Project Learning Curve

Custom XJ builds, restorations, major modifications or just a topic dedicted to your own bike. Look here for long term cool projects.
Mikey Boost
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Hello all,

Well, I bought a '97 Seca II from a dude that said it was running on three cylinders. I bought it for $200, so I thought, what the heck. It only has 5,100 miles on it, how bad could it be? Little did I know...

Here it is, not too rough looking until you really get into it.

Then I decided to try and find my cylinder problem. So I popped off the tank, carbs, and boots and behold!

That is a funny way for the intake valve to be positioned...

Well, now i need to find out just how bad it really is, so I took off the head and shined my flashlight down on the pistons...

Dammit. Not what I wanted to see.

And then now the combustion chamber in the head -2 valve heads and it looks like a crater. Great. At least I fished out what I could find of the piston...

So, now my predicament is, where am I gonna find a new engine? This one isn't worth saving. The cylinder walls are scarred really deep and the head would take days of grinding....
Last edited by Mikey Boost on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out the resto/mod of my '97 XJ600S: http://xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4445

This topic has 156 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login