Project: Dzida

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Create a project page and tell us about the things you're doing to your XJ.
Casper
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Re: Project: Dzida

Post by Casper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:58 am

In reality, you only need 1 tab on the nut retaining washer and the other tab is for when the first one wears out.

It's only job is to provide a flat surface the nut doesn't want to turn against and prevent the chance of vibrations backing it off.
ImageImageImage

jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj 600s '99

Post by jaszczomb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

Probably Your'e right, but you know - last time I was changing front sprocket, unscrewing nut was so hard that I spend hour to do this. This time I was able to do this by hands only, so I realized that this little thing saved me from much damage :/ after that instead waiting for another tab to break, I've just spend $5 for new one.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:34 pm

jaszczomb wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am
Probably Your'e right, but you know - last time I was changing front sprocket, unscrewing nut was so hard that I spend hour to do this. This time I was able to do this by hands only, so I realized that this little thing saved me from much damage :/ after that instead waiting for another tab to break, I've just spend $5 for new one.
I've been there too. Those nuts seem to be either super-tight or hand-tight. I suspect due to vibration and usage.

buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Post by buckinghamjf68 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Great project, love the dash panel you gone for, there retailing for about £120 in the UK