Project: Dzida

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Create a project page and tell us about the things you're doing to your XJ.
Casper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Re: Project: Dzida

Post by Casper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 am

In reality, you only need 1 tab on the nut retaining washer and the other tab is for when the first one wears out.

It's only job is to provide a flat surface the nut doesn't want to turn against and prevent the chance of vibrations backing it off.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj 600s '99

Post by jaszczomb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

Probably Your'e right, but you know - last time I was changing front sprocket, unscrewing nut was so hard that I spend hour to do this. This time I was able to do this by hands only, so I realized that this little thing saved me from much damage :/ after that instead waiting for another tab to break, I've just spend $5 for new one.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:34 pm

jaszczomb wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am
Probably Your'e right, but you know - last time I was changing front sprocket, unscrewing nut was so hard that I spend hour to do this. This time I was able to do this by hands only, so I realized that this little thing saved me from much damage :/ after that instead waiting for another tab to break, I've just spend $5 for new one.
I've been there too. Those nuts seem to be either super-tight or hand-tight. I suspect due to vibration and usage.

buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Post by buckinghamjf68 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Great project, love the dash panel you gone for, there retailing for about £120 in the UK