Restoring Yamaha XJ600S 1998

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Romania
Motorcycles:: 1997 YAMAHA XJ 600 N
Romania

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:44 am

Awesome seat!
Have you finished it?
1997 XJ600N Diversion
-(rusted inside)Marving Master 4 in 2 exhaust system
-DID X-Ring Chain 520 VX-Gold 110 Link
-Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Motorcycles:: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S
Romania

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:58 am

Thank you! Unfortunately haven't got the time.
I'm renovating my appartment and garage is full of materials.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:16 am

predrag80 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:58 am
Thank you! Unfortunately haven't got the time.
I'm renovating my appartment and garage is full of materials.
You, sir, must be cut from the same cloth as I am. :)
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Romania

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 am

After so long period of time I haven`t wrote anything on this thread, I want to update it little bit.
I returned my gloves Held Toni back to the seller, hoping for a fear refund... and bought new ones. This time I kind-a bought the right size.
My new gloves: Held Bolt, size 11 (XXL):

I also bought some fairing stainless steal bolts from ebay UK and some other parts from Aliexpress, like smartphone charger for bike (it`ll go on contact), smartphone motorcycle holder (dedicated for Samsung S7, as I happen to have it and it is water proof), some spring band clips for fuel hoses, some electrical connectors same model as on the bike (it is so hard to find those in these parts of the world - at Louis are expensive as gold) and some carburetor needle brushes. For the time being, I am still occupied with renovation so no time for bike. I suppose that I`ll have a quiet winter in front of me with plenty of time.
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Romania

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 am

I also made an automatic chain oiler using an petrol electrovalve which will be connected to power thru contact. For container I used a fluid oil bottle from Lada. In order to avoid continuous oil flow, I could be using a regulatory valve, but preferred to buy an electronic timer. But I think that the valve should be fine.
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Romania

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:03 pm

4 years passed and I still haven`t finished mi bike. Oh, well. What can I say?! I am close and hope that this year will have the time to enjoy with it. Anyway, in the meantime I bought some new things, like Colortune...
... a pair of motorcycle jeans from Louis for 70 EUR...
...and a tank bag also from Louis.
I found a proper petrol tank from a mini dirt bike...
... attached a fuel switch and a petrol filter and prepared it for carb sinc. The tank has 1L capacity, so, I think it will be enough. unfortunately I don`t have pictures with it but I`ll make them by tomorrow. If someone is interested to make it, you will need all parts for M8 interior whole.

Also I`m preparing to install LED bulbs in dashboard (T10 socket -green, white, red and blue) in turning lights (BA15S / P21W socket - yellow) and stop light (BAY15D / P21-5W socket). Already have electronic flasher. I have doubts about stop light bulb, because it has to light also plate number, so it has to be white but for the stop light it has to be red. Has anyone replaced stop light bulb with LED one? As for headlight, I already bought a Philips extreme vision for motorcycle so I will leave as it is. Next step will definitely be a LED H4 bulb.

In the meantime, I also bought a present for my father`s birthday and refreshed it a little bit. What do you say about this one?

P.S. As you might observe, I have to make some order in my garage...
MattP
Formerly spr1
Region:: Silesia
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ 600 Diversion
Poland

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:03 am

Messy garage means the garage which lives! Unless you're @radare, then it's the opposite ;)
I have to admit that's the first time I've seen Tomos brand. Never even heard of them.
Now when I checked their website, I remember seeing plenty of similar bikes in Czechia. Funny little toys! I can imagine having one :)
Are they popular in Romania?

Also good to see you're going forward with the xj - good luck with tuning and let us know how hard it is with colortune.
'96 Seca II
Matt
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Romania

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:33 am

Thank`s Matt. I have plenty of left material which I have to take to the village. My apartment is almost renovated so, I guess, it will happen soon enough. Then I planed to renew garage: electrics, new gate, sound proof and ventilation, etc.

Tomos is barely known in Romania. It is though very popular in Serbia, where from I bought it. It``s a copy of Puch Maxi made in former Yugoslav town of Koper, now in Slovenia. I like it because it doesn`t have pedals but kick starter and it`s 2 gears automatic gear box. They produce it, I think, in Denmark also. In USA is also popular, as it seams. Comparing it to Yamaha XJ 600, it is really a toy.

I will come back with an update on Colortune, as soon as I have some spare time for the bike.

Picture of a service petrol tank for carb adjustment:

And my phone holder for Samsung S7 on bike

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us