Radare's '97 Seca II Restoration (aka Project Mousetrap)

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Sun May 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Bigfeet51 wrote:I bet money that it doesn't look like that anymore
*GASP!!* Don't say things like that!
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Sun May 04, 2014 8:43 pm

SpeedRacerOnline wrote:
SpeedRacer, that's just my way of giving credit to the beauty of the bike :)

SpeedRacerOnline
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Sun May 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Bigfeet51 wrote:
SpeedRacerOnline wrote:
SpeedRacer, that's just my way of giving credit to the beauty of the bike :)
PHEW! You scared me there! To me, that bike will always be "the one that got away". *sigh!*
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Chiya
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Utrecht
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ 600 S Diversion 1998

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Wow Radare, epic resto. This is my first day on the forum and my very first post. I started reading your project from page 1 at 12 AM now it's 5 AM. I couldn't stop reading. Just Epic.

I purchased a Xj 600 s Diversion 1998 for a 100 euro's. Might follow your project as inspiration :D!

Lot's of respect from Holland,
Chiya.

TwoWheelGeorge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: New York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca2
United States of America

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:10 pm

I love this bike. You're restoration is above and beyond awesome. I bought a 1993 seca ii just under a week ago. Same color you had prior to the resto. I love your color sheme.
The gloss and satin blacks, the burnt copper, the tinted front screen. I want to replicate it exactly. Well almost, I don't have the same side fairings. I love the black pieces right under the tank. I could work that in with a two tone paint job.
The toughest part of this resto for me will be the center bottom fairing. So my question is this: is that a stock item on your bike? And if not, what is it, or where dId you get it?
I do have enough pics of yours from various angles, and enough fiberglass work skills so that if I can't source one, I'll make one.

TwoWheelGeorge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
United States of America

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 pm

So... I see you were either very busy, or just could care less to answer my questions. So, I simply read the entire thread and gathered all the part #s and paint codes I needed, and enough photos to reverse engineer your project. Most of my paints and parts are already in my house. I won't waste anymore of your time, but... I will post so pics when I replicate your bike.
Thanks for the great self explanatory thread. Great forum
2wheels

Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:18 am

TwoWheelGeorge wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 pm
So... I see you were either very busy, or just could care less to answer my questions.
Did you re-read your post before submitting it? Coming across as fairly aggressive if you dont mind my saying so.

Radare spends a great deal of his time helping forum members on here, it definitely won't be that he doesnt care!

For what its worth, they come up on ebay occasionally and (in the UK anyway) are available aftermarket from Powerbronze. Wemoto.com sell them, just punch it into Google.
Nelsonmd wrote: My 4runner on the other hand... I decided she needed to be a girl only because I spent so much time underneath/inside her, I didn't want to think of her as a dude...

TwoWheelGeorge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
United States of America

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:29 am

Sorry for sounding "fairly aggressive "
But, let's look at the facts...
When I asked nicely, preceding my questions with lots of rightfully deserved compliments I was totally ignored for weeks. Now, I come across as "fairly aggressive" and I got a response and answers to my questions (even though I already researched it on my own and found out what I was looking for).
So who was "fairly aggressive " me, by patiently waiting from anyone on this board for weeks, or you, who gave an answer only when I became impatient ("fairly aggressive ")?
I'm not a noob to mechanics, I've been a gear head for about 30 yrs. I often ask questions even if I have a good idea of the answer because I'm not full of myself. I like to bounce around ideas and knowledge.
That's how you improve. I apologize if I succumbed to a moment of typing how I really felt.
2wheels

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:00 am

TwoWheelGeorge wrote:
I'm not a noob to mechanics, I've been a gear head for about 30 yrs. I often ask questions even if I have a good idea of the answer because I'm not full of myself. I like to bounce around ideas and knowledge.
That's how you improve. I apologize if I succumbed to a moment of typing how I really felt.
2wheels
I guess in those 30-years, you never much learned how to be patient or use your ingenuity to search for the things you need. God helps those who help themselves, as the saying goes. The lower fairing is either a 'lower fairing' or a 'belly pan'. There is a wealth of information on it here on this site if you search. Here's a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=98&t=6592

TwoWheelGeorge
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
United States of America

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:43 am

TwoWheelGeorge wrote:

(even though I already researched it on my own and found out what I was looking for).

2wheels
I guess you missed this part?.....

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: