xj600 4wheeler build

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
secaIIwarrior
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92-XJ600 79-XS1100SF

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:25 am

Yamaha rules!! ok, got that out of my system, my names Rich, live in Ohio, and what I'm doing to my seca is blasphemy... I bought a 92 SecaII for $250, pretty much basket case with exception of the engine and electronics, it even starts, carbs gummed up though, I'm not restoring or rebuilding this but its being used in a 4 wheeler project, My secaIIWarrior aka Yamaha Warrior, doing a transplant into a 4 wheeler, for riding I really want to get another xj1100 80-81. Rich
To continue the saga "92 SecaII xj600 transplant into an 01Yamaha Warrior"......Got the frame welded in, still have to tie in the front of the warrior frame along with making a rear motor mount and maybe even an upper mount for added support. So today was a lot of grinding and welding. Sat the engine in the frame, the front factory seca motor mounts fit like a glove, even the exhaust header pipes fit, my stock fuel tank fit as I suspected as will the fenders and the rest of the warrior's components. Well I know forum readers love pics like kids like candy, so here's the updated pics.
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain
01 Warrior project (92 XJ600 Seca II), 79 XS1100 SF

swartz77
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 XJ600 NakedConv

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm surprised at how well it fits. Very interesting. I can't wait to see how you work out the exhaust.

secaIIwarrior
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:02 am

The exhaust shouldn't be all that hard, a quick "s" bend to pull it out between the frame and rear wheels and angle upward roughly th the stock position, and a couple of nice aftermarket ATV mufflers to finish it off.
Just finished tying in the frame, again went fairly easy, next a lttle more disassembly and frame painting. I'm waiting for the roadblock in this project that I haven't hit yet. if this goes well, I may try and market this type of hybrid bike making come spring/summer to others interested in owning such an ATV and has a donor bike. Rich 8-)
"Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:11 am

That's a really slick project. Nice work on squeezing the two chassis' together!

secaIIwarrior
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks! I think the big mistake I've notice many other bike builders is the combining ATV and MC frames is over thinking, usually cutting the Atv frame in half and trying to graff to much of the original MC frame to the project which leads to a chain reaction of numerous modifications due to a great many of the original ATV components no longer fitting or being usable, such as fenders and fuel tank, well the list goes on, you end up making a whole bike practically from scratch rendering it cost ineffective unless you have unlimited resources. The way I looked at it was a MC engine is just another engine, wether it be from an ATV a MC or another whole brand of Bike. I originally was looking at a Suzuki GS550 as they are so plentiful and reliable but wanted to stay true to Yamaha, I guess in my mind, it makes me think it's a little less of a Frankenstien bike than a mere engine swap. Who knows, this engine may prove a little more troublesome than I want, and may elect to revamp the bike with a different engine, and if I do, I don't think it will require all that many different modifications to adapt a totaly different powerplant as a whole lot of mods weren't required as of yet. Only time will tell. Wish I had more access to Yamaha chain drive 4 strokes, but shaft drives are a plenty. Will update with some more pics in the upcoming days. Rich 8-)

secaIIwarrior
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Well, it was just a matter of time before I jinxed myself, an issue with the front sprocket mentioned in another post in the project section along with a bigger snafu....I'm finding it extremely difficult finding intake manifolds to fit this head that are straight back instead of swept upward. Radian doesn't work along with FZ's and a few others, any suggestion??(will probably take one to the boneyard before giving up to try to find a match)...otherwise I might be getting creative again only this time with aluminum brazing...or maybe you'll be finding a 92 15,+ xj600 engine for sale.

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am

Well, it's probably too late now to change anything but on the XJ600 quad that was on here about a year ago it looked like he used the XJ frame, gas tank, and engine and welded the quad parts to it. Wish I could find that picture for you.
Better to be over the hill than under it.

secaIIwarrior
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:34 pm

I've seen one like that, way too much fab work involved, plus you pretty much need the XJ to start with.

secaIIwarrior
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:28 pm

OK, a quick update, Cut the old XJ's front sprocket and welded the 13 tooth in place, went fairly smooth, banged off any flashing, hit it with the welder one more time, a little cleaning and grinding to ensure chain clearance, and it looks to do the job, even corrects I'd say about 95% of the offset issue. It even looks as it won't interfere with the chain guard, which was going to be my next concern.
I've also have an idea for the intake issue, I'm thinking about making a couple aluminum 1/2" spacers (5x3x1/2 inch) to bolt to the head on each side in place of the intakes, then I can use some older XS or XJ intakes. My spacer will either be 1/2 0r 3/4 of an inch thick, I'll countersink the mounting bolts and then turn the intakes to the other direction and mount them directly to the spacer. Feel pretty confident this will work, will post some pics of both when I get both headaches done, then it should be a matter of cleaning,paint and reassembly. Still have to clean and rebuild the carbs, but hopefully, that will be the only remaining challenge. :!: 8-)

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Here's the bike 1Oldman was referencing. I finally found it.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93