updates on the model (I am not sure whether they didn`t made more updates on later produced models) with low mileage and small money, wanting from start to restore it entirely. Since our law does not permit any technical modification on the road bike, I had just one option, and that is to make it as close as possible looking as it was from factory.

The engine was pretty ok and except that typical retelling it ran fine. Exhaust cans are welded to the pipes, which got me crazy, the seat was from the previous model and fairings were cracked. Brakes were totally worn out, from brake pistons to seals and discs. I haven’t seen such a mess in brakes never. Also I have a small problem with worn contact. It is functional but the key is not sitting strait up and you have to find a position in order to turn it.

As I`ve seen, original color scheme is Deep Purplish Red Cocktail 4.

Till now, I`ve stripped down in pieces everything except the engine. Engine is staying in a box, wrapped, and will be thoroughly checked after all the rest is rebuild. Partly because of leak of time and partly because of the costs implied in this restauration.

I have very few pictures from stripping and even as a whole bike, but will post in this topic as much as I have.
Also I will for sure need some guides from you guys, for which I will be most thankful.

This is my only picture from before stripping:

Then I started to buy things:

- Central stand - broken
- appropriate model seat
- rear fairing - broken
- stop light - broken
- swing arm - damaged
- exhaust pipes - welded to exhaust cans
- rear wheel axle - curbed
- front left foot peg - broken and welded
- brake caliper shims - didn`t had
- wheel bearings and seals - bad
- front brake disc - worn our badly
- rear brake disc - worn out badly
- rear under seat mudguard - broken and cut of
- TDM 850TX hugger - wanted to have it
- brake pistons - damaged badly - made on lathe from stainless steel
- swing arm bearings
- exhaust can holder bushings (those under the bike) - replaced with some automotive and adapted
- windshield - made a bigger touring one
- inner panels - missing (those small ones from ventilation wholes)
- rear mudguard flap - missing
- fork oil seals
- Michelin tires

And I can`t remember for now anything else.

The bike is stripped and sent to be sanded and powder coated. At least most of it. I was told that the frame will be painted in candy red, as RAL pallet is pretty limited and that is the closest to the factory color that can be done.
Front fairing was repaired by me, using Steinell ABS rods, some scrap ABS from a Ford, a heat gun (very little) and soldering iron with temperature adjustment. Also used some diluted ABS in acetone but not too much and just for finish. And of course I used my trusty Proxxon in order to make grooves in ABS.

So, here are some pics:

"New" under seat mudguard

"New" mud guard flap

"New" central stand

Handmade wind shield (this is a similar sample)

Don`t know how it`s called, chain slide I guess, but has to be replaced

My damaged swing arm

My damaged rear stop light glass

And some measurements on partly repaired front fairing

My naked frame

As I was informed, today will have to go and pick up painted parts, since they are ready. Here are first pics right from the oven:

Right now I have to paint upper triple, front fork and front footres bracket, which I don`t know if they were originally painted or just sand finished.

I have also placed all my bolts/nuts and small parts in zip bags and labeled according to part catalog with: Part No., how it is called, and how many you have of these at your bike. As my bolts and nuts are mostly worn out and rusty, I am also planning to change them.

Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Region or State: United Kingdom
Motorcycles Owned Currently: The Rust Bucket

Re: Restoring Yamaha XJ600S 1998

Post by Detonation » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Looking good so far mate :thumbsup:
1992 Yamaha XJ 600 Neikiddo

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Post by predrag80 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Thank you for appreciation!

First pics of my newly powder coated frame direct from oven:

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh man, that's gonna look so nice when it's done! Great job! I'm glad to see another XJ being resurrected! Welcome to XJRider!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Post by predrag80 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:36 am

And here are the updates: On Thursday I went to pick up motorcycle parts from powder coating. And here they are in my garage:

Frame: I don`t know if you can observe on picture but it is candy red.

Rear wheel with NG brake disc on it

Other stuff:

And my old exhaust. Have/want to replace it

And some of my tools (not the best in the world but I can do my work with them):

So I started to insert bearings and seals in the wheels, bushings etc. I`ve used SKF and KOYO bearings, never was fan of All Balls, and there was not a problem. I have though a problem with seals: those bigger seals form the front and rear wheel are 1mm thicker. Would that be a real problem? I couldn`t find correct size at my hardware store. Second thing is, all my wheel seals are with 2 lips instead of replaced 3 lip seals, but I think it`s not a real problem. Then, on front weel I had 2 open KOYO bearings 6203. I`ve bought the same 2 SKF open bearings but I`m not sure weather should I put them or get sealed bearings. Then, At the rear wheel, I`ve had those 2 bearings on the left side originally sealed, but then, inner side of each bearing was unsealed. Should I do the same or should I leave them sealed?
In order to powder coat master brake cylinder, I had to remove sightglass from it. My sightglass has 18mm diameter. I`ve looked at the part list and Yamaha is not offering it as a separate part. But, I`ve seen a separate part at ebay.com, sold in USA, and I was wondering if somebody could tell me, which bike producer is offering it as a separate part so I could order it here.

Next week I will receive some more parts and hopefully will start to assembly it.
Thank you in advance for help.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Post by predrag80 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Today I bought All Balls dust fork seals. I have never seen how they look and am a bit worry.

Is this the way how it is supposed to look?

At my old seals you don`t see that spring at all.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:05 pm

That is how the dust seals are supposed to look, at least the all-balls ones. I have the same seals on my YZF600 forks and the spring is visible.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Post by predrag80 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Thank you very much for quick answer. My old ones don`t look the same so that`s why I was worried.

Another thing that I wanted to ask you: I had very bad brake pistons so I decided to make new ones on lathe from stainless steel bar. Well, not me but my uncle to make them. Anyway, one of my friends asked me why don`t I make them of teflon, because on enduro or cross bikes they are made of teflon and he had no problem with them. So, I was wondering if they would be better to be made of this plastic or better not.

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Post by predrag80 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:03 am

Hallo,

Could anybody tell me what kind of AM kit could I use for changing front master brake cylinder seals? I haven`t found anything on ebay so I was wondering if someone tried to change just interior seals from another type master cylinder. Of course that I have found OEM but kit but it is very expensive comparing on what you get. And, only thing that is wearing out are those 2 seals. Some help, please?!

And some more pictures :)

My new windshield

And brand new tyres (DOT 0315) that came on Tuesday:

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Post by TonyKZ1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:57 am

Those tires are great, that's what I'm using. They seem to work good wet or dry and are lasting pretty good so far, I've put over 8k miles on them in the 9 months since I mounted them. As for the windshield, where did you find that? That looks great too, especially with the Yamaha logo on the bottom it must be a factory windshield for a similar bike? My '97's windshield doesn't look like that (especially since the p.o. painted it black!!) nor does the TDM 850 that I just googled.
Tony
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.