Project Scrambler *Picture heavy*

Every XJ is a project whether big or small. Tell us about yours.
Kanten
XJOTM May 2013
XJOTM May 2013
Region or State: Copenhagen, Denmark
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2000 XJ 600 N

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:20 pm

The amount of images finally caught up to me, so I'd better make a project thread.

I started with this stock XJ 600 N from 2000, in very good shape. I wanted something reliable and easy, but the XJ still lacked a bit of charm and personality for my taste. This is where the scrambler comes into play, as I've always had a thing for mean looking off-roaders. It's not going to be used offroad very much, I just simply love the "ruggedness" of it.

So I did a quick photoshop version of what I wanted to do

The XJ got stored away for winter, and it's only recently that I've been able to work on it.
I started with new indicators + relay, handlebars, bar-end mirror and a rock guard on the headlight

Next up was the common 650R/ER6 rear shock swap. I got one from Germany that was unused, at a very nice price.
Here's the stance

Then came my Leo Vince exhaust with a matching 2-1 link pipe (so I have a 4-2-1 exhaust system)
This is before the can came on, and I really love the way this looks!! Wish I could keep it like that :)

And on with the can, that I've chopped a bit and painted.
It has a nice sound to it, but crackles/tiny pops a bit if I accelerate hard and then lay off the gas. Is that a sign of running lean or rich?

Then I had my new dual-sport tires mounted, after a lot of trouble finding tires that would fit the original rims. I ended up with Heidenau K73 on the front and K60 (with a tube in it) on the rear.

Gave it a good rubbin'

Got creative with a pen

And mounted my bikini-fairing (not a 100% pleased with this yet, partly because the mounting from stock with the huge gap sucks! And from the low camera angle, it looks like a bra :laughter: )

Now it's just a matter of receiving my new (longer) grips and then ride it like I stole it!
I'll get some pictures soon with the whole bike in it, to show off it's rowdyness ;)
2000 Yamaha XJ 600 N - Scrambler
1980 Moto Guzzi V50 II - Cafe Racer

Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Region or State: United Kingdom
Motorcycles Owned Currently: The Rust Bucket

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 pm

I like very much so!

Would be cool if you could fit the exhaust higher up and fit some fork gators

Would finish the look off I think ;)
1992 Yamaha XJ 600 Neikiddo

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"

MisterX
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Nice work so far. I like the look. :kudos:
Full Circle wrote:She's a wee bit damp. Nothing that a quick warm up won't take care of.

jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj 600s '99

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Nice job :kudos: . I especially like your tires. I have to change my front tire and this k73 looks awesome. I'm just little worried how it will work on wet, had you chance to test them in such conditions?

Kanten
XJOTM May 2013
XJOTM May 2013

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 am

Cheers guys

@Detonation: The fork gaiters are on my list, I actually have them ready. I just can't find a clever way to lift the front end of the bike, without the centerstand or any special tools (and that I'm working outdoors, so no way to use a beam or any structure) Any tricks are welcome :)

@jaszczomb: Haven't had the tires out on any serious wet roads yet. But the tires are listed as supermoto all-grip tires, and it actually says "Super Rain" on them. So it should be alright, but don't know how long they last.

Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:36 am

I use axel stands under the frame rails

But bricks, metal tool boxes, anything solid really could be used.

Build Thread

"Nitrous is like a cheap hooker, you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences"

Kanten
XJOTM May 2013
XJOTM May 2013

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:20 am

Brilliant, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I tried once with some thick wooden blocks, but it just wasn't stable enough for me to trust it.

Meanwhile, I snapped some quick pictures while at work. Something doesn't work for me, I think the front is too busy. Maybe it will help when I get the black from fork gaiters, if not I'lll remove the fairing I think. Any ideas on looks?

And also, regarding my pops/crackles when decelerating off the throttle/engine braking, does anyone know if that is a sign of lean or rich?

Golly
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Perth, Western Australia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 XJ600 Seca II

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 am

Love the two piece rear fairings, do the 97 style bolt straight onto the 92 frames, or do lugs have to be welded on ?

Detonation
Hungry Like the Wolf!
Hungry Like the Wolf!

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:45 am

Bolt straight on mate, I got a 99 tail on my 92.

I think it looks great kanten!

Build Thread

Cafesito305
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: FL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994, Yami secaii

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Kanten wrote:Brilliant, I don't know why I didn't think of it. I tried once with some thick wooden blocks, but it just wasn't stable enough for me to trust it.

Meanwhile, I snapped some quick pictures while at work. Something doesn't work for me, I think the front is too busy. Maybe it will help when I get the black from fork gaiters, if not I'lll remove the fairing I think. Any ideas on looks?

And also, regarding my pops/crackles when decelerating off the throttle/engine braking, does anyone know if that is a sign of lean or rich?

I heard jetting these makes them run smooth and cool.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93