my r6 tail mod

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
necody1
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 96 Seca II

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 pm

ok so i started a lil thread in mods section but i guess i should start a project thread.. little history i guess would help its a 96 seca II that was wrecked and i bought it from a guy who had bought it from a junkyard just a few weeks before i bought it from him. it still has the junkyard tag on the tank ha. but despite the damage it seems to ride just fine and runs and starts pretty darn good! unfortunately it has no title so ill have to bond for it but i hear its not too expensive. needs all kinds of stuff too. it needs both clutch and front brake levers. they are functional but both are chipped and a tab on the clutch lever is broken so its kinda flimsy. and i think its called the stator cover(plastic cover) on the motor? that has a crack in it. tank has a couple dents. bike is still dirty etc.. but i guess it will suit my desire.. im workin on a r6 tail conversion and ive started taking apart just about everything on the rear end but not gonna jump to far until i get a seat to measure up. i still need the front seat, either a rear seat or seat cowl, and some integrated tail lights. the lights are like 20 bucks on ebay so no sweat there. the cowl has a couple scuffs and scratches on the one side as you can probably see in the pics. but the plastic is solid and with a lil sanding and possibly a tiny bit of bondo to make it perfect before paint. i have a pretty good idea of where i think im gonna have to cut the frame. ill take some way better pics of everything soon along the way but heres a couple pics just messin around with it in my packed garage.

necody1
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:45 pm

ok so i found a seat..its actually a cbr seat i think?? im really not sure but picked it up for 20 bucks so im gonna use it..plus it wouldnt be a custom fighter without having all kindsa frankenstien parts. anyways started some of the cutting today... its actually a pretty scary thought now that i cut the frame... no turning back now!! im gonna have to relocate the computer and i pretty much just sawed the fender back. way back, to fit the r6 undertail. heres a couple pics of everything just sitting veery loosely.. had to wedge some shims to get the tail to sit for the pics. once i get everything properly fitted it will look alot more flush.. im gonna have to weld some little brackets and a couple of small support bars and stuff to hold the tail in place. im also gonna try and cut the original side panels from the original tail to flow into the r6 tail to cover the battery and other components underneath the seat to give it an even more natural flush look. re-welding of the frame coming soon!

necody1
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:56 pm

any input would be great. anything im missing? any ideas to better this project?

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:21 pm

necody1 wrote:any input would be great. anything im missing? any ideas to better this project?
Looks like you still need the smooth under tail section to make it look right.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZF-R6-Y ... 20b4340d58
Better to be over the hill than under it.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Is it possible to source a stock R6 tail subframe? You could cut off the current subframe and weld the R6 variant in place. They all the R6 bits would fit and look stock.

necody1
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Geez I hadn't thought of that one.. Although that sounds like I would need to probably buy an entire frame. And that's probably expensive and as usual my budgets hold me back a lot ha so unless somethin falls in my lap ill most likely be ridin the bike out to aurora to my buddies and get some brackets welded on. But I'm excited to get this thing road worthy

Seca2
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca 2

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 pm

It would be really sweet to tuck the exhaust under the tail, not sure how you would run the pipes, but that's just another thought that would clean it up....

Also, how about painting the whole bike the color of the tail, that would be different...

Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region or State: New England
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Seca2 wrote:It would be really sweet to tuck the exhaust under the tail, not sure how you would run the pipes, but that's just another thought that would clean it up....

Also, how about painting the whole bike the color of the tail, that would be different...
The bikes that have that feature have a much more inclined tail angle, allowing more clearance under the tail. I think you would not be able to clear your rear tire at full stuff unless you made a very custom muffler that is very flat and can basically sit inside the subframe. Of course that might inadvertantly give you a seat warmer too, which could be a plus on cold days. Not so much for the summer though.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Seca2
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca 2

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Looking at my bike, it would be a bit impossible to run that exhaust under the tail, unless you ran a wrapped oval pipe under the seat (good winter bike) and out to round.

But it would be sweet if it could be pulled off....

Me and my silly ideas....

:kudos:

necody1
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:24 am

Ok so I bought me a nice lil welder over the weekend and started welding the main support bracket. Gonna have to weld some more smaller brackets here and there to help hold the tail. And yes I have to angle the tail much higher than the original Seca tail but It doesn't look like im gonna be able to angle the tail enough to fit an exhaust underneath without makin it look too high. But I'm thinkin maybe I can put the exhaust sitting along side the tail still under the tail but not directly under the tail. but still unsure until I get the tail to sit nicley on the newly welded frame to be sure. was wanting to paint it all flat black and maybe some silver here and there with a clear coat to give the black just a lil shine.. Would that be too typical? Or Should I go with the blue? I'm in the middle of switching back to comcast internet so will be a few days before I can post pics of the welding. Remember its gonna be a street fighter so its gonna have pretty much nothing but the frame, tank, tail and lights. So I'm not really tryin to make it look super nice but it should look pretty cool for the fighter fans out there I'm hopin

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93