1982 XJ550 - lets make this thing cooler - thread

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Create a project page and tell us about the things you're doing to your XJ.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS

1982 XJ550 - lets make this thing cooler - thread

Post by arnehulstein » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:03 am

Just to recap:
Back in October 2012 I was finally able to get my motorcycle license. To make sure I could ride, I bought an old XJ600 pre-Diversion that needed 'some' work. In the end I did a lot of work on it. You can see what I did in the XJ600 project thread.
In the end, the XJ600 wasn't my ultimate bike. So, I sold it to make room for another bike. My Honda Transalp. Which, funnily enough, is a bike bought in the US that has made a trip across the ocean to end up here in the Netherlands. Read more about that in the Transalp project thread.
That was when I thought I would quit the XJ's and move on. But faith intervened. I came across a guy that wanted to sell his XJ550, but nobody wanted to have it. So, after a bit of emailing, I snapped it up for a song and took it home.
This thread starts at that email exchange and will hopefully evolve into a full project thread where I will get the XJ550 running (already did that) and modify it into something cool and different.

Stay tuned!
(Recap added 7 March 2014)

Ok, I might be back as an XJ rider sooner than we all expected. I talked to someone and one thing led to another, which means that I will hopefully be picking up a 1983 XJ550 on Saturday evening. It has had a service and a new rear tire, but runs like **** as the current owner switched to pod filters and never changed jets. So the cold start is terrible etc. Fork seals are shot and the bike was meant to be a winter bike, so it is not that much of a looker. I am thinking about turning this one into a cafe racer. But first I have to make some room in the garage. ;)

Pics as the bike gets here...

greeny4704
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: marion ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 xj600 4k / 93 xj600 13k

Re: New project

Post by greeny4704 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 am

Woot woot! I like the gas monkey take you posted up on the other bike section!
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 am

greeny4704 wrote:Woot woot! I like the gas monkey take you posted up on the other bike section!
It might end up somewhere along those lines. Not sure yet. Need to get the bike here first, to see what it is like to see what I can achieve. I am hoping the metal is in reasonable condition. I don't really mind the chrome much as I will probably ditch that anyway. I won't be using the firestone style balloon tires the Wrenchmonkeys put on theirs. But there is no saying what will happen yet. ;)

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Post by xjman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 am

is it anything like the above? :)

these are the ones?

Think it might be XJ 550
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Yes, Bender. I made a typo. It is an XJ550 from 1983. Not sure, but that might have been called a Seca in the US. ;)

As I have not got a manual and I need to rebuild the fork, does anyone know whether the fork is very different from the early XJ600's as I have a Haynes for that. If they are similar, I might be able to use that diagram to pull the fork apart and replace the seals.

And if anyone knows the steps I should take to tune the carbs so they will work with pod filters... ;)

Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 07 FZ6

Post by Full Circle » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:09 pm

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:14 am

Full Circle wrote:Linky Linky to a TON of XJ manuals! :brow:

Good Luck!

Adam
Thanks Adam

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Re: 1983 XJ550

Post by arnehulstein » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:50 pm

And yes, the deal happened. I now am the proud owner of an XJ550 from 1983. The paint is terrible, the chrome is reasonable, the wiring is a mess and so is the front brake. But there is little rust if any and most of the important bits are there. Looking forward to getting this bike back on the road in modified form. ;)
But as it is 0.48 now, I am not going to start on that today.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler

Post by arnehulstein » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 am

Ok, just a quick picture I got from the ad the previous owner ran:

I will not be doing anything to it the coming week, so I thought I would post this picture for the picture-loving crowd. ;)

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:56 am

Sweet! That looks like it'll be a fun project! Glad to see you back into XJ's so quickly.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal